Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-16-2010, 02:03 PM   #46
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I do have a vision of the near future when your hardware fades in significance. For example, very few people discuss what brand or type of toaster you own ("Oooh, four slots and fits a bagel!"). Yeah, there are exceptions but it is an appliance. The application of Moore's Law is rapidly bringing us to the same point in just a few years with computational power.

Maybe we'll still bicker over OS's but I expect that to die as computational power allows more mutable interfaces strictly through emulation (no dedicated firmware). I suppose we'll be bickering about which emulation or overlay is best. But I also expect there will be as much investment required to check out the "other side" as there is today. The cost of converting my software far exceeds the cost of the hardware.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:11 PM   #47
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I do have a vision of the near future when your hardware fades in significance. For example, very few people discuss what brand or type of toaster you own ("Oooh, four slots and fits a bagel!"). Yeah, there are exceptions but it is an appliance. The application of Moore's Law is rapidly bringing us to the same point in just a few years with computational power.

Maybe we'll still bicker over OS's but I expect that to die as computational power allows more mutable interfaces strictly through emulation (no dedicated firmware). I suppose we'll be bickering about which emulation or overlay is best. But I also expect there will be as much investment required to check out the "other side" as there is today. The cost of converting my software far exceeds the cost of the hardware.
I like that thought.
We might argue more about which server our mindlink is connected to. Still, the discussion will remain binary, just like the connection...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:29 PM   #48
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have an other doubt. I fear that the iPad may not be able to print documents by itself other than uploading to a host computer. I have seen no mention of this anywhere. Will I be able to install my wireless printer to it?
Can iPod touch and iPhones print documents?
Old 02-18-2010, 08:35 PM   #49
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I don't think anything's been announced about the iPad and printing.

I've not heard of printing capabilities on the iPhone or Ipod Touch--but I don't own either so someone else could clarify.

It's not a big deal to me. I don't have wireless printers at home or the office so I'd be moving e-mailing my docs to print from a PC anyway. But it is a feature they could support pretty easily I'd think, and many would find it useful.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #50
FireRunner
eAddict
FireRunner is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackau View Post
I own a Mac Mini, I like the Apple OS, it is my media center and media net broswer. So i am no Apple hater, i am an apple user.
But at times i can't help to be put off by some fans who worship everything Apple throws out.

Apple's hardware is at most, market as the designer handbag of the IT scene, its hardware always at a premium: I got a phone with the same hardware as Iphone 3GS, better screen and a great camera but 200 dollar cheaper than the Iphone 3G! So the wroth of the idevice lies solely with the brand and the OS.

The latest Ipad is billed as an E-reader with a lot more on offer, or a big media player with a lot more on offer, but actually it was not even a jack of all trade. It is however very nice device for some special purposes namely education, industrual communication, management operations and so on. Not as Apple want consumers to use it as.

For the general public, this generation of Ipad is nothing more than a over size ipod that can read books better. I would rather read a book on my Cool-er than the Ipad. For the current price, which roughly carries a production cost of 300 USD for its top range model, 499 is very expensive even for the cheapest model. The price premium on the OS and design does not justisifed this time around.

For the 499 USD price tag, consumer is better off with those inch thin long battery life notebook with 11.6 to 12.1 inch screen running Windows 7 (or Mac OS if they can put it on.)

According to my gang of IT educated friends, none of them want to buy the device, even those Apple fans was disappointed. I don't think the mass public would flock out to get the thing this time around at this price. People don't want to pay 499 or more for another device to remind them how bad the economy is. The Boom years of pre-2007 is history.

So for ipad to succeed, I expect the telco be selling it for 299 at 16GB and 459 for the 64GB version bundled with a 3G data plan and magazine / news paper subscription. OR sell the 16GB model with 3G is at no more than 349 USD, the 64 G 3G model at 499!
This is one of the best posts I've read about the iPad.
FireRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:02 PM   #51
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
I don't think anything's been announced about the iPad and printing.

I've not heard of printing capabilities on the iPhone or Ipod Touch--but I don't own either so someone else could clarify.

It's not a big deal to me. I don't have wireless printers at home or the office so I'd be moving e-mailing my docs to print from a PC anyway. But it is a feature they could support pretty easily I'd think, and many would find it useful.
Doing a little research, all I found was an iPhone ap called Active Print that works through a PC or Mac that is wireless, from the iPad.
Yeah, right!
That thing is feeling more and more boxed in...
Old 02-19-2010, 04:30 AM   #52
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
There are many apps that allow printing from iPhone OS, but few that allow you to print anything but photos directly to a wifi-enabled printer. Of these, most require you to forget you're in the 21st century, and cut & paste the text into the print app - slick! - or have an app installed on a desktop or laptop to act as some kind of interpreter.

So, printing from an iPhone is obviously an issue for the folks that need to do it (though as an aside, like cut&paste, it's something I've never needed, personally...). That said, I'd be disappointed if Apple actually shipped the iPad without some kind of printing ability enabled (especially with the effort that's gone in to iWork for iPad) though not totally surprised; iPad (this version, at least) is being pitched as something that sits between your laptop and you smartphone, and whilst I agree that it would probably serve the computing needs of many people (e.g. my parents) it isn't a fully-fledged, multi-purpose 'computer' in itself - if it was, it would have multi-tasking, Flash support, SD-card slots, USB ports, a pull-out keyboard and a webcam that reads what you're typing over your shoulder and translates everything into Esperantu - right?

So, to sum up - it's still six weeks away from being on sale. Nobody knows, outside of Apple, what features it will have when it's available. It may be fun to speculate, but to write something off because the current OS that it might ship with wasn't intended to support a feature you may need on a device that's still weeks away from shipping doesn't make a lot of sense to me. <shrug>

Cheers, Pete.
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote