Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-12-2016, 05:20 PM   #1
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
1916 The Easter Rising (Ireland)

It's a century since this very important aspect of Irish history. I've never read anything on it, and it's time I did!!

Tim Pat Coogan's '1916 Easter Rising' looks like a grand place to start, alas, it seems that it's the only one of Coogan's books not to have been made an ebook ...

So, who's read on the Rising, and can recommend a book or three?

EDIT
I would like to open out this thread so that anyone who has an interest in reading on the topic, or allied subject matter, can post the books they've read or are interested in.

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 03-15-2016 at 01:19 AM. Reason: add the edit
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:25 PM   #2
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
One of the finest poems in the English language was inspired by the Easter Rising, W.B.Yeats' "Easter 1916". It is a very short poem, but vasty.

Anything I've read is fairly old, but here is a recent survey article from the Irish Times:
http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/bo...umes-1.2498318

Last edited by bfisher; 03-12-2016 at 06:43 PM.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:50 PM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Here's a contemporary account, The Insurrection in Dublin, by James Stephens, pd in both Aus and US.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:46 PM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
There's also The Rising: Easter 1916, by Fearghal McGarry. This is the US Amazon edition, but Kobo carries it in various countries, too.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:13 AM   #5
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Morgan Llywelyn has a novel about the rebellion, 1916: A Novel of the Irish Rebellion. It was followed by 1921 and 1949.

http://www.amazon.com/1916-Novel-Iri...7874517&sr=1-2
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 05:13 PM   #6
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
I also have a non fiction recommendation. Leon Uris's Trinity

In Trinity, he writes passionately about the tragedy of Ireland - from the famine of the 1840s to the Easter Rising of 1916, a powerful and stirring novel about the loves and hates, the defeats and triumphs of three families - a terrible and beautiful drama spanning more than half a century.

There's also the sequel Redemption.
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:22 PM   #7
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Great recommendation, MickiTee.
Trinity is an excellent fictional account of the background leading up to the Easter Rising. I read it 40 years ago when it was first published, and much of it still sticks in my memory; it was a riveting story. It doesn't seem to be available as an ebook, unfortunately.

For non-fiction, there is a fairly recent account, Easter 1916: The Irish Rebellion by Charles Townshend, which is available for Kindle at Amazon Australia.

http://www.amazon.com.au/Easter-1916.../dp/B002RI9FR2
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:42 AM   #8
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you (and Karma) to everyone for the recommendations.

I've followed up on them all (and downloaded the Gutenberg ebook), but I'm now going to have to be quite prudent as to purchase of the remainder because of cost. (I'm hoping for another multi-use Kobo 90% code!)

Luckily my local library has Coogan's 'The Easter Rising', and I'm pleased that I'm reading the book because of all the photos. Having said that, I've purchased his '1916 The Mornings After'. I will also soonish purchase his biographies on De Valera and Michael Collins.

Reading The Easter Rising has quite agitated me from the earliest pages because of the historically well known and recorded views of a number of the English parliamentarians views regarding Irish 'home rule'.

Whilst I have been aware of these views for many years, it still doesn't make my acceptance of the issues and degradations towards the Irish peoples any easier to read or dwell upon!
Old 03-15-2016, 01:21 AM   #9
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

I would like to open out this thread so that anyone who has an interest in reading on the topic, or allied subject matter, can post the books they've read or are interested in.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:45 AM   #10
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
A novel set at the time (but of course written quite some time later) is The Red and the Green by Iris Murdoch.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote