Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 01-06-2014, 05:57 PM   #946
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by gong View Post
Otherwise, is there a way to change the page overlap to some arbitrary value? And also a way not to dim the overlapped part??
Chrox answered this here.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:26 AM   #947
xping
Connoisseur
xping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-books

Device: kobo aura hd, kobo mini, Sony prs-t3
Exclamation Progressive slowing down on kobo aura, in text reflow mode

Hi.

On kobo aura (2013) I'm experiencing progressive slowing down in text reflow (pdf).

For the first 5/10 pages, the speed of page turning is ok as well as menu response.

After some time the device stops responding and I have to force turn off and boot again.

Any clue?

(Kobo aura 2013, 3.1.1 firmware)
xping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:38 AM   #948
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Quote:
Originally Posted by xping View Post
Hi.

On kobo aura (2013) I'm experiencing progressive slowing down in text reflow (pdf).

For the first 5/10 pages, the speed of page turning is ok as well as menu response.

After some time the device stops responding and I have to force turn off and boot again.

Any clue?

(Kobo aura 2013, 3.1.1 firmware)
Interesting. Does it do this with all your pdf-files?

Could you create an new issue on github with ideally this problem description, a link to the pdf-file that generates the bug, a link to your koreader.log for the entire session between starting of koreader and forced turn off?

Please mention that you have a Kobo Aura HD, instead of Kobo Aura (2013).
Old 01-08-2014, 04:13 PM   #949
xping
Connoisseur
xping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-books

progressive solow down on kobo aura 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
Interesting. Does it do this with all your pdf-files?

Could you create an new issue on github with ideally this problem description, a link to the pdf-file that generates the bug, a link to your koreader.log for the entire session between starting of koreader and forced turn off?

Please mention that you have a Kobo Aura HD, instead of Kobo Aura (2013).
I'm going to open create new issue on github. For now I can say that crash,log contains only "killed" just as if It was stoppet by powering off (?)....
The question is that after some pages kobo aura (not hd) becomes so slow (not responsive) that every command is executed with a delay of (increasing seconds). It happens only with text reflow of pdfs (the interested pdf is a small one - 16 pages - Melville's "Bartleby").
Is just like if a sort of "buffer" become full and every command is processed with delay.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:29 AM   #950
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Sounds like a memory issue. Is this the latest release?
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:57 AM   #951
ktv
ktv began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura hd
Quote:
I'm going to open create new issue on github. For now I can say that crash,log contains only "killed" just as if It was stoppet by powering off (?)....
The question is that after some pages kobo aura (not hd) becomes so slow (not responsive) that every command is executed with a delay of (increasing seconds). It happens only with text reflow of pdfs (the interested pdf is a small one - 16 pages - Melville's "Bartleby").
Is just like if a sort of "buffer" become full and every command is processed with delay.
I have the same problem.
Kobo aura hd with 2.8.1 firmware
ktv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:50 AM   #952
xping
Connoisseur

memory issue (delay)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Sounds like a memory issue. Is this the latest release?
Yes, it is build 806. Going to try 810.

May we try to close ALL processes before launching Koreader???
Old 01-09-2014, 06:27 AM   #953
xping
Connoisseur

aura slowing down in reflow mode

Quote:

Ok the problem persists in 810 built.

I played with this issue and now I know that it is present only if I use bigger fonts.

it seems like if bigger is the font, slower is the device, but if I activate only reflow mode without resizing font, the device is fast and responsive

thx
Old 01-09-2014, 10:46 AM   #954
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:

I am using these in my koreader_kobo.sh:

# Decrease the reasons for crashes. Search forum for cgm999's explanation.
exec 3<&-

# Stop nickel and related processes
killall -STOP nickel
killall adobehost
killall dbus-daemon
killall Hindenburg

That should get almost all of the processes and close any files open for writing.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:02 AM   #955
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Ken; I might well be wrong, but I don't think that the "killall -STOP nickel" would close any files that nickel had open for writing; it will just ensure that the process is paused leaving all resources that it had open, open.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:09 AM   #956
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Ken; I might well be wrong, but I don't think that the "killall -STOP nickel" would close any files that nickel had open for writing; it will just ensure that the process is paused leaving all resources that it had open, open.
3<&- means that file descriptor 3, opened for writing(same as stdout), is closed.

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs...ties/exec.html

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 01-09-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:44 PM   #957
michald
michald began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Howdy all.
I believe I found a way to run koreader and nickel from kobo launcher with a fully operational touchscreen in all. Steps below. Appreciate any feedback.

This method involves writing a custom script into /tmp/exec.sh when koreader or nickel buttons are pressed in kobo launcher followed by terminating kobo launcher. When the launcher exits the custom script executes and launches the other software.

1) Add the following script as /usr/local/KoboLauncher/exec.sh

#!/bin/sh

F="/tmp/exec.sh"
echo "#!/bin/sh" > $F
echo "exec $1" >> $F
chmod +x $F
killall launcher

2) Add the following to kobolauncher applications.ini

Koreader = /usr/local/KoboLauncher/exec.sh "/usr/local/Koreader/koreader_kobo.sh /mnt"
Kobo Software = /usr/local/KoboLauncher/exec.sh "/usr/local/Kobo/nickel -qws -skipFontLoad"

3) Run Kobolauncher from the startup script /etc/init.d/rcS (or other) via the following code, appended to the end of rcS, instead of the default nickel (i left the hinderburg process running at all times):

(cd /usr/local/KoboLauncher; while [ 1 ]; do ./KoboLauncherA.sh; if [ -e /tmp/exec.sh ]; then /tmp/exec.sh; rm /tmp/exec.sh; fi; done) &

NOTE THE BRACKETS ABOVE!!!

4) To execute koreader or nickel from kobo launcher, press "Koreader" or "Kobo Software" button in launcher. Koreader or nickel should launch.

5) You may have to change /usr/local/KoboLauncher paths above to the correct path where kobo launcher is installed on your device.

BTW. Great thread. I am enjoying my hacked linux kobo (which ran android before however it was too slow for me).

EDIT: Changed so that koreader and nickel execute directly after pressing the button

Last edited by michald; 01-11-2014 at 09:23 AM.
michald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:59 AM   #958
Ken Maltby
Wizard

I was thinking that if the history folder were on the external uSD card along with the ebooks, then you could take your SD card from device to device, running Koreader, and have the same reading settings and position. Perhaps the program could check if there is a .History folder in the SD root and use that one, over the internal one?

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 01-11-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:41 PM   #959
sergeyvl12
ebook fan
sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 301+, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Onyx Boox A62, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by michald View Post
#!/bin/sh

F="/tmp/exec.sh"
echo "#!/bin/sh" > $F
echo "exec $1" >> $F
chmod +x $F
killall launcher
I provided more nice way to exit launcher:

echo "exit" > $VLASOVSOFT_FIFO

Please try.
sergeyvl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:36 PM   #960
Markismus
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I was thinking that if the history folder were on the external uSD card along with the ebooks, then you could take your SD card from device to device, running Koreader, and have the same reading settings and position. Perhaps the program could check if there is a .History folder in the SD root and use that one, over the internal one?

Luck;
Ken
In koreader/frontend/apps/filemanager you can find filemanagerhistory.lua. On line 61:
Code:
local history_dir = "./history/"
You could manually edit the file to point to wherever, or use the startup script to check whether there is another history directory with newer files and than use sed to edit the line before starting koreader and reverse it to normal after.

I think you could also write the whole thing at that point in the script.

Your main problem is probably motivation as your sdcard is only a little more mobile than your reader. With the chance of small things getting lost it is probably even less effectively mobile for reading.

Last edited by Markismus; 01-11-2014 at 04:38 PM.