Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #61
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I hope you will be returning that case, Blossom!
On Second thought I am returning it.

I love the Poetic case and may get another one for back up!

Edit: Okay it's all really for shipping! I got my refund and now I have to find something to buy. any ideas? It's on my hubby's account so I have to spend it before he does!

I did order another Poetic Slimline case for $5 wish I would have gotten it the other day for $1 but I would pay $10 for this case no problems. The minute I put the HDX into the Poetic case and held it I knew it was the case for me!

Last edited by Blossom; 10-20-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #62
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Battery on the HDX 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Yep it's more a blue than purple. You only notice it at certain light settings or when on a white or sepia page. I didn't even notice it as first till I read the Amazon Kindle forum's complaints. In the dark however when the Kindle at min brightness it looks greenish I was joking with my self saying look I have blobs! They are not in the reading area though. It not a defect it's obviously a design flaw.

I can say the battery life on the HDX is nothing compare to my original Kindle Fire. My other KF I can go up to two weeks on one charge this one uses half it's battery in day so I see without video use charging it every two days!
There are two problems with the battery on the HDX:

1. There is no sync button so WiFi is always syncing.

2. At the beginning there is lots of indexing which uses the battery. I just loaded the Bible Encyclopedia on my HDX earlier today and its only 10% indexed. If it doesn't make any more progress in several days, I'll remove it. It simply may be too large to index properly. The PW 2013 indexed it in 30 minutes since it recognized it as a dictionary. The HDX 2013 did not.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #63
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
There are two problems with the battery on the HDX:

1. There is no sync button so WiFi is always syncing.

2. At the beginning there is lots of indexing which uses the battery. I just loaded the Bible Encyclopedia on my HDX earlier today and its only 10% indexed. If it doesn't make any more progress in several days, I'll remove it. It simply may be too large to index properly. The PW 2013 indexed it in 30 minutes since it recognized it as a dictionary. The HDX 2013 did not.
1. There is a sync button it's under settings.

2. There is no indexing on the Kindle Reader of the HDX indexing must be your app specific. The battery drain is caused by how the operating system cache everything if you go to running apps you will see it does not shut down certain apps. A task manager can fix this just don't close anything Amazon related.

My guess is so much is running in background at all time you get about 10% battery lost per hour even in sleep mode. A firmware update can fix this though.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #64
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterncoyote View Post
Well, I don't think it would be silly. I read mostly non-fiction books, which often contain tables and other graphics, and the larger size can be helpful. I read on my old ipad sometimes, and though the screen resolution is horrible, I like the way it can split the text into 2 columns, as well as the larger size for graphics.
I don't consider that reading more like learning. I don't do learning books unless I need to know something. If that's what you want it for and not for fiction then yeah a bigger one is probably better for you.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #65
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterncoyote View Post
Thanks Sirmaru. Do you notice a big difference in the quality of the text? As I say, I mainly will use it for reading books.
He's nearly blind I wouldn't ask him that question. He can't even see pinholes on pictures posted here. I have seen the HD and the HDX and the text on the HDX is significantly improved from last year's HD.

I actually had to go Best Buy to get my hands on a HD to walk my mother in law through something. I almost bought it! Almost! I am so glad I waited for the HDX.

On the HDX you can't see any jaggedness or pixelation even if you zoom the text you can't tell any difference. It's the best I have seen. I am told the Nexus 7 has the same amazing text rendering. If you want it for reading go with the higher PPI you can't go wrong!
Old 10-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #66
FanciFreez
Banned
FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, KPW2, Nexus 7.2, iPad 4, Nook HD+
Quote:
Yep it's more a blue than purple. You only notice it at certain light settings or when on a white or sepia page. I didn't even notice it as first till I read the Amazon Kindle forum's complaints. In the dark however when the Kindle at min brightness it looks greenish I was joking with my self saying look I have blobs! They are not in the reading area though. It not a defect it's obviously a design flaw.

I can say the battery life on the HDX is nothing compare to my original Kindle Fire. My other KF I can go up to two weeks on one charge this one uses half it's battery in day so I see without video use charging it every two days!
Top notch info.... that purple/blue edge around the book screen is designed that way.. it's not a design flaw.. My friend in Seattle that works for Amz told me today it's a buffer border deflector.. softener so to speak.. which makes for a more comfortable reading experience.. the 8.9 will have it as well..

Last edited by FanciFreez; 10-20-2013 at 08:55 PM.
FanciFreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #67
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanciFreez View Post
Top notch info.... that purple/blue edge around the book screen is designed that way.. it's not a design flaw.. My friend in Seattle that works for Amz told me today it's a buffer border deflector.. softener so to speak.. which makes for a more comfortable reading experience.. the 8.9 will have it as well..
I'm gonna go with design flaw as some of blue is a bit more intrusive then what I am sure they expected to be. Like the top left corner is part of this while the left side is very faint and the right side is most noticeable and the bottom is very noticeable. I had to adjust the vertical margins to get away from the blue which is green is in the dark.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-20-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #68
FanciFreez
Banned
FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm gonna go with design flaw as some of blue is a bit more intrusive then what I am sure they expected to be. Like the top left corner is part of this while the left side is very faint and the right side is most noticeable and the bottom is very noticeable. I had to adjust the vertical margins to get away from the blue which is green is in the dark.
Blossom.. I can see from all of your previous posts you are VERY smart and In-Tune.. but you may be wrong on this one.. should I call it Nit Picky.. ? but I respect your opinion.. but I like my friends explanation at Amz better.. but you could be right about the unevenness! the ones I saw at two Best Buys were Awesome ...and both were very even all the way around the border as far as I could tell from just a general observation..

Last edited by FanciFreez; 10-20-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #69
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanciFreez View Post
Blossom.. I can see from all of your previous posts you are VERY smart and In-Tune.. but you may be wrong on this one.. should I call it Nit Picky.. ? but I respect your opinion.. but I like my friends explanation at Amz better.. but you could be right about the unevenness! the ones I saw at two Best Buys were Awesome ...and both were very even all the way around the border as far as I could tell from just a general observation..
I'll have to take pic for you because I'm sure Amazon did not design it the way it looks. I am sure it's part of the design and suppose to be there but it is really uneven and intrudes on reading and some screens which means while they meant for it to be there they design it in such a way that it's not perfect and random which is a design flaw.

It is something I can overlook and like I said you wont notice it under some lighting settings but it does take away some of the beauty of the HDX.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #70
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the sync button.

Quote:
1. There is a sync button it's under settings.
Thanks for the sync button location. I skipped right past it.

That Bible Encyclopedia is a dictionary and works fine on the PW 2013. However, the HDX is indexing it like an eBook. I'll give it overnight and then remove it. Actually, it indexed fine on the HD 2012. For some reason its taking a long time on the HD 2013.

I'm running GSam to measure battery time and comparing the HD 2012 and the HDX 2013. Are you running it as well?

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-20-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:54 PM   #71
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Okay I took a pic and this is at minimum brightness which is what I read at.

I added arrows for those who can't see. They are the same just one points out the areas that bleed into the reading. This is no border it's random where the blue shows up. Oh I know I said right side but in the new case right has become left and top has become bottom.

I can overlook it. I'm not picky as some think but this a design flaw of a new feature and I am sure on next year's model it will be fixed or maybe even further batches down the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bluebleeds.jpg
Views:	1041
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	113734   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-10-20 22.40.55.jpg
Views:	901
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	113735  

Last edited by Blossom; 10-20-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:57 PM   #72
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Thanks for the sync button location. I skipped right past it.

That Bible Encyclopedia is a dictionary and works fine on the PW 2013. However, the HDX is indexing it like an eBook. I'll give it overnight and then remove it. Actually, it indexed fine on the HD 2012. For some reason its taking a long time on the HD 2013.

I'm running GSam to measure battery time and comparing the HD 2012 and the HDX 2013. Are you running it as well?
Where do you see this indexing? I see nothing about the HDX indexing any books.

No there's no need for me run Gsam when I can now see the battery percentage right on the nav bar which is why I used it before.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #73
sirmaru
Wizard

I didn't notice that on mine.

Quote:

I added arrows for those who can't see to one pic they are the same just one points out the areas that bleed into the reading. This is no border it's random where the blue shows up. Oh I know I said right side but in the new case right has become left.

I can overlook it. I'm not picky as some think but this a design flaw of a new feature and I am sure on next year's model it will be fixed or maybe even further batches down the road.
I see those lines in your pictures but they are not present on my unit. You may have a defective unit. Call for an exchange.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:02 PM   #74
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I see those lines in your pictures but they are not present on my unit. You may have a defective unit. Call for an exchange.
Turn the brightness all the way down and look at a page with a white background then tell me if yours has it or not.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:18 AM   #75
FanciFreez
Banned

Quote:

I added arrows for those who can't see. They are the same just one points out the areas that bleed into the reading. This is no border it's random where the blue shows up. Oh I know I said right side but in the new case right has become left and top has become bottom.

Yuk.. I see what you mean..you may have bitten a Lemon.. which is not sweet. not designed that way for sure. You are not nic picking. (Smile)