Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #16
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
You can often adjust the css files of drm'd books. It would be nice if publishers listened, but they don't seem inclined to do so, not yet, at least.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #17
electragician
electragician is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo WiFi, PC, CR-48 ChromeOS laptop
I'll have to double check. I think I can delete the css file, but it looks like gobbletygook inside (due to the encryption I presume?) precluding me from editing any of the margin info.

Thanks!
electragician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:50 PM   #18
amo
Teaist
amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Aura ONE, Android cell phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by electragician View Post
I love the feel of the back... nice touch.
Yeah, ain't it nice? I sometimes sit there just petting the back of my kobo cause I like it so much.
amo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:04 PM   #19
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by amo View Post
Yeah, ain't it nice? I sometimes sit there just petting the back of my kobo cause I like it so much.
Get a cat!
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:38 AM   #20
amo
Teaist
amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Get a cat!
I got two. But they don't have quilted backs.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #21
mootmaina
mootmaina began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I must say I was very happy with the Kobo Wifi until i saw the Kindle 3 in the flesh for the first time.

- Kindle was heaps faster. Page turns, dictionary movement of the courser line. everything. Hope kobo fix this with firmware upgrades, cause its annoying when using the dictionary and having to scroll to your world so dam slowly...
- Screen, yes it Kindle has the pearl ink but I think the bold and the text stood out better. Can we adjust the darkness levels? this should be an option......

Apart from that kobo is good enough, but when compared to Kindle it just doesn't make it...
mootmaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:55 PM   #22
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
so dam slowly...
Time to get that pesky dictionary working.

Quote:
kobo is good enough, but when compared to Kindle it just doesn't make it...
Not an option for many people who like to use the library. It doesn't accept epub.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:52 PM   #23
mootmaina
mootmaina began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post

Not an option for many people who like to use the library. It doesn't accept epub.

ltr
True on the latter.

Well lets wait and see what the Kobo team release in the new firmware. Hopefully it delivers an experience close too, better yet surpasses that of the Kindle.

until then
mootmaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:45 PM   #24
stodge
Groupie
stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650SC
Quote:

ltr
Good point. Would the Kobo be good enough at a lower price point?
stodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:31 AM   #25
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stodge View Post
Good point. Would the Kobo be good enough at a lower price point?
I think it's good enough already if you're looking for a simple reader. I love the simplicity of the Kobo. I have a friend with a Kindle and you can't pick the darn thing up without pushing a button by mistake. It's just too busy for my liking.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #26
amo
Teaist

Quote:
I think it's good enough already if you're looking for a simple reader. I love the simplicity of the Kobo. I have a friend with a Kindle and you can't pick the darn thing up without pushing a button by mistake. It's just too busy for my liking.

ltr
My sentiments exactly.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:58 AM   #27
water4u99
water4u99 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo wifi, iphone, ibm tablet, windows and linux pc, macbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by mootmaina View Post
I must say I was very happy with the Kobo Wifi until i saw the Kindle 3 in the flesh for the first time.

- Kindle was heaps faster. Page turns, dictionary movement of the courser line. everything. Hope kobo fix this with firmware upgrades, cause its annoying when using the dictionary and having to scroll to your world so dam slowly...
- Screen, yes it Kindle has the pearl ink but I think the bold and the text stood out better. Can we adjust the darkness levels? this should be an option......

Apart from that kobo is good enough, but when compared to Kindle it just doesn't make it...
Agree. Some obvious flaws:
1. Need manual add network account - I don't broadcast my ssid for security reasons.

2. PDF viewing
a) true pdf reflow (excluding this one - following should be easy to do for next firmware)
b) no continuous mode paging - I have to do 2 clicks per page if I magnify the display
c) no jump to page x function
d) no custom magnify setting - only pre-sets 100%, 125%, etc

There are other issues like sync, etc - but the reading "usability" is my highest priority. Difficult to view, too many button presses get annoying.
water4u99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:16 PM   #28
everklear
Enthusiast
everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.

Since you appear to be trying to get the vendors to address the problem, I expect you already know this but just in case you haven't researched it:

Removing Adobe ADEPT DRM is trivial once you have the tools. If you were to search for "ADEPT DRM for EPUB" I believe the first hit would take you to a nice reference.

Personally, I believe in fairly compensating authors for their work. However, I am not interested in DRM lock-in. I have been burnt before by vendors going out of business and losing access to my purchases. I buy books and then immediately strip any DRM to protect my right to use my purchases. I don't distribute the files any further than the e-readers in my household.
everklear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goto, kobo reader, margins