Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-22-2010, 02:16 PM   #1
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
650 reader timings after adding books

Coming from a 505 where long, long times could be expected after adding a book or two to an already large library, I am very happy with the new 650.

I added 450 books to both the main memory and card in the reader. Disconnected from computer and less than 30 seconds later the reader was good to go. Thumbnails took about another minute to generate, but all in all, this is awesome.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
That's really awesome.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:01 PM   #3
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
Thats good to hear.
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:33 PM   #4
andant
andant began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
After receiving my red 650 today, I have put in a memory stick with about 900 PDF files on it (all scientific papers/books), and the reader was ready to use in less than a minute. I did turn off the thumbnail display and switched to the list view before doing it.
andant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:28 PM   #5
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Okay, some more info. When the thumbnail is turned off, the reader is good to go quite quickly even with hundreds of books added (30-45 seconds).

Thumbnail generation is about 2 seconds per thumbnail. I have noticed that there was a very small slowdown doing things like going from reading a book to the home page or the notes page after adding that many books as if the reader was doing stuff in the background.

I turned on thumbnails, and cycled through my whole list of books to force the reader to generate thumbnails for each book. This made a difference and the 650 became speedy again.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:19 AM   #6
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by andant View Post
After receiving my red 650 today, I have put in a memory stick with about 900 PDF files on it (all scientific papers/books), and the reader was ready to use in less than a minute. I did turn off the thumbnail display and switched to the list view before doing it.
That's really amazing.
Nothing compared to 505 or 900. It took ages on both.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote