Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-17-2017, 08:38 AM   #1
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Out of the blue - 64bit taskbar icon stops combining

I have been having a rather 'strange' problem with 64bit over the past couple of weeks. It started with 3.6 and continues with 3.7.

I keep shortcuts of my frequently used programs pinned in the task bar (a'la quick launch in XP), when I start them I expect the pinned icon to highlight.

For some explicable reason over the past couple of weeks when I start the calibre 64 bit edition from the taskbar it doesn't always combine the running instance icon with the pinned icon. It will for a while (as in hours) but then it starts creating a separate icon for the running instance.

If I run a Repair on the calibre 64 bit msi from Control Panel->All Control Panel Items->Programs and Features it fixes the problem - for a while, like a few hours or perhaps until next day. I have no idea what triggers the sudden misbehaviour.

Another symptom is this, if I do a restart of calibre 64bit with Ctrl+R, a separate icon is always created. If I then close calibre, and if I'm lucky, when I start from the taskbar icon a separate icon is not created for the running instance, I get a combined icon

I've been using 32bit calibre since Friday morning (i.e. 3 days). None of the above has happened with that edition of calibre. But since Friday, the 64 bit edition has misbehaved in the manner described, even though I've hardly used it

Nor does it happen with other 64 bit programs that use the 'Common Application Id' mechanism (or whatever it's called) that calibre uses. I'm referring to the one that requires a running instance of the program to be pinned from within the task bar itself, rather than using the 'Pin to Taskbar' option from the Start Menu.

I don't know if or how this relates to other 64 bit problems that have been reported of late - it's certainly not the same symptoms, hence the new post, but... one has to wonder.

If anyone knows what the Control Panel->All Control Panel Items->Programs and Features->Repair does that could give me a clue. Whilst its irritating, it's not enough to make me want to do a non-destructive reinstall of Windows.

One thing I haven't tried is to run an old version of calibre - such as 2.85.1. Might try that tomorrow. I'm not running the server, software is installed in 'default' locations, libraries are on a separate internal hard drive in a directory dedicated to all e-bookish data.

@JSWolf - FYI when it happens, it happens in Safe Mode too. And I have run sfc /scannow and my Windows 10 Pro is up to date as of last Wednesday's patches.

Added : I have tried disabling all start up programs, shell extensions, scheduled tasks, and non-critical services such as Indexing, and Backup - the Ctrl+R restart misbehaviour still happens, so I assume the 'random' one will too if I wait long enough.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-17-2017 at 09:00 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:44 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Try a registry cleaner, probably uninstall calibre before running the cleaner and re-install after.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2017, 10:33 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Try a registry cleaner, probably uninstall calibre before running the cleaner and re-install after.
@kovid - done that, with CCleaner, and by hand, both with calibre uninstalled - I'd rather not use a more aggressive reg cleaner.

Does the fact that a 64 bit restart always creates a second icon, even when a normal start isn't doing that, offer a clue ?

One thing I thought I might do is to compare registry dumps taken immediately before and after I do a Repair to see what it 'fixes'. Another thought was to install 64bit at a location other than C:\Programs Files\Calibre2.

Because I use the taskbar from the keyboard I'm more sensitive to the issue that most folks would be, I expect calibre to be at winKey+4, etc.

BR
Old 09-17-2017, 10:44 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
One thing I haven't tried is to run an old version of calibre - such as 2.85.1. Might try that tomorrow.
Well, it's tomorrow already

I discovered I had 2.85.1 64 bit in the locker, so I uninstalled 3.7 and installed it. What I can say right off the bat, is that a Ctrl+R restart does not create a second icon. I'll run with it for a day or two and report back.

BR
Old 09-17-2017, 09:08 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
FWIW
Calibre 3.7 x64
Icon pinned to taskbar
Ctrl-R highlight goes away, the comes back after the Calibre Splash

seems normal
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2017, 06:57 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
FWIW
Calibre 3.7 x64
Icon pinned to taskbar
Ctrl-R highlight goes away, the comes back after the Calibre Splash

seems normal

I've been running 2.85.1 64bit for a couple of days. I started and stopped it (11) times, and restarted it eight times (8) with none of symptoms previously reported - i.e. no msi Repairs needed.

I just downloaded and installed 3.3, initial tests with restart seem fine - remember with 3.7 the restart always created a second icon even when a start wasn't. I'll use 3.3 tomorrow, if it's OK (my money says it will be) I'll go to 3.5.

BR
Old 09-20-2017, 07:23 PM   #7
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
@kovid - done that, with CCleaner, and by hand, both with calibre uninstalled - I'd rather not use a more aggressive reg cleaner.

Does the fact that a 64 bit restart always creates a second icon, even when a normal start isn't doing that, offer a clue ?

One thing I thought I might do is to compare registry dumps taken immediately before and after I do a Repair to see what it 'fixes'. Another thought was to install 64bit at a location other than C:\Programs Files\Calibre2.

Because I use the taskbar from the keyboard I'm more sensitive to the issue that most folks would be, I expect calibre to be at winKey+4, etc.

BR
You need to do a scan.

Hackers hid malware in official CCleaner app and millions are at risk

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:05 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Thanks bernie - yes, know about that one. Guess what - MS Defender found in 3.3 at install time and quarantined it. And it hasn't gone away - Defender found it again in 3.5 (off the Piriform site) only yesterday!!

VirusTotal doesn't find it - but they don't scan with Defender Ψ² ESET reports it contains Win32/Bundled.Toolbar.Google.D

I think my taskbar icon issue predates that hack. But I do top to bottom weekly scans with the MS MSRT thingy, malwarebytes, and 2 of emsisoft, housecall, sophos, and defender. They've all been run several times since I've had this 'issue'.

This isn't a showstopper. But the way I use the taskbar (via the keyboard) I'm reliant on icons combining and remaining where I put them, which means the issue is uber irritating.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-20-2017 at 08:31 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-20-2017, 11:14 PM   #9
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
I have been having a rather 'strange' problem with 64bit over the past couple of weeks. It started with 3.6 and continues with 3.7.

I keep shortcuts of my frequently used programs pinned in the task bar (a'la quick launch in XP), when I start them I expect the pinned icon to highlight.

For some explicable reason over the past couple of weeks when I start the calibre 64 bit edition from the taskbar it doesn't always combine the running instance icon with the pinned icon. It will for a while (as in hours) but then it starts creating a separate icon for the running instance...
One gets this behavior if the task bar icon takes one to a short cut (e.g. in ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu/Programs) to run the application instead of directly running the application's .exe.

My 64 bit Calibre installation gives 2 icons on the task bar too, not sure how long it has been doing so though, haven't taken much notice. But it is run from a shortcut in the directory I mentioned; other applications not run from short cuts behind the icons on the task bar don't give 2 icons. Calibre Editor does the same thing it running from a shortcutted task icon (and I suspect the other Calibre bits when run stand alone in the same way would too).

Not sure how it comes to happen to be run from a shortcut, I suspect something happens during the installation or updating.

Hope that helps, if so wish me a virtual beer .

John

Last edited by AnotherCat; 09-20-2017 at 11:23 PM. Reason: grammar (the worst of it anyway)
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:53 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@AnotherCat - taskbar pinned items are in shell:User Pinned which is %AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned - of this I am certain.

Why so, I changed the shortcut's name from "calibre 64bit - E-book management" to "64bit calibre", and that's what I see in the task bar when I right click. I have other pinned icons named "32bt calibre", and "portable calibre'.

Sorry, no free virtual beer for thee today, nor for that matter any augmented Merlot.

BR
Old 09-21-2017, 12:18 AM   #11
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@AnotherCat - taskbar pinned items are in shell:User Pinned which is %AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned - of this I am certain.

Why so, I changed the shortcut's name from "calibre 64bit - E-book management" to "64bit calibre", and that's what I see in the task bar when I right click. I have other pinned icons named "32bt calibre", and "portable calibre'.

Sorry, no free virtual beer for thee today, nor for that matter any augmented Merlot.

BR
Tut, tut lazy boy yer not following the trail I laid to my beer .

In your Start choices from a right click on the Windows banner at left end of task bar right click on the Calibre main program choice and select More>Open File Location and you will likely see that it takes you to ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu/Programs.

Now if you do the same to an application that does not do the double icon thing on the task bar it will likely (can only say likely because I am not a complete genius yet ) find that it is the exe that is run.

I think you use PDF-Viewer. I think you will find its behavior is the same as Calibres and it follows the same start from shortcut pattern (Edit: if it is on the task bar).

I have a funny feeling that whether the double icon thing happens or not, or comes and goes in a session may be related to if a similar other application ex taskbar is also running. I have not ever checked that but just on reflection may be?????

Note I do not know the cure if there is one, otherwise it would be a rum that I was afta .

Last edited by AnotherCat; 09-21-2017 at 12:26 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:36 AM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Calibre Editor does the same thing it running from a shortcutted task icon (and I suspect the other Calibre bits when run stand alone in the same way would too).
Not for me mate - they combine into one icon, if started from within calibre or via File Explorer double click

In this shot the three editor sessions were initiated from with the book manager via the keyboard shortcut, and the three viewers were initiated from within File Manager (the calibre viewer is the default program for epubs)

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	159104

I have Combine taskbar icons set to Always, Hide labels. I also run 7+ Taskbar tweaker, but it's not germane in this instance. And yes, I have tested my substantive issue without this gadget running - and not installed.

BR
Old 09-21-2017, 12:40 AM   #13
AnotherCat

Now I am really getting thirsty so I looked into this a bit more, as I wondered about multiple icons and multiple displays.

I am running multiple displays and if in Settings I have the taskbar on all displays and "Show taskbar buttons on" set to "Taskbar where window is open" then if I put Calibre onto a second display the second icon disappears of the main display's taskbar.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:43 AM   #14
AnotherCat

Quote:
Not for me mate - they combine into one icon, if started from within calibre or via File Explorer double click...
No I meant if you put Editor on the task bar then run it - try running it from start and close and then run from task bar and see what the icon behaviors are.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:53 AM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@AnotherCat - I pinned the 64bit calibre, and the 32 bit calibre, and PDF Exchange to the taskbar from a running instance of the programs (Goodsync too I think) - that's the defacto trick to get consequent running instances to combine with the pinned icon.

Why is this so - I suppose it seemed a good idea in the middle of the night to some bright Redmondite. How is it done - no idea, probably some obscurantist hobgoblin dust in the registry .

I don't have the same problem with PDF Exchange, or 32bit calibre, or GoodSync - only with 64bit calibre, and I think only with versions 3.4/5/6/7 - I can't induce the misbehaviour with versions 2.85.1, 3.0/1/2/3 by doing a restart. I say I think because I have some more tests to do.

BR