Old 07-14-2010, 12:34 AM   #1
rjfarrell
Zealot
rjfarrell doesn't litterrjfarrell doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iphone, Ipad
Audible for Ios4

By Jesse David Hollington
Applications Editor, iLounge

"Audible has released a native iOS application for downloading and listening to audiobooks from Audible.com on an iPhone or iPod touch. The Audible application allows users to browse through and download audiobooks from their Audible.com library over a Wi-Fi connection and listen to any downloaded titles directly from within the the device rather than integrating with the built-in iPod app—Audible titles still need to be synced separately via iTunes in order to appear in the normal iPod Audiobooks section. The app also does not provide direct purchasing capabilities although users can visit Audible.com using the Safari browser to purchase titles and add them to their library, at which point they can be downloaded by the Audible app. Only Audible.com accounts are supported at this time, with Audible.co.uk, Audible.de and Audible.fr said to be coming soon. Audible is available from the App Store as a free download; an Audible.com account is required and users can sign up for a new account directly from the app."

Awesome!! Wireless downloads to the iPhone / iPod !

Enjoy...one of my longest running subscriptions in life. Has always been just excellent. Easier to d/l now.
rjfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:45 AM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
wow. have to dig up my account information. haven't listened to them in years, still have a few books though. thanks for posting this. app seems to be for iphone/ipod only. sure it will work on the ipad but it's a shame it won't be full-screen.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 01:02 AM   #3
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Cool. Worked on my iPad on wi-fi. Took a few minutes to download a 36-minute short story. I tried a short first, so I wouldn't get hung up too long if speeds were slow; most of my Audibles are long and in several parts. I dunno whether it's a typically slow download or whether it's just the crap wi-fi in parts of my house (same problem with my laptop and netbooks).

Maybe this is a dumb question, but why wi-fi and not 3G to download (at least for those who have it)?

The app doesn't rotate, but can be used at 2x. I tried to rotate because I'm charging.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:28 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Maybe this is a dumb question, but why wi-fi and not 3G to download (at least for those who have it)?
Many "data intensive" apps will only download over WiFi - the App Store, to give a simple example; it will only download apps that are under 20MB in size via 3G. I imagine it's so that people don't unintentionally download large amounts of data via 3G, and perhaps end up paying unexpectedly for it. Eg, I understand that many users in the US only have a monthly data allowance of 250MB. That would be exceeded by pretty much any audiobook download.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:48 AM   #5
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Many "data intensive" apps will only download over WiFi - the App Store, to give a simple example; it will only download apps that are under 20MB in size via 3G. I imagine it's so that people don't unintentionally download large amounts of data via 3G, and perhaps end up paying unexpectedly for it. Eg, I understand that many users in the US only have a monthly data allowance of 250MB. That would be exceeded by pretty much any audiobook download.
Thanks, Harry. Makes sense. Would be nice if it worked on my supposedly unlimited 3G data plan.

I tried downloading (on wi-fi) a book that's nearly 400MB and it timed out at 199MB, and wouldn't resume. I wonder whether Audible is having problems. I now remember that its downloads have been slow for me on both sides of the U.S., on at least three connections. Reminds me of dial-up, lol. Oh well, I'll try some other time.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert