Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-29-2011, 05:44 AM   #136
daniel_hokkaido
Enthusiast
daniel_hokkaido began at the beginning.

Device: sonyprs 505, pocketbook pro 603
Does anyone have a french to english dictionary which is better than the fairly simplistic aabbyy KD one preinstalled on the 603?
daniel_hokkaido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:28 PM   #137
Tulapi
Connoisseur
Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook pro 602, Nook Simple Touch, Inkbook Classic 2, T63 JDRead
Not that i know of.
In the dictionaries you find on the Web (e.g. http://downloads.sourceforge.net/xdx...nglish.tar.bz2 ; XDXF), there are no real definitions, only basic translations.

(there are very good ancient french-french dictionaries :
le Littré
and :
le dictionnaire de l'Académie française
)

@sarkash thank you for your help ! I have been able to create a new specialized dictionary from scratch with Linguae and converter.exe

Last edited by Tulapi; 03-29-2011 at 01:31 PM.
Tulapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2011, 08:36 PM   #138
preempalver
Connoisseur
preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: PocketBook pro 603 (Leggo IBS fw PB 2.1.3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_hokkaido View Post
Does anyone have a french to english dictionary which is better than the fairly simplistic aabbyy KD one preinstalled on the 603?
Take a look at this, I had to compile all dictionaries. this one is from stardict Larousse-Chambers
English-French is here
Attached Files
File Type: zip Français-Anglais.dic.zip (5.60 MB, 677 views)

Last edited by preempalver; 04-07-2011 at 04:51 PM.
preempalver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:03 AM   #139
daniel_hokkaido
Enthusiast

thanks very much! Could you paste some instructions? Simple drag and drop to pb603? I have no experience doing something like this before. Thanks again!
Old 03-30-2011, 05:09 AM   #140
preempalver
Connoisseur
preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

No problem! unzip the file and simply drag it in your PB603 dictionaries directory, located in
Code:
/system/dictionaries
I added some phonetic characters, in the meantime.

Last edited by preempalver; 03-30-2011 at 06:51 AM.
Advert
Old 03-30-2011, 11:17 AM   #141
teofrast
Enthusiast
teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: pocketbook902
thanks preempalver!!
very appreciated

t
(BTW still looking for a decent latin-english/french dictionary)
teofrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:40 PM   #142
daniel_hokkaido
Enthusiast

@preem - thanks, i tried that and it worked Really a much better dictionary then the standard lingvo kd one! French is a tricky language though as it joins articles and nouns alot..e.g l'interieur (the interior) but how would you programme the dictionary to ignore the l' and look up interieur? interesting.

So where is a good resource to get these dict files Preem? I wouldn't mind getting some english - english ones at some stage.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:41 AM   #143
preempalver
Connoisseur

I have to say it was sheer luck, and it was a surprise even for me
I checked and you're right, the "l'" is "trapped" by the rules of the dictionary converter. I thought the reason was that the article l' is explicitly counted on the dictionary source, a really good one indeed. the funny thing is, the article d' it's there as well, but it's not trapped in "d'eau", for example.

watching closely at the french morphems.txt parsed by the converter, I noticed the verb "faire" was wrongly written, so I made a correction.

Compiled again the dictionary, and the article "l'" in "l'intérieur" it's not isolated anymore!

At the very end, I have no idea why it's happened. Maybe there's something going on when the converter create the index?
Anyway, I had to compile a Merriam-Webster collegiate, I'll upload as soon as possible.

ps:
the sources I used for this one and others are here

Edit:
this is the fr.zip that contains the french rules parsed by converter.exe when compiling french-<anything> dictionaries, I've found it here in forums then changed a bit. Corrections and improvements are welcomed!
Attached Files
File Type: zip fr.zip (4.1 KB, 455 views)

Last edited by preempalver; 04-01-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:51 AM   #144
preempalver
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by teofrast View Post
thanks preempalver!!
very appreciated

t
(BTW still looking for a decent latin-english/french dictionary)
Regarding Latin, I didn't found Latin rules for the converter so morphems.txt must be done from scratch... I did it for italian, not perfect but it was huge. For latin is even worse...
who volunteered?

Last edited by preempalver; 04-01-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:25 PM   #145
daniel_hokkaido
Enthusiast

sorry is that new file you put up a drag and drop also or for use with another programme first before i can use your improvements on my pocketbook?
Old 04-01-2011, 05:04 PM   #146
preempalver
Connoisseur

Merriam-Webster's collegiate

oh, no daniel, it's only meant to be used with converter.exe in order to compile a new dictionary from a source, so it's not actually to be used in your PB.

Edit:
this one, though, it's an english monolingual compiled from stardict Merriam-Websters collegiate , with touchscreen support.
unzip, drag and drop in your PB /system/dictionaries
Attached Files
File Type: zip mwc.dic.zip (8.42 MB, 699 views)

Last edited by preempalver; 04-02-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:27 PM   #147
teofrast
Enthusiast
teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: pocketbook902
thanks for your answer preempalver.
I could live also without morphems by typing the words.
i already converted a very basic latin dictionary using english morphems.
user Hal_9k managed to obtain some very good .mobi latin dictionaries (withatker and lewis-short), but I do not have the programming skills to do the porting
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=123270
cheers
t
teofrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:42 PM   #148
daniel_hokkaido
Enthusiast

@preem : Is converter.exe on sourceforge or the net for download? I have no programming skills and no time to learn right now. But the work you did on the french morphemes to make l' work would really help me. Rather than make you explain how to use converter, could you point me to some instructions and a download location for it. thanks!
Old 04-02-2011, 04:26 PM   #149
preempalver
Connoisseur

Thumbs up

the converter I'm using is this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...53&postcount=1

I'm afraid I did nothing particular in those files to achieve the isolation of articles. just happened. In fact once I corrected a verbal form in original morphems.txt the article wasn't isolated anymore.
the original collates, morphems and keyboard for french are here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=65

the simplest dictionary source to be used by converter.exe must be a plain text file with:
Code:
<word>..<definitions or whatever you want>    <--- 1 row per word
      ^\
        | 2 spaces at least
from what I realized, rules from morphems are applied only if the word is not explicitly in the dictionary. Words in the dictionary have the priority, then the morphems are applied. So the more complete and complex the dictionary source is, the better is.
for how to use the converter, read this topic from the start and the instuctions in the zipfile above.

Here attached is the source I used from stardict larousse-chambers
Attached Files
File Type: zip Francais-Anglais.text.zip (4.04 MB, 423 views)

Last edited by preempalver; 04-02-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:03 PM   #150
preempalver
Connoisseur

@teofrast, here I managed to build a first draft version of Whitaker latin-english dictionary, without morphems, and txt source.
there are complete sources out there, so I think we can extrapolate a morphems.txt starting from one instead of zero.
Attached Files
File Type: zip WhitakerLatEng.zip (4.88 MB, 409 views)