Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-01-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Suggested future feature

This is mostly to the folks at Astak, but others' comments are, of course, always welcome.

I have a 5" PEZ on order, and some day in the not TOO distant future (1-2 years at most) I imagine I'll get a larger reader (8-9") for use around home. One for ease of carrying, one for pleasure of reading.

Here's the thing: when that day comes, I can see myself wanting to switch back and forth between the two machines multiple times during the reading of a single (or multiple) books. What would be REALLY nice, is if the EZ-reader line could be set to store the various library/bookmark information on the SD card (where I would also keep most of the books). Then, when I'm going somewhere, I pop the SD card out of the Home machine and shove it into the Portable machine, and voila, I'm ready to read, right where I left off.

Or at least, provide an EASY method to 'sync' two machines (not the books themselves, but WHICH book you're reading and WHERE you are in that book).

Everett
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Putting files on SD card

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaser View Post
This is mostly to the folks at Astak, but others' comments are, of course, always welcome.

I have a 5" PEZ on order, and some day in the not TOO distant future (1-2 years at most) I imagine I'll get a larger reader (8-9") for use around home. One for ease of carrying, one for pleasure of reading.

Here's the thing: when that day comes, I can see myself wanting to switch back and forth between the two machines multiple times during the reading of a single (or multiple) books. What would be REALLY nice, is if the EZ-reader line could be set to store the various library/bookmark information on the SD card (where I would also keep most of the books). Then, when I'm going somewhere, I pop the SD card out of the Home machine and shove it into the Portable machine, and voila, I'm ready to read, right where I left off.

Or at least, provide an EASY method to 'sync' two machines (not the books themselves, but WHICH book you're reading and WHERE you are in that book).

Everett
Dear Everett:

When you hook up the EZ Reader Pocket PRO to your computer it will show two icons! One icon is for Internal Memory and the other is for SD card. So, you can decide where you wish to drag and drop files and get it all on the SD card if you like!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #3
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Everett:

When you hook up the EZ Reader Pocket PRO to your computer it will show two icons! One icon is for Internal Memory and the other is for SD card. So, you can decide where you wish to drag and drop files and get it all on the SD card if you like!
Is this for books only, Robert, or does it also include bookmarks info?
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:04 PM   #4
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Thanks, Robert. Yes, I know I can put the BOOKS on the card or on the internal memory. What I'm asking for is the bookMARK information to be stored on the card (at least, the option to), so that moving the card from one reader to another "keeps my place" in the book, whether I'm "on the go" and "comfy at home."
Old 09-01-2009, 06:10 PM   #5
Mnementh
Groupie
Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Thanks, Robert. Yes, I know I can put the BOOKS on the card or on the internal memory. What I'm asking for is the bookMARK information to be stored on the card (at least, the option to), so that moving the card from one reader to another "keeps my place" in the book, whether I'm "on the go" and "comfy at home."

That is an absolutely fantastic idea. This would be really helpful as I'm sure when the larger readers become widely available there will be plenty of people doing this exact thing so being able to just swap the SD card and start reading from where you left off on either device would be a serious benefit.
Mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2009, 06:12 PM   #6
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
I guess someone who has the 6" EZreader and is getting the Pocket Pro should be able to confirm if bookmarks are transferable with books on SD card. Anybody?
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:14 PM   #7
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I know for sure that when the 9.7 inch EZreader comes out that I will be getting one. And it would be great to be able to move the SD from one to the other and keep on reading from where I was at.
Chuck
cvkemp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:54 PM   #8
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Copied the post and will find out!

Quote:
Dear ekaser:

I copied the entire post and will ask the factory for an answer!

Thank you!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:03 PM   #9
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
If they (the ebook fairies) would store all your files on the SD card, then it would be a simple matter of swapping the SD card to whichever reader you're using. But since they insist on using internal memory, that won't work.

Maybe the ebook fairies could rewrite the firmeware to allow the user to store things whereever they wish so your bookmarks were with your books.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:20 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
If they (the ebook fairies) would store all your files on the SD card, then it would be a simple matter of swapping the SD card to whichever reader you're using. But since they insist on using internal memory, that won't work.
This is exactly how the iRex DR1000 works. The SD card is where ALL the user data is. I assume when they have there new 8inch reader out you could swap the card from one to the other.

Of course the Kindle does this syncing over wireless... there's one good reason to have wireless of some type on the readers... for bookmark/note/annotation syncing.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:25 PM   #11
ekaser
Opinion Artiste

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
This is exactly how the iRex DR1000 works. The SD card is where ALL the user data is. I assume when they have there new 8inch reader out you could swap the card from one to the other.

Of course the Kindle does this syncing over wireless... there's one good reason to have wireless of some type on the readers... for bookmark/note/annotation syncing.
While I appreciate the feedback, the iRex is pretty much a no-starter, since the large screen costs $800 and they don't have a 5" model, and the Kindle is a no-starter (for me) because they also don't have a 5" model AND they do everything they can to lock you into their store.

No thanks.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #12
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not sure if this is possible, but I'd like for someone more knowledgeable than I to help.

I'd like to see an implementation where you can put in double or triple digits.

I'd like to be able to put a Bible on my reader. I'd like to open up on a ToC listing all 66 books, even if it lists the OT on page one and NT on page 2, that would be fine. Each book is numbered, and so, for instance, if I wish to go to Revelation, I go to NT and hit '27'.

Then on the first Revelations page would be chapters, simply typing the chapter number <enter> would take you to that page. From then, you can simply page over to the verse you want.

In order to do this, the firmware would have to allow more than just 8 buttons. Perhaps one button could be mapped to simply add 10, and maybe another to add 100.

So I could hit <+10><1><9><enter> for 19, which is Psalms, then on Psalms title page, <+100> <1> <+10><5> <enter> which is 150th chapter.

Or instead of remapping a button to multiply the following number by 10 or 100, you can simply have a small text box to allow you to just type in numbers.

Not sure if this is feasible, but this is something that I would like to see implemented in a future firmware update.

It would also allow more folders to be on the screen at once, at least more than 10.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:24 PM   #13
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
Is this for books only, Robert, or does it also include bookmarks info?
Bookmark info is usually stored in a separate file with the same file name and different extension. On the Kindle it is .omp, I believe. So you have two files for a book you've been reading: pinkpassion.mobi and pinkpassion.omp. Other readers may use s different scheme. The .omp or whatever should show up on the computer and if you transfer both, then you'll open at the same place if the firmware is compatable with one another.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:39 PM   #14
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?

User-Defined Buttons.

I'll start off by saying that I don't see myself using the toggle bar that often as a page turner. I may use it occasionally, but probably very rarely. I've come up with what I would like to see implemented, and I would like to get others' views on this as well.

For books in which hyperlinks are present, and when they are properly supported, I'd like to be able to use the top-right toggle bar in this manner. Also usable when Dictionary is supported as well.

Toggle Down - Hyperlink Mode - Activate the hyperlinks. Instead of scrolling through the multiple menus, toggle down will activate the hyperlinks automatically. The left side arrow buttons will move the highlight up and down the rows of words. The 9 and 0 will move the highlight left and right. OK will select the link, and BACK will take you back to the page you left.

Toggle Down again will deactivate Hyperlink Mode

Toggle Up - Dictionary Mode. This will link to every word on the page. The left side arrow buttons will move the highlight up and down the rows of words. The 9 and 0 will move the highlight left and right. OK will select the word, and BACK will take you from the dictionary back to the page you left.

Toggle Up a second time will deactivate Dictionary Mode.

During these two modes, page forward and page back will be replaced by cursor movements. You won't be able to turn the page, only selecting words or links on the current page. You have to turn off the toggle mode in order to continue reading.

Not having a reader unit of any kind, and never handling one long enough to check out features, I'm not sure how feasible this would be, or if there are better implementations out there for a button-only device.

Comments?
Old 09-04-2009, 01:59 PM   #15
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
User-Defined Buttons.
User definable! Yeah, baby! That would be the real selling feature for me.

Now I just have to figure out which feature I'd want for the definitions...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote