Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-14-2009, 01:45 AM   #1
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony prs505
can't view a book

I downloaded a book from BOB in epub format (like I usually do) and the title shows up in my reader but no content. I can view the book through digital editions but not on the reader. I checked under info on the reader and it says the kind of book is epub document, it has the date downloaded and the size 732.6 kb the location - internal memory, filename and digital rights are full, viewable but i can't view it. I tried to delete it off the reader and it looks like it is gone but when I try to add it again a message comes up saying that I already have it on the reader and I have an option of replacing, or duplicating but it doesn't matter what I choose I can't get it properly loaded on the reader. I need help please
artemisblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:24 AM   #2
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
You might find some information that helps in this thread - the sony ereader seems to have an epub file size restriction of 300k which may be what's causing you problems.

Hope you get it sorted so you can read it soon!
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2009, 11:06 AM   #3
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

well the size restriction would make sense but the same time i purchased this book i also purchased another one which is much larger and I can read it fine and it is in the same format.
If I downloaded something like Calibre could i maybe convert it from epub to lrf and reload it on the reader?
Old 06-14-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemisblossom View Post
If I downloaded something like Calibre could i maybe convert it from epub to lrf and reload it on the reader?
I'm no expert on this as I haven't needed to convert anything (yet). I've picked up a few bits and pieces, and I think this is something you probably could do although I think that if it is a DRM'd book it will be a more complicated process - and I don't know anything about that.

Hopefully someone who knows much more about it than I do will spot this thread and join in!
Old 06-14-2009, 09:27 PM   #5
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
There is a 300k limit for ePub files on the Sony 505 and from my limited understanding of it is that you CAN open books that are larger than 300k as a whole but only if the book is broken into 300k chunks within the ePub

You could convert it to lrf or maybe even to a compatible epub using calibre, but if it has DRM you need to strip it before you can convert it.

Look for epub drm in google or maybe the epub forum here in mobileread

Last edited by Catire; 06-14-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2009, 09:14 AM   #6
artemisblossom
Groupie

well I downloaded calibre and couldn't get the darn thing working at all. In another post from about a year ago i think someone mentioned if you get the message page error you should contact support so I emailed BOB and they got back to me and said they are requesting a corrected file from the distributer, so I guess there was something wrong with the book after all
Old 06-15-2009, 11:19 AM   #7
ruth1304
Addict

Glad it's getting sorted out - hopefully you'll be reading it soon
Old 06-18-2009, 01:03 AM   #8
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemisblossom View Post
well I downloaded calibre and couldn't get the darn thing working at all. In another post from about a year ago i think someone mentioned if you get the message page error you should contact support so I emailed BOB and they got back to me and said they are requesting a corrected file from the distributor, so I guess there was something wrong with the book after all
What didn't work? Calibre itself didn't run or you couldn't get it to convert your epub? Does it have drm? if so you need to strip the drm before calibre can convert it.
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote