Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-15-2009, 05:48 PM   #61
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Mackx,

That works so well. Thanks a million. Being a MAC user this is of great use

Now combine that with the speadier refresh and it's a winner. Much better that the writepads.

Thanks again.

Howard
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:24 PM   #62
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
Thank you

It works great! Before there was no way to off load my notes. Even without the speedy refresh, it is superior to the PDF templates.

Last edited by tjdean256; 07-16-2009 at 10:05 AM.
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2009, 09:30 PM   #63
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Great work Mackx! I can't give you guys enough karma for your work on this software.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:29 PM   #64
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
I found some time to follow up on the other tips from auroux to get text support in the PdfExport functionality. Same installation procedure as the V1 version so look in that post for more info.

As a next step I want to add a 'native-DR' menu to the application, that would allow to drag these menu-icons to the toolbar so the app can be used more productive. I will first go for the easy option and add some fixed items (including Export to PDF) and if I have enough time, make a configurable version. For the first version I need to select some menu items, so please let me know which are the ones that you think are most 'productive' to be able to add to the toolbar. I am aiming to add two rows in the menu, so a maximum of 2 x 5 items can be added.
My list so far:
- Export to PDF
- New
- Save As
- New Page at End
Attached Files
File Type: zip Programs_PdfV2.zip (445.2 KB, 229 views)
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:46 AM   #65
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

3rd version, with native menu

A third version, this time I added a 'native DR' menu. This allows you to drag the menu icons to the toolbar so they are easily available. Please let me know if I should add more menu items, there is room for 15.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Programs_PdfV3.zip (450.5 KB, 258 views)
Advert
Old 07-19-2009, 03:23 PM   #66
Mackx
Guru

Improved scribbling BUT sometimes HANGUP

I got an extra hint from Auroux on how to translate the coordinates that xournal uses internaly to screen coordinates. This allowed me to use the erscribble-library, which is the same one used for scribbling on pdfs.
However:
- Sometimes it hangs the DR (seems to be related with pressing a up/down button, which causes a full refresh of the screen and scribbling at the same time, but I am not sure!) and you will loose everything!
- I only use the mechanism for strokes, so if you are using the feature that recognises squares and circles, updates will only come after a while.
- I only 'played' with it for a very short period, it works on multiple pages and when zoomed in, but I did not test it extensively.
- I noticed that the 'native DR menu' disappears after you have selected an other program and switch back to Xournal again. mxSudoku does not have this problem, so I must have messed-up something in the menu for xournal. (Edit: Found problem, should react on activateWindow-call when it is send on the D-Bus. Update will follow next weekend.)

I consider this an experimental version, use at your OWN RISK! It will be less stable then previous versions! Don't blame me for losing your drawings/scribbles!

Please give me your feedback certainly with respect to features of xournal that are not 'responsive' anymore with this latest change(s).
Attached Files
File Type: zip Programs_PdfV4.zip (450.0 KB, 250 views)

Last edited by Mackx; 07-19-2009 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Found cause of menu disappearing bug
Old 07-20-2009, 08:42 AM   #67
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
It will be a while before I can try that as I'm off on holiday for a couple of weeks now. But V3 is working well. It is very handy to have the icons to save as pdf always available and especially as I'm a Mac user

Does using the "..erscribble-library.." mean the display is updated as you write or is the 2s delay still present? As I usually disable all but teh RHS buttons when scribbling, it may not be a major issue for me, however I'll investigate when I get back.

Thanks again for your work, Howard
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:24 PM   #68
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
Does using the "..erscribble-library.." mean the display is updated as you write or is the 2s delay still present?
The 2s delay is not present anymore, it reacts in the same way as writing on a pdf-file.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:06 PM   #69
tjdean256
Zealot

V4 does behave exactly as annotating a PDF file - down to the band across the screen in the upper 3rd of the display. I added pages then scribbled on them. It doesn't capture every stroke at first. Letters turn out kinda incomplete. This lasts just a second. Soon after it records every stroke. After 5 pages, it hung requiring a reset. Reloaded V3.

The icons in the toolbar are nice.

td
Old 07-21-2009, 05:50 AM   #70
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
Great work! Thank you!

But... Is is possible to change the initial post, so that you will find the actual downloads within? I've had some problems to find out, which of the files I need...
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:11 AM   #71
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdean256 View Post
V4 does behave exactly as annotating a PDF file - down to the band across the screen in the upper 3rd of the display. I added pages then scribbled on them. It doesn't capture every stroke at first. Letters turn out kinda incomplete. This lasts just a second. Soon after it records every stroke. After 5 pages, it hung requiring a reset. Reloaded V3.
I do not really understand your remark "V4 does behave exactly as annotating a PDF file - down to the band across the screen in the upper 3rd of the display". Could you tell more on this?

I also see that the first time you write, it does a complete refresh of the screen, causing scribbling to stop and/or mis some of the strokes. This only last about one seconds (i.e. time to do a full screen update) and then indeed it keeps on working. I am not sure if I can do something to overcome this problem. I will note it down as a 'nice to have' on my bug-list.

I am not able to reproduce the hang-up in a consistant way, so it will be very hard to fix. The low-level screen device driver does not work on the emulator (qemu) so that also does not help in finding bugs. If someone has found a 100% (or >20%) reproducable 'recipe' to get the hangup, please let me know.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:40 AM   #72
Mackx
Guru

New Versions: V3a and V4a (fix menu bug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThR View Post
But... Is is possible to change the initial post, so that you will find the actual downloads within? I've had some problems to find out, which of the files I need...
I found some time to fix the 'menu dis-appearing' bug and I changed the way I handle the install zip-files.

Installing V3a:
Unzip the V3a version to your SD card. The Install directory will contain a installXournalPdfV3a_full and a installXournalPdfV3a_upgrade icon (once you started the DR). I also added the other two required ipkg files, so the "full"-version will install do a 'full-install' . The "upgrade"-version will only install the xournal-package (so update the xournal-app and some stuff used by the app.) The full takes considerable more time then the upgrade, so be patient. (Note that the full install will copy a xournal.desktop-file (which gives the icon you see to start the app) in the Program-folder and not on the Desktop as the original install does). I only used the full-install on a DR that already had xournal installed, so I please let me know if it does not install on a 'clean'-system.

Installing V4a:
For the V4a version, I took a different approach. Unzip the V4a zip-file to your SD-card. It will copy ONLY the app in Programs/_xournal/ and copy an xournalEX.desktop in the Programs-folder. So you can choose which version you use, the EX(perimental) version will use some of the components installed by the V3-version, so you also need to install that version.
REMEMBER: version 4a is still unstable, after a crash you will loose all your unsaved data! (Feedback on how to reproduce the crash is appreciated very much)

Uninstall:
And for those that want to know, there is still no 'proper' uninstall. Best trick is to re-install the firmware, which should wipe the complete internal flash.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Programs_PdfV3a.zip (1.50 MB, 272 views)
File Type: zip Programs_PdfV4a.zip (351.6 KB, 271 views)
Old 07-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #73
tjdean256
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
I do not really understand your remark "V4 does behave exactly as annotating a PDF file - down to the band across the screen in the upper 3rd of the display". Could you tell more on this?
As you annotate a PDF file the screen gradually darkens I guess because it only updates the pixels that were scribbled on (I have read an explanation of this phenomenon on this forum somewhere). As you scribble a band becomes evident across the screen. Text within the band is still easily readable. I goes away when you change pages.

i would like to help debug V4, but I am a little afraid to to experiment with it until I get done with a large project I am doing on the DR1000s.

Xournal has really increased the utility of the device for me.

td
Old 07-21-2009, 02:00 PM   #74
Mackx
Guru

Automatic start Xournal

I found a hack that allows to start xournal when clicking on .xoj files. Firmware R1.6 has a new mechanism that allows you to configure (to some extend) which application to start for each extension. Currently is seems that only a limited number of 'filetypes' are supported, adding extra filetypes is 'difficult' (I am not sure if this is a bug or a feature).
The trick is to replace an existing one, since I do not use the pressreader application, I changed the following lines in my dr1000.ini file (see the bold parts):

Code:
/apps/er/sys/ctb/filetypes/doc-newspaper/descr=Xournal
/apps/er/sys/ctb/filetypes/doc-newspaper/icon_name=txt
/apps/er/sys/ctb/filetypes/doc-newspaper/template_descr=Xournal Template
/apps/er/sys/ctb/filetypes/doc-newspaper/extensions=xoj;
/apps/er/sys/ctb/filetypes/doc-newspaper/viewer_cmd=/usr/local/bin/xournal
The dr1000.ini file is located in the System folder of your SD-card. Make sure to make a BACKUP of the original file in-case you make a mistake in changing it!!!

NOTE: you will probably have to do this again when you upgrade to a new firmware!
Old 07-21-2009, 02:03 PM   #75
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
I found some time to fix the 'menu dis-appearing' bug and I changed the way I handle the install zip-files.

Installing V3a:

Installing V4a:

Uninstall:
Wow! Thank you! Now I understand.
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote