Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-24-2009, 05:31 AM   #1
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
new iRex DR 800SG [8,1-inch]

It does look like a revised iLiad. A modded pagebar is still there.
3G connection..
USA: Barnes & Noble, Verizon, Best Buy; $399
Is it a somehow iOn platform?
http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/23/i...ouchscreen-te/ [with a lot of photos]
http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/09/23...-800sg-launch/
http://www.irexreader.com/
http://i-to-i.irexnet.com/2009/09/23...igital-reader/

Last edited by yokos; 09-24-2009 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Barnes & Noble, Verizon, Best Buy
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:53 AM   #2
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Personally, I like the appearance of DR800 than DR1000. DR1000 looks too much plastic.
I don't know why iRex add 3G connection to DR800. If iRex sells ebook just like Amazon, or builds strategy alliance with some content provider, then 3G connection makes sense. If users can't buy content directly from DR800, from my experience using iLiad, I think minimal wireless connection should be suffice.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2009, 05:56 AM   #3
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Barnes & Noble eBookstore, Verizon are in the boat.

Last edited by yokos; 09-24-2009 at 06:01 AM.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:03 AM   #4
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokos View Post
Barnes & Noble eBookstore, Verizon are in the boat.
With the feature of directly buying contents, I guess some DR1000 owners will switch to DR800.

Added:
Do you think "true finger touch" (which is coming in Q2 2010 to a future product) desirable?

Last edited by ericshliao; 09-24-2009 at 06:06 AM.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:06 AM   #5
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
No wireless contract is required.
Ah. So there might be an hope for us there.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2009, 08:57 AM   #6
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Ah. So there might be an hope for us there.
I saw that, too, but that wasn't what iRex said at a press event in Holland - she posted about it here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...hp?p=604004#93
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:13 AM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
FYI, iRex was asked about a release outside of the US in their blog recently. They basically said the same thing, that they're looking for partners. However, they did make a comment that we can expect an announcement at the Frankfurt Book Fair coming up in mid October.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
dhiru
Connoisseur
dhiru began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, Irex iliad, sony prs950, kindle Dx, Ipad
Is there any real advantage over irex iliad first generation? considering we will loose mobipocket supoort and its desktop software to sync rss feeds.
dhiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:42 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiru View Post
Is there any real advantage over irex iliad first generation? considering we will loose mobipocket supoort and its desktop software to sync rss feeds.
The DR1000S's software is significantly better than the iLiads, and will form the basis for the DR800SG. I don't think there is much doubt that the battery life and boot speed of the DR800SG will be better than the iLiad's (there is some doubt because this is iRex and their battery claims have often been wildly inaccurate).

The WiFi is an advantage of the iLiad, and it really should be be included on all the "3G" EInk devices. Without WiFi, there is real doubt that a web browser will be provided on the DR800SG. There is one on the Kindle's, and Amazon eats the associated bandwidth costs. The Sony Daily Edition and the DR800SG seem to be more "locked down" than the Kindle so far as general 3G usage is concerned. At a minimum, I hope Sony and iRex (or actually B&N) provide an e-mail delivery service for a fixed cost per MB just as Amazon does today.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:09 PM   #10
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
In the irex faq, they mention that the upcoming (?) 1000sw will have a webkit-based browser. I wonder if that will make it into the 800sg. Won't some of these online ebook stores use a web-based interface?
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:30 PM   #11
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
The DR1000SW has been "upcoming" for almost a year now.

Yes, they've said that the plan is to develop a web browser for the DR1000SW that would also be portable to the DR1000S. We can assume that would mean it could also be ported to the DR800 (since they've indicated that applications should be easily portable between the two).

That's all based on the DR1000SW becoming a real product though. I've never heard any announcements about a release date, for whatever that's worth.

The other possibility is that they've written a browser specifically for the DR800 from the beginning. We probably won't know that until more details come out.

I don't know if the 3G downloads will be done via a browser interface to a B&N website, or if it will be some sort of dedicated app. I haven't seen that covered in any of the reviews (at least, not that I've noticed). I could see either option being viable.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote