Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-22-2008, 05:42 AM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Ishmael, Story of B, Etc

I don't believe these books are available in eBook format, but I'm anxious to get some other viewpoints about these books and hopefully, bibliophiles that we are, others have read them.

I read Ishmael a couple of years ago, and just finished reading The Story of B for a class I'm TA-ing (it's being used as a sort of intro book for a lower division class on meaning and culture - just something approachable to get some of the less trained students in the game.)

At any rate, finishing the Story of B I was really left with exactly the same impression I had of Ishmael... "Hmm... that sounds about right, I suppose. Now what?" Now, letting go of all the factual issues.. his essential thesis is the way we are living is not a way that can sustain us indefinitely. Pretty easy to agree there. And the books are long explanations of that from evolutionary and cultural perspectives....

But Quinn never actually gives you anything to work with in the end! It's great that someone is explaining some of these problems (I suppose) but "Now what?"!! The best I can gather is he is suggesting some sort of neo-tribalism, which is clearly out of the question. And thus his ideas more or less become nonsense.

Anyway, that is my frustration. I'm anxious to hear other ideas.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:56 AM   #2
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
They are not. I actually bought the Ishmael book because I was sitting beside a really nice lady at Starbucks one day and happened to notice the title. I had previously noticed the title was to be had on Audible. But after speaking with her for an hour or more on the book I had yet to read, I was sold it is going to be a great read.

not sure I will get out of it what many others seem too. but for me I seem to get a lot from the writing of Edward Abbey, everything from Monkey Wrench Gang to Desert Solitaire [awesome non-fiction book about living and appreciating the American desert areas]) His writing has truly influenced my life as much as any author. So I have an appreciation of what people seem to get from Quinn's writings.

I am waiting for the right time when i feel up to hold a book long enough to read but will get to it before Spring is done I hope.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2008, 07:16 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Ishmael is a Star Trek book by Barbara Hambly. It's a rather good one too. it's out of print. But it is available as an eBook.

http://www.simonsays.com/content/boo...=9780743419741
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:10 PM   #4
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Ishmael is a Star Trek book by Barbara Hambly. It's a rather good one too. it's out of print. But it is available as an eBook.

http://www.simonsays.com/content/boo...=9780743419741
Actually the OP's reference was to:

Ishmael: An Adventure of the Mind and Spirit by Daniel Quinn

He is also the author of "The Story of B". Both are said to be quite philosophical and many get a lot of deeper meaning from Quinn's writing.

But yeah, the ST Ishmael was one of the better ST's. I have it around here somewhere or had it...I never can remember...

Last edited by brecklundin; 04-08-2008 at 08:40 PM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:15 PM   #5
coolriser092
coolriser092 began at the beginning.

Device: none
nubbish
coolriser092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2008, 07:40 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I had a few friends recommend Ishmael to me, but I never did get around to reading it. Sadly, not available for the Reader yet.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:23 PM   #7
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
For those interested in the Daniel Quinn ideas, there is a 3rd book in that series called 'My Ishmael'.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:20 PM   #8
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
I don't believe these books are available in eBook format, but I'm anxious to get some other viewpoints about these books and hopefully, bibliophiles that we are, others have read them.

I read Ishmael a couple of years ago, and just finished reading The Story of B for a class I'm TA-ing (it's being used as a sort of intro book for a lower division class on meaning and culture - just something approachable to get some of the less trained students in the game.)

At any rate, finishing the Story of B I was really left with exactly the same impression I had of Ishmael... "Hmm... that sounds about right, I suppose. Now what?" Now, letting go of all the factual issues.. his essential thesis is the way we are living is not a way that can sustain us indefinitely. Pretty easy to agree there. And the books are long explanations of that from evolutionary and cultural perspectives....

But Quinn never actually gives you anything to work with in the end! It's great that someone is explaining some of these problems (I suppose) but "Now what?"!! The best I can gather is he is suggesting some sort of neo-tribalism, which is clearly out of the question. And thus his ideas more or less become nonsense.

Anyway, that is my frustration. I'm anxious to hear other ideas.
Having read all three in the series I can only agree with you. Definitely left with a feeling of "yeah that's great and totally spot on but what do we do about it?". Unfortunately Quinn doesn't seem to have any suggestions in that direction, or at least no concrete workable ones.

Obviously the main point Quinn was driving at was the fundamental difference between how "tribes" view the world and how we in "modern culture" have come to view the world. His idea of Takers and Leavers. At the crux of this difference is the false belief we in modern culture seem to hold so dear that states how we live, the path we have taken, etc is just "human nature", implying that it can be no other way. His examination of this belief in the light of the fact that tribal societies have lived for thousands of years, and continue to do so today, quite differently to us is an attempt to open the readers mind to the possibility that things can be different. This is the first step in finding a solution to the problems we are faced with.

I think the books work very well in that regard. Many I know who have read the books have been left with the same feeling of "what now?" but they have also been left thinking about the issues and thinking about what they may do personally to make a difference. Hopefully as this idea/message spreads, someone might eventually read the book and be prompted to think of the issues and might just be the person who does come up with a workable suggestion.

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:04 AM   #9
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I would love to read these books, it is a real shame that they are not available in ebook format.

As for "Now what?", there are many books and internet resources available.
Like this, but there are man others.
http://www.energybulletin.net/

If we are not downsizing our consumption and population, then nature will do it for us. It is not going to be pretty. And the real problem is, that likely we are at the tipping point. Resources (especially oil) are depleting fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ulxe1ie-vEY
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:26 PM   #10
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
For those you liked the Daniel Quinn books, two other books that you may like:

Mutant Message Down Under by Marlo Morgan
Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield (1st book in a series)

Both are available as ebooks through Fictionwise, BooksonBoard and Sony.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ishmael, the story of b