Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 08-06-2008, 08:56 AM   #1
HeatherM
HeatherM can name that song in three notesHeatherM can name that song in three notesHeatherM can name that song in three notesHeatherM can name that song in three notesHeatherM can name that song in three notesHeatherM can name that song in three notesHeatherM can name that song in three notesHeatherM can name that song in three notesHeatherM can name that song in three notesHeatherM can name that song in three notesHeatherM can name that song in three notes

Device: cybook gen3
Broken on-off button

Has anyone else experienced a broken on-off button? My button is stuck in the on position and I have contacted Bookeen to report the fault. I was hopeful this could be fixed and would be keen to know how long a turn-a-round I might expect? Regards Heather (Wales, UK)
HeatherM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:08 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherM View Post
Has anyone else experienced a broken on-off button? My button is stuck in the on position and I have contacted Bookeen to report the fault. I was hopeful this could be fixed and would be keen to know how long a turn-a-round I might expect? Regards Heather (Wales, UK)
You *could* try taking it apart, but I think that voids the warranty. Besides, when I took apart my EB-100, the buttons fell right out. They weren't the easiest to get to stay in place when I re-assembled it.

Now, is the button *jammed* down or is it 'loose' and just won't pop back up because the spring inside is broken? They 'feel' different. If it's the former, then you might be able to wiggle a very small jeweler's screwdriver around the edge and get it to pop up. If it's the latter, you're definitely going to have to send it in for repair.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2008, 02:22 AM   #3
Mikeyboards
Connoisseur
Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: CybkG3; iPads; Kindle PW2, Fire; NookGlow; KoboGlo, Aura HD, Aura One;
There have been times when I thought my on/off button was broken. When not only was the unit stuck "on" (or perhaps stuck "off" while still showing some image), but the button didn't feel like it was triggering, or springing back, or whatever.

Somehow, though, I've always been able to get the unit back to normal, by using the reset button, or plugging it into the computer or other power source via the usb cable, etc. (And some people have had to unplug their batteries briefly, though I haven't had to resort to that.) The on/off button always seemed to resume working once the unit was unfrozen, and I could never feel sure that it was actually the button that was a problem in the first place.

So, before resigning to the send-for-repairs scenario, I would definitely try these other options if you haven't already?
Mikeyboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:33 PM   #4
HeatherM
HeatherM can name that song in three notesHeatherM can name that song in three notesHeatherM can name that song in three notesHeatherM can name that song in three notesHeatherM can name that song in three notesHeatherM can name that song in three notesHeatherM can name that song in three notesHeatherM can name that song in three notesHeatherM can name that song in three notesHeatherM can name that song in three notesHeatherM can name that song in three notes

Thank you both for your advice. The button is stuck not loose. Pulling what can be grasped doesn't help and I am wary of using anything other than a finger nail to try and pull the button out.

The unit is firmly stuck on the icon with 3 dots and will not respond to your suggestion to (1) plug in the usb to recharge or (2) plug into my laptop. I'm worried that the ink screen will be affected by continually showing the 3 dots icon.

I removed the battery to get some reaction, or at least clear the screen, but it remained as was.

I've also realised the LED light will not light up either when attempting to recharge (but this may be because it was fully charged anyway?).

I rang Paris and sopke to a helpful guy there who said he'd chase up the helpdesk for me. After only two days I remain hopeful Bookeen will respond.

Thank heavens I still have a working Franklin! I'll advise more when Bookeen respond -- hopefully not too long from now. :It could be a long wet summer in not so Sunny Wales while I re-read my hard copies... eek:Heth
Old 08-07-2008, 02:24 PM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
The unit is firmly stuck on the icon with 3 dots and will not respond to your suggestion to (1) plug in the usb to recharge or (2) plug into my laptop. I'm worried that the ink screen will be affected by continually showing the 3 dots icon.
That shouldn't worry you, the e-ink screen will not be damaged by having some permanent image, that's one of its features.

Quote:
I removed the battery to get some reaction, or at least clear the screen, but it remained as was.
That's another of the screen's features. Since it does not take any power to just show a static image, it will keep the image when there is no power. That means you Cybook is off, really powered down, the screen is just showing the last image it had.

Quote:
I've also realised the LED light will not light up either when attempting to recharge (but this may be because it was fully charged anyway?).
That sounds more worrying. I'd say the LED should turn on even if the battery is fully charged (at least for some time), but maybe not.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2008, 11:40 PM   #6
Mikeyboards
Connoisseur
Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Well, while you're waiting to hear from the helpdesk, I guess it wouldn't hurt to consider this (below; last paragraph in particular). It probably makes about as much sense to you as my saying you should stand on one foot and hop up and down while spinning in a circle; your response would be "why would that work?" But since it really did seem to work for me once, I figured I'd reprint what I posted back then, even though it will probably just make me sound stupid twice. But if there's even a small chance it will help... [Again, the last paragraph below, in particular.]

"On one occasion, I tried the reset button (located on the back of the unit, pressing with the end of a paper clip or a ballpoint pen), and it wouldn't reset. So then I tried using the reset button in combination with the On/Off button, and that rebooted the Cybook. (Holding down both of those buttons at once.)

On another occasion, the previous solution would not work. So I tried different button combinations. The magic combination was pressing and holding the On/Off button and then pressing the Back button. (Button 2nd from the bottom on the left edge of the unit.) Pretty sure it was that particular button, and pretty sure it was in that order. But apparently, trying different button combinations simultaneously can sometimes get you out of send-it-back-to-Bookeen mode!"
Old 08-08-2008, 04:19 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyboards View Post
"On one occasion, I tried the reset button (located on the back of the unit, pressing with the end of a paper clip or a ballpoint pen), and it wouldn't reset. So then I tried using the reset button in combination with the On/Off button, and that rebooted the Cybook. (Holding down both of those buttons at once.)
You have to understand what the "reset" button does and how the screen works.

The reset button just turns the unit off, it does not turn it on afterwards. The screen, in turn, is e-ink, which means it stays with a given image until it's instructed to change it. When you normally turn the unit off, it sends a "white" image to the screen before really powering down, so that you see a blank screen when the unit is off; but when you press the reset button, nothing is sent to the screen, it just stays the way it was before (and consumes no energy). In order to do a full reset, you have to press the reset button (that turns the unit off) and then press the on/off button (that turns the unit on, and only then will the screen show any change), no need to press both buttons at once.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:49 AM   #8
Mikeyboards
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
In order to do a full reset, you have to press the reset button (that turns the unit off) and then press the on/off button (that turns the unit on, and only then will the screen show any change), no need to press both buttons at once.
Yes, it is helpful to know how the reset button works. The reason I included that paragraph (which I probably should have edited: the 2nd to the last paragraph, from a previous posting) is that Heather had not mentioned the reset button, and I thought that was worth mentioning. (Even with the unit already apparently turned off, it might be worth poking the reset button in case IT was stuck.)

But my main point was to try pressing 2 other buttons at once, as described in the last paragraph (of the Mikeyboards post), where the reset button was not one of those buttons. It may be possible that certain button combinations could have an effect.

Last edited by Mikeyboards; 08-08-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:01 PM   #9
HeatherM

Dear all, thank you for your advice which was gratefully received - I tried all your suggestions (barring trying to take off the back) and remain stumped. Likely a spring has come loose inside which is why the button remains stuck but it wasn't dropped so this is a mystery.

After calling Paris again on Friday to chase up why I hadn't heard anything, I posted the unit back to Bookeen yesterday and it should arrive mid week.

Bookeeen's Customer Services provided clear concise advice buy email on the method of postage but if you are ever in this position and posting from the UK or from within Europe, you do not need to add information to the package such as US customs valuations or the words 'Bookeen Sample'.

The Royal Mail charged me £9.99, including signing on delivery & insurance cover for the unit, which, as advised, was sent minus all loose bits of kit that came in the box.

The Bookeen Inspection people will look at the unit and report back. I was advised that a payment method will be advised, 'if required'. This doesn't bode well but I remain hopefull.

I'll post a further update when I hear anything more.

Regards, and thanks again for your advice, Heth
Old 08-18-2008, 04:42 PM   #10
HeatherM

Smile

Just to advise, CyBook have made a very fast response (only 3 working days).

They emailed today to advise that "the On/Off button is broken. As the broken parts are not covered by the warranty, we invite you to issue a 20€ payment (parts, labour and VAT included) + 15.10€ for shipment".

I thought this was reasonable and the response was very quick compared to other suppliers. It's good to know that broken parts can be sorted!

When returning your unit for inspection by the supprt team you will need to include a returns form, including your individual 'RMA...' reference code. The payments forms was attached to todays post inspection email.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the outcome and am most grateful for the advice I have received from forum users.

All best, Heth
Old 08-18-2008, 04:47 PM   #11
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
If you have not mistreated the button it is covered by the warranty at least if you live in an EU country. The claim that things that break is not covered is ridicolous.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:40 PM   #12
SandySchwab
Mad Author
SandySchwab began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Heather, sorry to hear about the broken button.

Quote:
They emailed today to advise that "the On/Off button is broken. As the broken parts are not covered by the warranty, we invite you to issue a 20€ payment (parts, labour and VAT included) + 15.10€ for shipment".
This is ridiculous. What IS covered by their "warranty"? A Cybook that has spontaneously self-combusted?
SandySchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:57 PM   #13
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandySchwab View Post

This is ridiculous. What IS covered by their "warranty"? A Cybook that has spontaneously self-combusted?

Sorry? What? Do you have *PROOF*?!?!? (I'm sure that Bookeen would require the Cybook to have reached over, turned on the video camera, read a self-destruction manifesto, perform it's act of selfless self-destruction, then edit, package and send same to Bookeen. That *MIGHT* be enough. )

Derek
Old 08-25-2008, 02:18 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandySchwab View Post

We already have proof that they don't even fix that. Screens have been known to just crack and not be fixed under warranty.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:58 PM   #15
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
We already have proof that they don't even fix that. Screens have been known to just crack and not be fixed under warranty.
Hell. I'm *still* waiting for an RMA number for a Cybook which crashed and will NOT recover from attempting the Build 708 install - a 512MB Cybook at that!

I've even e-mailed Laurent Pickard, one of the bigwigs at Bookeen, and have not heard one word back.

I guess once you're no longer a viable Cybook reseller, Bookeen won't listen. Sigh.

I'm going to have to send *my* 512MB Cybook to the customer and wait for Bookeen to *finally* respond to my RMA request. Good freaking thing I've got a working 64MB model. And don't get me started on Netronix - It's been *THREE WEEKS* and they still haven't responded to my request for an RMA to have my spotaneously-broken display replaced - this even though I've specifically stated I expect to pay for the replacement!

If I had *one* broken device with a working screen, I'd swap it out to the EB-100. Sigh.

What pisses me off is I've shelled out over $1,000 for three units out of the four currently sitting on my desk. But if you look at it, I've had *FIVE* pass through my hands. The 64MB is a replacement of a broken one. *MY* 512MB is a replacement of a broken one. My EB-100 is broken and hasn't been replaced. My friend's 512MB is a replacement of a broken one - that one broken by the upgrade process and the *REPLACEMENT* broke as a result of the upgrade process! I don't have a single one of my original devices anywhere near me.

I'll grant that the very first unit broke as a result of an accident - the danged thing slipped from a counter to the floor. But the rest are all "spontaneous" breakages.
Derek

Last edited by delphidb96; 08-25-2008 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Wanted to expand upon my opinion.