Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-26-2008, 04:48 AM   #91
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandor62 View Post
All I Can suggest here is buy the pBook and then look for an electronic copy. If you own the words then you should be ok. I have them all
I think you own the paper or whatever format the words are on. You don't own the words. The words are copyrighted to the author or publisher.

But it's still a good advice.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:16 AM   #92
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I wonder if they're sending a free Kindle to J.K. Rowling now? They probably have a bit of an "in" with her, after bidding fairly high on her charity auction and then convincing her to do these special editions of Beedle the Bard for charity. I could just see them negotiating for the rights to sell a special Kindle edition (Red with the Gryffindor Lion or Green with the Slytherin Snake) with all 7 books plus the 3 charity titles pre-loaded-- with some percentage of proceeds to go to charity. Rowling was quite keen to endorse the "Ancient Forest Friendly" recycled books I bought from Canada. If someone could convince her that the Kindle is the right platform, pointing to Goodkind as an example, perhaps, it would be quite a coup for Amazon.
So I guess we have to count ourselves lucky that JK is British and that the Kindle isn't available in the UK (and in 85% of the rest of the world)... So that won't happen, just like all actors in the Harry Potter movies were British and not American .......
Wake up, 95% of the world population has NO access to a Kindle and therefore alone this is a very bad deal
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2008, 10:57 AM   #93
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Ah yes, I'd forgotten that the Kindle still isn't available outside the US (since I don't own one anyway). I suspect that will change soon, though.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:19 PM   #94
gandor62
Connoisseur
gandor62 began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, Ipad, Kindle 2
oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
I think you own the paper or whatever format the words are on. You don't own the words. The words are copyrighted to the author or publisher.

But it's still a good advice.

Badly written by me. smack:

I should have said that if you own the Printed Book you own the right to read it. Reading it electronically is still reading it.
gandor62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:55 PM   #95
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
I'm hoping not many authors pick one device to go exclusive on. I downloaded Wizard's First Rule 2 -4 years ago...so I already have an okay copy but I was hoping to buy a OCR error free copy. This another case were the Darknet beats the competition.

Last edited by Amalthia; 08-26-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2008, 08:09 PM   #96
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I don't mind when a store such as Target has an exclusive CD edition with say an extra track. I can still purchase it there and use or I can choose not to get it and get the regular edition or not get it at all. But in this case, Amazon has made it impossible for me to get the eBook edition. Amazon has taken away my right to choose. Do you want to let this happen? I think not. My next step is to email Amazon and tell them what I think of their tactics. If Amazon wants to help the eBook market, they need to stop exclusivity.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:37 PM   #97
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If Amazon wants to help the eBook market, they need to stop exclusivity.
Well, they want to help their ebook (and reader) sales.

I agree it's not good for the broader ebook market.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:25 PM   #98
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Well, they want to help their ebook (and reader) sales.

I agree it's not good for the broader ebook market.
It may seem good for Amazon, but is it really? I mean people may not want to go with a company that is hurting eBooks overall.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:40 PM   #99
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It may seem good for Amazon, but is it really? I mean people may not want to go with a company that is hurting eBooks overall.
Oh, I agree with you, but I'm not sure the average purchaser even thinks about it. Sorta like buying DRM'd books without thinking of the implications.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:59 AM   #100
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Oh, I agree with you, but I'm not sure the average purchaser even thinks about it. Sorta like buying DRM'd books without thinking of the implications.
Yep. Plenty of people buy music from iTunes and load it on their iPod without ever realizing there's DRM.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:01 AM   #101
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
So I guess we have to count ourselves lucky that JK is British and that the Kindle isn't available in the UK (and in 85% of the rest of the world)... So that won't happen, just like all actors in the Harry Potter movies were British and not American .......
Wake up, 95% of the world population has NO access to a Kindle and therefore alone this is a very bad deal
Do we know if this deal is for ALL electronic rights or just US? Beyond that, do we know the duration of the exclusivity of this deal? Some folks here are registered over at his forum so I'm wondering if we have more details now.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:10 AM   #102
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
The sorts of people who do go out and purchase an eink reader after having researched it or do the research without a purchase are the types that would notice.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:46 PM   #103
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Do we know if this deal is for ALL electronic rights or just US? Beyond that, do we know the duration of the exclusivity of this deal? Some folks here are registered over at his forum so I'm wondering if we have more details now.
Both good questions. Amazon might well have bought the international ebook rights if they plan to roll out the Kindle internationally in the near future.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:47 PM   #104
nexist
nexist began at the beginning.

Device: zire 72
Well, the first three anyway. His proselytizing for "Objectivism" makes the series progressively less palatable. Ayn Rand is a boil on the buttocks of philosophy.
nexist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:48 PM   #105
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Ah. My interest in reading these has just dropped by an order of magnitude or so.

Tags
duck!