Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #16
anthony.burton4
Connoisseur
anthony.burton4 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
No what's been going on is that people have been trying to convince me that Sigil has always behaved in a certain way, when I know damn well it hasn't.

My original question was "Am I missing something, another setting". The answer is no - Sigil has changed. I don't object to this - it's free - if I cared enough, I'd change it myself. The reason this thread has gone on so long is because people either haven't properly read what I've written, or they aren't as familiar with the program as myself. Previously you could completely disable auto-correction. Now you can't.
End of story.
anthony.burton4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Previously you could completely disable auto-correction. Now you can't.
And once again... that's the part you're still exactly wrong about. You never could completely disable auto-correction in the past ... regardless of any warning(s) you didn't get.

Yes, Sigil's behavior has changed. But not in the way you're assuming it did.

You don't like the behavior change; we get that. But that still doesn't make your assumption that you were able to disable 100% of the auto-corrections in past versions (and now you can't in the newest version) any more accurate. That's not what's going on.

But I think I'm done. You seem to be getting angry over all this
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #18
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony.burton4 View Post
No what's been going on is that people have been trying to convince me that Sigil has always behaved in a certain way, when I know damn well it hasn't.
Even though I see that Diap has tried repeatedly to explain this, and you seem to be unwilling to hear what he's saying, that's not right. Previously, you simply didn't know that Sigil "changed" the file upon opening. Now, it tells you and gives you a choice. I believe--no offense--that you are confusing the old Tidy options with what occurred when attempting to open an invalid or imperfect ePUB.

Quote:
My original question was "Am I missing something, another setting". The answer is no - Sigil has changed. I don't object to this - it's free - if I cared enough, I'd change it myself. The reason this thread has gone on so long is because people either haven't properly read what I've written, or they aren't as familiar with the program as myself. Previously you could completely disable auto-correction. Now you can't.
End of story.
No, what's changed is that now, Sigil tells you and you have a choice. Before, you didn't. As someone else noted, you seem to be objecting to the two pop-ups, primarily, so the easy solution is to view the ePUB with something like Calibre or ADE. If you want to view the guts, then live with Sigil's pop-ups. You can tell it to auto-correct, and then, if you don't like what it does, simply exit the program without saving. I mean...this is hardly a big deal. What DiapDealer is telling you is correct--you are misconstruing what Sigil is actually doing, and how it worked previously, versus how it works now. What's changed are a) the notifications and b) the options it gives you.

As you say you can code and fix it yourself, then just pop open the old install versions versus the new, and take a look at it. There's no reason to sit here and get angry at people who use this every damned day explaining to you that your previous perception as to how Sigil worked is inaccurate--you can prove it to yourself. These very changes (the notifications and the options) have been the topic of significant discussion on this forum, both before they were implemented and after. There were weeks of very intense discussion about the ability to save a "corrupted" ePUB deliberately and intentionally, so the regular users of Sigil happen to be extremely familiar with this particular aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
And once again... that's the part you're still exactly wrong about. You never could completely disable auto-correction in the past ... regardless of any warning(s) you didn't get.

Yes, Sigil's behavior has changed. But not in the way you're assuming it did.

<snip>
But I think I'm done. You seem to be getting angry over all this
Diap:

I don't think the explanations are working. Four different people--now 5--have all said the same thing, all of us apparently stupid, mistaken, or just lying for fun, one supposes.

I think that as he could recode it himself to "change" it, he can look at the old code in the packages versus the new and establish for himself that the auto-correct behavior is changed in a different way than he previously understood. If he's a coder, it's not like he's the typical newbie; he can look for himself. In fact, look at it this way: he can pop open the code in older editions versus this one just to prove us wrong, if he wishes. ;-) I suggest we let him get on with it.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:40 AM   #19
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
I really don't intend to pile on, but there's something no one has explicitly addressed.

If you want to simply view the internals of a given epub, be advised that when opening it with Sigil, it will be "normalized" - which means that files and directories will be re-arranged according to a standard structure which Sigil imposes before it even lets you see the epub. So in certain cases, you will never see the original structure of the epub upon opening it with Sigil. This is well documented.

If this is not what you want, there is a simple work around: Don't use Sigil. Unzip the epub with an archive program, and browse the resulting directory structure with a file browser, and edit the files with your choice of editor, and re-pack the file structure with your preferred zip program.

Horses for courses.

Bleating here because Sigil is what it is, rather than what you expected it to be, is kind of a waste of time all around.

Just sayin'

Albert
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:59 AM   #20
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
If one takes a look at recoding it, he/she will come up against the same problem that user_none did. There are limitations to the underlying qt webkit software that the editor uses. The use of declarations at the top of one kind or another causes yet different problems. To keep spaces in book view from disappearing on saving as html has posed way more effort than anyone would expect. Also support for languages other than English has posed subtle and not so subtle problems.

These issues were ignored or swept under the rug by previous editions and epubs with errors or problems were changed without notice and in the beginning that is what we all wanted. As Sigil got improved, more attention was paid to these issues and also to maintaining valid html. This focus causes Sigil to modestly change some things so that it can do something rather than spend all day maintaining someone's definitely funky way of constructing an epub. It is already at a million lines and it was reasonably decided that it wasn't productive to do so.

As was said by others, if a user wants their epub unchanged, get a zip program, unzip the epub and make the changes in any text editor and rezip it again. It will be guaranteed to be unchanged. BUT it will NOT be guaranteed to be valid, nor can you can it be expected to be at least readable in most readers nearly all the time.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #21
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
As was said by others, if a user wants their epub unchanged, get a zip program, unzip the epub and make the changes in any text editor and rezip it again. It will be guaranteed to be unchanged. BUT it will NOT be guaranteed to be valid, nor can you can it be expected to be at least readable in most readers nearly all the time.
Better to use Tweak ePub. It is free and keeps the ePub intact while you make the changes using you own editor. It will, at least, let you preview the change.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #22
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Right of course. That makes it easy to keep the files in the correct order and zipped or not zipped.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:08 AM   #23
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Right of course. That makes it easy to keep the files in the correct order and zipped or not zipped.
I love ePUB Tweak (which I dl'ed from Atlantis, bless their hearts); I use it all the time, particularly when I forget (and, boy, this happens often enough) to remove the xml file for Apple (for the fonts) when we make a "Smashwords ePUB" for a client. When we remember, I quickly do a version in which I remember to remove that stupid file, using ePUB Tweak. It's lovely for fast fixes.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote