Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #31
altworld
Evangelist
altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android G1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
And, in your experience, what do you think of those who say they haven't read Ayn Rand's books?

Don
(Someone who has read "The Fountainhead")
If your not looking or wanting to read opinion why do you come to a message board? Almost feels like a troll style comment on your part.
altworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #32
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by altworld View Post
If your not looking or wanting to read opinion why do you come to a message board? Almost feels like a troll style comment on your part.

When one makes a statement such as this, "My experience of Ayn Rand books is those that say they read them haven't really read them other that [sic] first couple of chapters. Not the best of books to be honest," smacks of such a huge generalization that I'm left wondering what sense of logic would cause one to make such a broad generalization. Applying this type of experiential logic, therefore (as you have done), leaves one to question any kind of rationalization that you might come to.

I thoroughly enjoy reading opinions - even yours. Honest.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-05-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #33
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
And, in your experience, what do you think of those who say they haven't read Ayn Rand's books?

Don
Smart cookies.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:44 AM   #34
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:

Don
A fair question.
Some I know, technical types, don't read those kind of - weighty social- books.
Others don't read much that isn't fun or required.

I read one of my father's paperbacks because it had a picture of a woman putting her bra on or so I remember. It was full of superficial grownup self and social sermonizing crap. I didn't read any more.

Tolkien, Vance, Dickson, and Anderson were much more interesting.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #35
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post

Tolkien, Vance, Dickson, and Anderson were much more interesting.

I'm a huge, huge fan of Vance's work.

I know that some people I've met have been turned off of him because of his language; and yet, to my thinking he's a master of English prose.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-07-2013 at 06:40 AM.
Advert
Old 05-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #36
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I usually try to be a writer 1/4 clock time. I work in a business I partially own. I do well with both I think, but the business effort is compounded and currently pays 4 to 6 times as much as the writing and after a project still has an equity value, so there is no choice about which comes first. If the business requirement was such that there was no writing time, into the night, and weekends, and holidays, then that would be that. The writing would have to go.

However, if I could set a world, a culture, a character as quickly and as profoundly well as Jack Vance did, ...
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #37
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I have a few Jack Vance on the shelf that haven't been touched in years ... you're making me think it's time I brought them down again.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:45 AM   #38
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I have a few Jack Vance on the shelf that haven't been touched in years ... you're making me think it's time I brought them down again.

They're starting to become available as ebooks, but most are still a bit expensive in my opinion. I enjoy the richness of his language.

If you can (and if you're not aware of him), check out "Nift the Lean," by Michael Shea. It won the World Fantasy Award for Best Novel in 1983. Unfortunately, I don't see it available as an ebook.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nift.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	105521   Click image for larger version

Name:	niftthelean.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	105522  
Old 05-07-2013, 07:44 AM   #39
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
They're starting to become available as ebooks, but most are still a bit expensive in my opinion. I enjoy the richness of his language.

If you can (and if you're not aware of him), check out "Nift the Lean," by Michael Shea. It won the World Fantasy Award for Best Novel in 1983. Unfortunately, I don't see it available as an ebook.[...]
Thanks for the recommendation. I have seen his books in the shops but not yet picked one up.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote