Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-18-2012, 06:43 AM   #1
MorningSong
MorningSong began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Keyboard
[Invalid]AZW3/KF8 Conversion: Italics show up in ebook-reader, but not on Kindle3 3.4

Hi! I wasn't sure whether this should go here, or in the devices forum, but I'm not sure whether the issue is with the Kindle's software, or with Calibre's conversion progress

I've got the Nook Epub version of a book, that I used calibre to convert to AZW3 for viewing on a Kindle 3, but when I do this conversion, all the italic formatting in the book is lost--the dropcaps are left intact, however. This issue doesn't happen when I convert to old MOBI format, but then I lose the dropcaps.

And even stranger, when I open the AZW3 in Calibre's builtin ebook-reader, the italics do show up.

Thankfully, the problem is there in the free sample chapter too, so I'll link those files:

Here's the original epub
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/187059/ebook...ba%20Bray.epub

and here's the converted azw3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/187059/ebook...ba%20Bray.azw3

The first place the issue shows up is the dedication and two opening quotes after the table of contents.

Last edited by MorningSong; 09-18-2012 at 07:54 AM.
MorningSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:47 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Test your azw3 file with the kindle previewer program, if the italics show up there, then you know the problem is with the kindle device.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
MorningSong
MorningSong began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Keyboard
Ah hah. Thank you for the advice--turns out, it's not a problem in calibre or amazon's firmware, but in the fonts hack for kindle, of all things. I'll mark the thread invalid.
MorningSong is offline   Reply With Quote