Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
ralphiedee
Zealot
ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
Font does not show up on IPad

I know that there are certain fonts that will not display in an epub file displayed on an Ipad. I originally copied the text from an InDesign file got the font substitution msg. Once I did a test of the epub in Sigil, it looks fine in ADE but there is a font missing when viewing on IPad. I found the font, opened the container.xml file in the META-INF folder and the xml file looks like this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<encryption xmlns="urnasis:names:tcpendocument:xmlns:conta iner" xmlns:enc="http://www.w3.org/2001/04/xmlenc#">
<enc:EncryptedData>
<enc:EncryptionMethod Algorithm="http://ns.adobe.com/pdf/enc#RC"/>
<enc:CipherData>
<enc:CipherReference URI="OEBPS/Fonts/BlackoakStd.otf"/>
</enc:CipherData>
</enc:EncryptedData>
<enc:EncryptedData>

<enc:EncryptionMethod Algorithm="http://ns.adobe.com/pdf/enc#RC"/>
<enc:CipherData>
<enc:CipherReference URI="OEBPS/Fonts/MaturaMTScriptCapitals.otf"/>

The font is that does NOT display is in blue, it is in the fonts folder of the epub yet it does not display in IPad but I see it in ADE reader.

btw the font is

MaturaMTScriptCapitals.otf
any help?

RD
ralphiedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I found the font, opened the container.xml file in the META-INF folder and the xml file looks like this
That's not the contents of the "container.xml" file. That's the "encryption.xml" file... used with fonts that are obfuscated using Adobe's font-mangling scheme. It tells reading systems how to un-obfuscate the fonts.

If the font displays properly in ADE but not in iBooks (at least I assume you mean iBooks since iPad is not an ebook reader), then it must be a quirk of the iBooks reader. There are many.

Was there a "com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml" in the META-INF folder along with the container.xml and encryption.xml files? It needs to be there for embedded fonts to work properly in iBooks.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Are you reading it with iBooks, BlueFire???
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
ralphiedee
Zealot
ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
Sorry bout the typo, yes it is the encryption file. I was looking at the epub file in IBooks on my IPad2 just to clear that up. There is no "com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml" in the META-INF folder. How do I generate that?

RD
ralphiedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm no expert on iBooks, but I think that file consists of a single line that contains:
Code:
<option name="specified-fonts">true</option>
... but don't quote me on that. Googling that file name should get you all the details on it you need.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2012, 02:45 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
DiapDealer, you are correct.

For more info, see this blog-entry from Liz Castro.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Just a quick note. When you are creating a topic like this, it's not an iPad problem. It's an iBooks problem. The topic makes it sound like there is a problem with the iPad and there isn't. The topic should have been...

Font not displaying in iBooks
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote