Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 09-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem is that the flood we just had makes it harder for users to see other new messages as they get pushed way down the list. It meant that we had to either mark the forum read or display each message and then when a lot of the threads were added to, we had to do it again. Sure, I don't mind single threads per book. But not if it's done in a way that causes a flood. I don't see any issue with using a thread for free eBooks based on reader/store/etc. But make it consistent and that way a flood won't be an issue at all.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:23 PM   #17
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
The number of threads you get for the free books depends entirely on the stores/publishers offering the free books.

If there are a lot of them at once (most usually offered at the start of every month and on Tuesdays each week), then you'll get a flood regardless.

We do have consistency in how the threads are posted with an acknowledged convention that most posters follow. It's just that the quantity is dependent on external factors.

If the quantity of free e-books threads relative to the bargains and hardware deals is causing an issue for you, may I suggest proposing instead a Free Promotional Deals sub-forum?

That way you only end up having one forum to mark read/ignore and can still see the other deals you might be interested in.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2011, 11:20 PM   #18
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is that the flood we just had makes it harder for users to see other new messages as they get pushed way down the list. It meant that we had to either mark the forum read or display each message and then when a lot of the threads were added to, we had to do it again. Sure, I don't mind single threads per book. But not if it's done in a way that causes a flood. I don't see any issue with using a thread for free eBooks based on reader/store/etc. But make it consistent and that way a flood won't be an issue at all.
I'm sorry Jon. I may be dense, but I don't understand the bolded part of your comment. Why do you need to mark the forum read or display each message? New messages are marked with titles and format/seller. It's easy for me to skim the message titles, paging to next pages as need, to decide if I'm interested in what's offered. You *really* need to step through each message, even if it's in a format/seller you don't want to deal with (as I know you dislike .mobi and Amazon as a seller).
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:47 AM   #19
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
<snip>

It takes a mod to do that, and I know that there are at least two mods which frequent this forum to do updates, one of whom (dreams, I believe) makes it a point to kindly take the time to visit at least once a day to check and change the titles so that people skimming the forum don't miss out on deals applicable to their reader.
Sorry for coming in late on this, but I have been without any internet connection for a couple of weeks.

I try to visit the Deals forum a couple of times a day and update thread titles according to new posts about availability at other sites. As koland mentioned, there is an accepted convention for titles.

As suggested, it is very helpful if members post about finding a book at another site, that way a thread title can be updated to reflect that. It does take time to check and update each and every thread and I am happy to do so, especially since members have taken the time to find and post about great deals for the rest of us.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote