Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 10-28-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
borisb
Edge User

Kobo now has newspapers and magazines

Kobo has just added a small number of major newspapers and a small selection of magazines: http://www.kobobooks.com/newsstand. They're currently offering 2 week free trial subscriptions.

Kobo books work on the eDGe since they're in Adobe Digital Editions format. However, the newspapers apparently need the actual Kobo Reader app (unlike for books where Kobo provides you the download link, newspapers/magazines have no such download link). Since the Kobo Reader app for Android is only available via the Google Market (and I can't find the APK anywhere else), we eDGe owners are currently out of luck on this.

If anyone has a Kobo Reader, I'd be interested to hear how these newspapers actually look. Up until now I've only had access to newspapers in an EPUB format that looks nothing like the print edition (and I personally do not find reading them in this format at all engaging or even pleasant...).

Old 10-29-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
borisb
Edge User

Turns out that newspaper and magazine content is only available on iPhone/iPod/iPad and the Kobo ereader. The Android Kobo app isn't able to get the subscription content, for reasons unknown as an iPhone/iPod isn't any bigger/smaller than an Android phone...

Advert
Old 10-30-2010, 02:14 AM   #3
keng2000
Edge User

on Android OS, pressreader is the big newspaper provider. It is on Galaxy Tab.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:50 AM   #4
borisb
Edge User

enTourage did arrange with http://www.pressdisplay.com to supply newspaper content for the eDGe, and it definitely works. It's available via Library - Store - e-Periodicals.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:43 AM   #5
phylum sinter
Edge User

I would love to get periodicals on my eDGe, personally... i think since android is still behind apple in marketshare (though maybe not for much longer?) products that use the iOS got the feature first.

Advert
Old 11-02-2010, 01:46 AM   #6
phylum sinter
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
enTourage did arrange with http://www.pressdisplay.com to supply newspaper content for the eDGe, and it definitely works. It's available via Library - Store - e-Periodicals.
could you link to the app here? i don't have my eDGe yet.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #7
borisb
Edge User

There's no app for it (it's actually a website). Bookmark this thread so that when you get your eDGe you'll have a note regarding how to access the periodicals on the eDGe.