Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 06-07-2011, 09:20 AM   #1
AbbyNormal
Geek
AbbyNormal began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 360, Pocket Edge, Kobo Touch
PE back from hospital, should I try Ermine again?

Hi folks,

I recently got my PE back from the hospital for the white screen of death after updating to Ermine.

Should I risk Ermine again?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Aimee
AbbyNormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
did you get back the same PE you sent in, or did they just end up sending you a new one?
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
AbbyNormal
Geek

Good question... I don't know! It looks the same but I didn't write down any serial numbers or anything.

How can I tell?
Old 06-07-2011, 11:34 AM   #4
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

well, if it didn't have any distinguishing marks I don't know if you can... I would do the update if I were in your situation, but its totally your choice...
Old 06-07-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
sabman
sabman began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
I got the same device back. I did not intend to update till I played around with the Dingo version for a while. After booting it up I got a message that an update is available. I assumed this was the update for the Dingo version itself. So I did update and have been using it for a while now without much problems. But I will make sure I won't hit the hibernate button and get that damn WSOD again.
sabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyNormal View Post
Good question... I don't know! It looks the same but I didn't write down any serial numbers or anything. How can I tell?
Did you register with Adobe for DRM purposes; not sure whether the serial number would have been recorded.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #7
AbbyNormal
Geek

I did register with Adobe but their website doesn't seem to have any device-specific information.

Sabman, I never hit the hibernate button, it happened after I just closed the two halves together. Maybe this makes it hibernate?

Honestly I don't know if I can resist updating. Must... have... latest...
Old 06-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #8
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie
Last_of_the_PEs began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage PE
For what it's worth. I upgraded to Ermine the day I got my pocket edge, before I did anything else, and everything went fine.

I'm not sure how a PE gets into a state where the documented "golden update" doesn't work. I haven't done it, but it seems to be a process that takes hold before the unit actually "boots up".
Last_of_the_PEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #9
emusan
lol

Quote:
I did register with Adobe but their website doesn't seem to have any device-specific information.

Sabman, I never hit the hibernate button, it happened after I just closed the two halves together. Maybe this makes it hibernate?

Honestly I don't know if I can resist updating. Must... have... latest...
yes, closing it should make it hibernate, though one user seems to be having problems with it(we don't know quite why yet)...
Old 06-07-2011, 05:48 PM   #10
CheyenneDonna
Connoisseur
CheyenneDonna has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Entourage Edge
My PE only hibernates on closing when it wants to. Many times I have opened a supposedly hibernating PE to find it either had drained the battery and shut off or is about to do so.
CheyenneDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:41 PM   #11
javese
Zealot
javese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge(Black)
I met white screen death once when I were adding a batch of books into library.There were so many books being added that the screen lock timer was up during the process and caused a white screen death.Fortunately the reset recovered my PE from death and then I set the timer to '5 minutes".No more white screen death by now.
javese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:13 PM   #12
Edward_R
Zealot
Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Pacific Northwest (about 35 miles northeast of Seattle)
Device: K3 / HP 10" Tablet (FBreader Installed)
Quote:
Hi folks,

I recently got my PE back from the hospital for the white screen of death after updating to Ermine.

Should I risk Ermine again?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Aimee
I just got my PE back after the WSOD as well. The first thing I did was try to connect to the wireless network at work and found that the MAC address had changed even though the serial number was the same (I'm concluding there was a major hardware replacement). The next thing I did after getting it back was to re-register (the registration server still works), and then I bought a 3 year Squaretrade warranty from amazon.com. I'm planning to update again, but I wanted to make sure I'd have support first.
Edward_R is offline   Reply With Quote