Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats > LRF

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 03:31 PM   #136
cacapee
Connoisseur
cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.

Device: prs-500
Thanks for the feedback. Anyone got the linux commandline working and prefer it to using wine?
Old 09-16-2007, 03:38 PM   #137
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I certainly prefer using the commandline to wine.
Advert
Old 09-16-2007, 04:47 PM   #138
ereszet
Zealot
ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 Archos 704 wifi
No success in Ubuntu 7.04 terminal mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacapee View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Anyone got the linux commandline working and prefer it to using wine?
./pdflrf -h works ok (BTW it should be pdlrf rather than pdflrf.exe in help)
./pdflrf -V works ok
./pdflr -ibuba.pdf -obuba.lrf does not work (first the cursor blinks - no info on progress, then stops blinking, and terminal does not respond anymore - just lets me write with no response)

Last edited by ereszet; 09-16-2007 at 04:49 PM. Reason: corrected extensions in command line example
Old 09-16-2007, 10:05 PM   #139
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
I cannot reproduce it here. Does it happen with any kind of file?
Happens every time I try to convert a second pdf file in the same session (using 'browse' it quits after I select the new file to convert. Happens every time too.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:17 PM   #140
cacapee
Connoisseur
cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.

New build uploaded. Fixed threading bug that causes it to hang occasionally under linux. Fixed TOC. Erosion now works sensibly with small images (like those of comic strips). Can also go down to 2 colors.

DrMoze - try this version - I still cannot reproduce your bug. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Last edited by cacapee; 09-16-2007 at 10:20 PM.
Advert
Old 09-17-2007, 05:34 AM   #141
ereszet
Zealot
ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Perfect results in Ubuntu 7.04

Quote:
New build uploaded. Fixed threading bug that causes it to hang occasionally under linux. Fixed TOC. Erosion now works sensibly with small images (like those of comic strips). Can also go down to 2 colors.

DrMoze - try this version - I still cannot reproduce your bug. Has anyone else had a similar problem?
I tested pdf and djvu documents. No problems, just some warning messages when processing pdf (may be a pdf problem - Google pdf books have various problems in other programs as well).

The first warning message is about fonts (Cannot find etc. - I don't care about that as long as the end result is perfect)
The second warning is:
Processing page: 65, Progress: 31
21654 extraneous bytes after segment

But again the end result is perfect. As for speed, pdf was slow, djvu was fast (different documents though).
I will do some speed comparisons Ubuntu/DOS in the next few days.

For your consideration:
I assume that you convert pdf/djvu to images, then you process the images and convert them to lrf. Therefore, I assume again that it is not a huge problem for you to include an option to output processed images. That would be a nice thing to have since images in Sony can be scaled up (e.g. a picture of a road map improved through your algorithm). And of course, once I have the beefed up images, I can always convert them to pdfs and use them with all kind of readers, not only Sony.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:07 PM   #142
adinb
RSS & Gadget Addict!
adinb is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-500, iPod Touch, iPhone
Since you seem to be getting linux under control, any possibility of an OS X build?

If you don't have an OS X machine handy, I'll volunteer my machine (VNC) or my time in getting it to build.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:56 PM   #143
cszhy
cszhy began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
Hi buddy
Thanks for improving so many function in such a short time,
The problem I have now is can't find the ghostscript option in the new versions ,does it support that? thanks
Old 09-18-2007, 02:01 AM   #144
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You have a hacked version of pypdf that can read the toc catalog? If so can you send it to me: kovid _the usual email address separator_ kovidgoyal.net
I've already sent a patch to the pyPDF maintainer, which was accepted with some minor changes in the official repository.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:37 AM   #145
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Thanks.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:42 PM   #146
ereszet
Zealot

pdflrf command line DOS/Windows vs. Ubuntu speed comparison

Mobile Pentium 4, 2.8 Ghz, 512 Mb RAM

input files:
buba.djvu 1536 Kb
buba.pdf 13394 Kb (same book as buba.djvu - converted to pdf)

output DOS/Windows XP:
bubadjvu.lrf 8965 Kb - 285 seconds
bubapdf.lrf 9141 Kb - 590 seconds

output Ubuntu:
bubadjvu.lrf 8824 Kb - 208 seconds
bubapdf.lrf 16029 Kb - 950 seconds

Conclusions:
djvu to lrf - Ubuntu is faster
pdf to lrf - in both operating systems conversion is slower than djvu to lrf but DOS/Windows wins

My wild guess: the time critical step may be pdf to raster conversion; something is wrong with the pdflrf implementation in Ubuntu (warning messages - see my previous post).

The quality of all end results is perfect.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:13 PM   #147
cacapee
Connoisseur

Interesting experiment. However, all this seems to show is that pdf is not as great as djvu for image only documents. As you can see pdf size is around 10 times djvu document. the pdf rasterizing code should be the same on linux and windows.

I can turn ghostscript support back on. Why do you need it though?

Can one cross compile for OSX?
Old 09-19-2007, 12:29 AM   #148
cszhy
cszhy began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
Actually I need the ghost script support for converting some kind of Chinese text format Pdf files , I can do that in the elder versions very well
thanks for developing the greatest tool for Sony Reader user all over the world!!!
Old 09-19-2007, 03:56 AM   #149
adinb
RSS & Gadget Addict!
adinb is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-500, iPod Touch, iPhone
Quote:
Can one cross compile for OSX?
I don't think that's an option for any linux implementations of gcc, but stick to posix level compat and give me a working project/make directory & I'll muck with it until I get the project to build.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:52 AM   #150
godel10
Connoisseur
godel10 doesn't littergodel10 doesn't littergodel10 doesn't litter

Device: Sony Librie, Irex DR1000S
Compatibility issue with Sony Librie

I am the owner of a Sony Librie (not a Reader) and pdflrf has been wonderfully working with Librie until version 0.7.

The last version 0.8 does not work (neither the DOS one nor the Linux one), and I am wondering if anyone could know the reason why this compatibility has been lost. If it is possible I would like to ask the creator of pdfrlf to keep this compatibility issue.
Closed Thread