Notices

Old 03-22-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
StreetScooby
StreetScooby began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Problem with HTML converstion

I'm trying to grab a web page, and subsequent pages, from here:
http://download.oracle.com/javase/tu...out/index.html

The problem I'm having is with the Table of Contents (TOC). I'm using Scrapbook to grab the pages, and then Caliber to load it onto my Kindle. The result is shifted far to the right due to the TOC (I believe). Even though I "deactivate" the TOC while viewing the web page, it doesn't take effect.

Any ideas how I can resolve this? I don't want the TOC to show up in the converted MOBI/kindle document.

Thanks!
StreetScooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
It seems to me that you'd have to edit the HTML, and remove the parts that you don't want. Alignment may be due to an alignment tag in there somewhere. Should have nothing to do with a TOC.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
StreetScooby

The TOC is being managed by java script code. I thought of editting the HTML myself, but hoped there was a simpler method. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:37 PM   #4
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
http://web2fb2.net/

then delete the crap in Sigil before converting it to mobi.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #5
StreetScooby

I just sorted this. Had to edit the CSS style sheets for each page.
I'll give Sigil a try.
Thanks,
Advert
Old 03-22-2011, 05:26 PM   #6
StreetScooby

mr ploppy,
Does Sigil work for Kindle MOBI?
Not sure what I should be looking for here...
Thanks,
Old 03-22-2011, 06:11 PM   #7
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Sigil is designed for epub only.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:50 PM   #8
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
No, you need to edit it as an epub first, then convert it to mobi. They are both based around html so they convert pretty well. There isn't an editor for mobi, but you can extract the html with mobiunpack and edit that if you really want to. But converting it to epub and using Sigil is a lot easier.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:31 AM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
What I do with HTML files from Gutenberg is to load them into Sigil, remove their "Contents" links at the top (leaving the actual chapter links in the body of the text) and then after checking the TOC via the tools I save it as an epub and run that through Calibre. It takes a little while for each step, but it is worth the time in the end.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote