Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-21-2007, 12:16 PM   #76
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlkmnz View Post
Yup, I'm fully aware BD is gui. Its also buggy (under vista anyway) and has mixed results.
Heh, it could be Vista that's buggy -- it is a just-released M$ OS, after all, they have a reputation to uphold.

Quote:
Oh and whats that youve linked to? Ah, a guide on how to use the program I need to read to get decent results instead of the software being intuitive or simple enough not to require said guide.
Well, simple is difficult when you're doing complicated things, if you get too simple, then you lose a lot of flexibility ... but that discussion was last week.

I'd agree with you that BD has some room for improvement in the intuitive department, but I'm inclined to cut it some slack there, considering that the developer's native language is Russian, and I find it very easy to use (and very powerful) once I understood its quirks.

Besides, it really is mostly a matter of getting the initial settings arranged, and then it mostly runs itself. There are a few bits of proofing that need doing, true, but it gives you good tools for dealing with them, and it is fairly intuitive once you get to that stage.

However, if you don't find it suits you, then there's no reason you should use it. The suggestion was just an effort to be helpful, and if it doesn't work for you then it doesn't work for you. That's all there is to it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:25 PM   #77
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
BD is a very powerful tool, and it does take a little effort to get to know the best way to do things. Hence the Tutorial - an attempt to "short-cut" the learning curve and give other people the benefit of my experience.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2007, 12:35 PM   #78
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Heh, it could be Vista that's buggy -- it is a just-released M$ OS, after all, they have a reputation to uphold. ...
As I remember the urban legend, M$ ships a product when the bug reports drop under 100,000.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:43 PM   #79
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This is something I think most will find interesting.

Remember WindowsME? Well, I had spoken to some of the beta testers online after WinME was released. And they said that the last release candidate for WinME was more stable, less buggy, and more compatible then the released version.

Think that might have started a trend?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:19 AM   #80
mlkmnz
Enthusiast
mlkmnz began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To be honest about ABC Amber, I appreciate the effort put into them, but some of the conversion leave something to be desired. I don't like the LRF converter or the LIT converter. The LRF converted does not handle graphics and it loses the text style(s). The LIT converter screws up on italics and loses the space at the beginning of the italics. I think it was written based on CLIT 1.2 where as CLIT 1.8 fixes that bug.
Fortunately text styles dont overly concern me, what I like about it is you point to the file (or entire folder), choose destination and thats it, no dicking about required :P
mlkmnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2007, 09:24 AM   #81
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But you have a Sony Reader. So you won't need to convert from LRF.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:08 AM   #82
mlkmnz
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But you have a Sony Reader. So you won't need to convert from LRF.
Im talking about ABC converters in general, I've used them for a while now for other formats for other readers. If they had one to convert TO lrfs id be all over it....
Old 06-22-2007, 10:25 AM   #83
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Maybe LRF support will be added into the other converts. One can only hope.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:01 AM   #84
mlkmnz
Enthusiast

Well yeah, its just that after years of converting ebooks to different formats so easily, trying to do it for LRF files seems like a step back to the stone age. I guess thats the downside of what is probably a small userbase for the PRS500 - does anyone have any unit sales info for it?
Old 06-22-2007, 11:47 AM   #85
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Well yeah, its just that after years of converting ebooks to different formats so easily, trying to do it for LRF files seems like a step back to the stone age. I guess thats the downside of what is probably a small userbase for the PRS500 - does anyone have any unit sales info for it?
What you have to remember is that the BBeB (LRF) is a fairly new format. And given how new it is, we have some really nice tools for getting content in LRF format. I mean how long did it take for the tools you use now to be as polished as they are from once the ebook formts you convert from came out? So I'd say that we are quite lucky to have as good a set of tools as we do.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:01 AM   #86
aragon127
aragon127 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Is there a mirror for this? I'm trying to convert .lrf files to another format. The main download link ftp.telus.net has been down for a few weeks and I can't find another mirror.

Are there any other tools to convert from .lrf to html or anything?
aragon127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:05 AM   #87
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
libprs500 has an lrf to lrs converter. lrs is a simple XML layout format from which it should be trivial to convert to another format.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:37 AM   #88
aragon127
aragon127 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
libprs500 has an lrf to lrs converter. lrs is a simple XML layout format from which it should be trivial to convert to another format.
How? There doesn't appear to be an lrf2lrs command.
aragon127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:07 PM   #89
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
You can also open the LRF in ConnSoft and copy it out of the book viewer there -- it preserves most of the formatting as a bonus.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:07 PM   #90
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Oh it's in svn I haven't released it yet. It should be in the next release in a couple of days.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote