Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-01-2009, 04:54 AM   #31
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
I tried three methods:
1) Direct use of FBIO_DELTA_UPDATE_DISPLAY;
2) Use of erscribble (which uses FBIO_DELTA_UPDATE_DISPLAY) and;
3) Use of a label to force update

I have put all options in code, see scribble.c, which has the following comment that describes how to select a mode and what the current 'issues' are:
Code:
// Select only one of the following:
// USE_LL uses direct ioctl to update the complete screen
//   issues: every update takes very long ~1s, so when drawing a lot the screen can
//           not keep up
// USE_DRIVER uses the erscribble_driver functions from liberscribble.
//   issues: erscribble uses real screen coordinates while xournal has 'translated'
//           coordinates. The current code does not handle this, but it gives you an
//           impresison of what should be possible
//           Appart from the wrong positions, the reaction is also very slow, when drawing
//           quickly, the updates appear late.
// USE_LABEL uses a label widget to force a screen update
//   issues: the update will only happen when not touching the screen for ~2s.
All the modes have their own issues, so I attach my code (I use Anjuta) to allow more people to experiment.
Xournal is normally installed on the internal memory (not on SD) it takes some time to install it (you need an ipk file etc.). If you have already installed a version of xournal in your internal flash memory, then you can copy your experimental xournal version to SD, create a .desktop-file to point at it and run from SD. It will find the required resources(pixmaps) from internal flash. (Make sure you use --prefix=/usr/local when running configure!)

PS: All my changes as described earlier in this thread are also in the attachement.
PS2: make sure you install the libart-lgpl-2-2_2.3.20_arm.ipk and libgnomecanvas_2.14.0_arm.ipk in your Poky environment (Read the document it posted earlier!).
PS3: I would like a PS3 ;-)
PS4: When using USE_DRIVER you will not see anything in the emulator, only some error messages that the driver is not installed, this seems obvious since it would require emulating the wacom hardware.
Attached Files
File Type: gz xournal-0.4.2.1_scr.tar.gz (4.32 MB, 316 views)
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:03 PM   #32
Grimulkan
Lord
Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Q1 (on way out), PRS505, DR1000S (dead :<), TC1100 (10'' perfection!)
Thanks, will toy around.
Grimulkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:29 AM   #33
jbui
jbui began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
uninstall Xournal

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtterInanity View Post
Official xournal website

It took more than a week to finally get this working. Not that it was hard, in the end, but more because I didn't know what I was doing.

There are some problems, of course. One, the refresh is inconsistent. Two, don't click the "print" menu item. I took out all the printing code because a) it seemed useless and b) it required a bunch more libraries for something that wouldn't get used. I'll look at taking out the menu item, although I might look at how "Print to PDF" works, and putting it back in there. Seems like it would be useful, if it's possible to implement.

I haven't done a lot of testing so far, just enough to confirm that it runs. You, mobileread readers, are the guinea pigs for this experiment. Let me know what sorts of issues you run into and I'll try to fix them. Also, I see that iRex has posted some more comprehensive documentation, including putting icons in the taskbar and such, so I'll look into that.

Download: Here

Installation: Unzip to the root folder of the device. When you disconnect from the computer you'll find two new shortcuts on the Home screen: InstallXournal and Xournal. Run InstallXournal first. It should take 30 seconds or so. Then run Xournal and enjoy.
A simple question: Once installed Xournal is it possible to uninstall it?
jbui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:16 AM   #34
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbui View Post
A simple question: Once installed Xournal is it possible to uninstall it?
Install a new firmware version

To be serious, there is not yet a way to cleanly uninstall xournal and the extra libraries that are installed with it. The current installation is not overwriting anything (as far as I know), only adding stuff, so it should not make your DR instable.

I understood that the installation of a new firmware would clean the complete internal flash, that would thus include the libraries that are installed as part of the xournal installation. (It is not starting on my DR after the R1.6 upgrade, so that would support this theory.)

The (hobby) developers are currently focussing at creating/porting new programs not at removing them .... ;-)
Old 05-17-2009, 10:48 AM   #35
Grimulkan
Lord
Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
I tried three methods:
1) Direct use of FBIO_DELTA_UPDATE_DISPLAY;
2) Use of erscribble (which uses FBIO_DELTA_UPDATE_DISPLAY) and;
3) Use of a label to force update
Actually, erscribble uses FBIO_DELTA_DRAWMODE_PIXELS, which is vastly quicker because it only updates a single point on the screen. Method 3 is actually a special case of method 1, because you can choose the waveform to use (you used the full refresh waveform in your code, but you don't have to), so I won't comment on this.

Unfortunately, method 1 is just too slow to keep up, which makes sense because its actually updating the entire screen. Using special fast update waveforms, I was able to get the delay down to 0.5 seconds, which is still actually significant.

Here is how I have things now:
1. erscribble draws on the screen as you write, and the update is near instantaneous (same as UDS). You will need to adjust for the screen coordinates, which is easily done.
2. You do NOT update the screen with any other waveform, because this stops Xournal from recording your gestures during the update. This *should* not happen, maybe if we used a separate "refresh thread", this would work. When the screen does update (for whatever reason, eg., the user clicked the menu), the erscribble lines will disappear and be replaced by the actual lines on the canvas seamlessly. So no problems.

Right now, Xournal is responding beautifully to pen input There are still some bugs to work out, like the scribble driver playing "connect the dots" and stringing together everything I write (even though I reset the drawing context). I'll post the binary/code once I clean things up a bit.

Last edited by Grimulkan; 05-17-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:50 AM   #36
Grimulkan
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
I have found some time to document the steps I took to make my patches to the original port.
[...]
Please give me your comments, specially if things are missing or wrong.
Great job! Some comments:
1. Part 1, Step 2a:
Code:
2a) install libart in the development environment:
sudo 'LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/poky/eabi-glibc/arm/lib /usr/local/poky/eabi-glibc/arm/bin/opkg-cl -f /usr/local/poky/eabi-glibc/arm/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/etc/opkg.conf -o /usr/local/poky/eabi-glibc/arm/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi  install libart-lgpl-2.3.20_2.3_arm.ipk
Do you have an extra symbol in the install command? In any case, I was able to install using opkg-target in Adam's VMWare environment (upgraded to 1.5 SDK), without using sudo. I did use chmod to set the execute permissions, though.

I also ran into an additional pitfall: opkg-cl was looking for libldap_r.so..., while I had libldap_r-<version#>.so..., so that had to be fixed by proper redirection (or use sudo cp to make a copy of the library in /usr/lib with the right name).

2. Part 4, Step 1d:
Code:
1d) copy ipkg-build.sh
Get ipkg_build.sh (e.g. from http://www.oesf.org/howto/downloads/ipkg-build.sh) and copy it into your /usr/bin folder. Make sure that the execution rights are ok.
For more info on ipkg files see: http://www.atack.cz/roman/zaurus/doc/ipkg_howto.html
That version asked me to include a "Section" field in the CONTROL file. You might want to add that to Step 3a.

Last edited by Grimulkan; 05-18-2009 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Fixed typo in filename
Old 05-17-2009, 11:26 AM   #37
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimulkan View Post
Right now, Xournal is responding beautifully to pen input There are still some bugs to work out, like the scribble driver playing "connect the dots" and stringing together everything I write (even though I reset the drawing context). I'll post the binary/code once I clean things up a bit.
Great!

I remember that I also had such a problem with connecting the dots. In my case I did not ignore the mouse-move events that come-in before the button-press (and after release). Maybe your problem is related to that.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:34 AM   #38
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Great job! Some comments:
1. Part 1, Step 2a:
Code:
2a) install libart in the development environment:
sudo 'LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/poky/eabi-glibc/arm/lib /usr/local/poky/eabi-glibc/arm/bin/opkg-cl -f /usr/local/poky/eabi-glibc/arm/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/etc/opkg.conf -o /usr/local/poky/eabi-glibc/arm/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi  install libart-lgpl-2.3.20_2.3_arm.ipk
Do you have an extra symbol in the install command? In any case, I was able to install using opkg-target in Adam's VMWare environment (upgraded to 1.5 SDK), without using sudo. I did use chmod to set the execute permissions, though.
Yes you spotted two problems. One: There is an extra quote ' in the beginning of the line. The original problem is that I forgot to 'chown' the library directories (as clearly explained in the iRex development manual) after I updated to R1.5. This would have allowed me to use opkg-target I guess.

Quote:
I also ran into an additional pitfall: opkg-cl was looking for libldap_r.so, while I had liblad_2-<version>.so, so that had to be fixed by proper redirection (or use sudo cp to make a copy of the library in /usr/lib with the right name).
I might have forgotten about this step ...

Quote:
2. Part 4, Step 1d:
Code:
1d) copy ipkg-build.sh
Get ipkg_build.sh (e.g. from http://www.oesf.org/howto/downloads/ipkg-build.sh) and copy it into your /usr/bin folder. Make sure that the execution rights are ok.
For more info on ipkg files see: http://www.atack.cz/roman/zaurus/doc/ipkg_howto.html
That version asked me to include a "Section" field in the CONTROL file. You might want to add that to Step 3a.
Thanks for the comments, I have updated the 'Port Xournal.txt' document in the original post.

Last edited by Mackx; 05-17-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:25 PM   #39
Grimulkan
Lord

Here is a build to play with, if anyone is interested. Unzip xournal_0.4.2.1_arm.ipk and replace the one in the Programs/_install directory in the original port, copy to your SD card root, and run the installXournal shortcut on the DR. Run the xournal shortcut to start. Have fun

Despite what you may read below, the response and usability is really great, so give it a shot. I'll post the code soon once I address some of these bugs (at least bug #1).

Bugs:

1. Sometimes, the draw buffer overloads and lags behind your writing. Work around: Create a new file, File->New.
2. GTK+ automatically refreshes when the user is still writing, causing Xournal to stop paying attention to pen input (especially for the first stroke when you start Xournal). Possible solution: Do refresh/updates on a separate thread. Still working on it. For now, stop writing when you see the screen flicker for an update, or deal with pen input going blind for a second.
3. I have only tried this ONLY with the black pen/stroke tool, and not the other tools. But if this works right, extending it to the other tools will be easy.
4. You can scribble outside the canvas area (and see the scribbles), although Xournal will not record it. Easily fixable, but I am looking at fixing the response etc. for now. Just remember that scribbling outside the page doesn't count (duh).
5. Random hangs. No idea why, requires reset.

Edit: I also noticed that for some reason I can't scribble on anything other than the first page. Thats a high priority bug for sure.
Attached Files
File Type: zip [Test]xournal_0.4.2.1_arm.ipk.zip (341.6 KB, 353 views)

Last edited by Grimulkan; 05-18-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:52 AM   #40
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Thanks, As a user, xjournal is now working quite well as a note taker.
It is a pity you cannot export as a pdf.

The Pen always writes with the same "thickness" and the lines drawn/written only change on screen refresh. It would be nice if the pen size changes when you choose so that you get some feedback.

Also, I tried using the rule, or should I say, I chose the ruler, something distracted me and I then continued to write. On the display this is fine until it refreshes, at which point all your writing then changes to small line, like runes. It took me ages to work out why some of my notes were "written" and some were useless bits of lines". I don't know if this is a "feature or not" but it would be useful to have some form of obvious clue that you haven't actually chosen stylus.

The writing though and the refresh keeps up very well, certainly at least as fast as my writing can cope with. I'll maybee try a few pages worth next to check that out.

Thanks again everyone
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:31 AM   #41
Grimulkan
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
[...] It is a pity you cannot export as a pdf.
Yet
Quote:
[...] The Pen always writes with the same "thickness" and the lines drawn/written only change on screen refresh. It would be nice if the pen size changes when you choose so that you get some feedback.
This is easy to implement (to some extent). For this build, we were concentrating on getting the feedback responsive enough though. There are still some bugs to squash regarding that.
Quote:
[...] Also, I tried using the rule, or should I say, I chose the ruler, something distracted me and I then continued to write.
I haven't looked into how the non-pen tools work yet, but again, this is an easy fix.

Last edited by Grimulkan; 05-18-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:31 AM   #42
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Another thought. Could the Content Browser be updated to acknowledge Xournal files? It would be great to be just able to open the saved files directly rather than troll through the File Open menu.

For some reason, the menus appear very slow to respond, and "miss" the stylus, ie pick the wrong part of the menu. It only happens in the menus, other than that it is working very nicely.

I have noticed, that if you have a file open (not saved) and you use the DR Menu to return to the folders to say open another document, if you then try starting teh xournal from it's shortcut (icon) a box opens stating you cannot open it and to try re-installing. This is because it is sitting open. If you do go into the DR Menu and click on it there, it will re-open where you left off. What I haven't seen though, is if you have opened more than say 5 other files so that it drops off the DR Menu, what happens then.

Well, I can tell you now You have to switch off, lose hat you were doing & then it's okay.
So, make sure you save before opening anything else.

Last edited by pthwaite; 05-19-2009 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Testing
Old 05-19-2009, 10:35 AM   #43
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
I have been using the next to last update of Xournal for several weeks now and have grown quite accustomed to it. The delay in refreshing the pen strokes is workable. I will try the latest update soon. Many thanks to those who have worked in porting this utility to the DR. IMHO, iRex should make incorporating this utility into DR's OS a priority.

td
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:37 AM   #44
Grimulkan
Lord

Quote:
Another thought. Could the Content Browser be updated to acknowledge Xournal files?
Easily done once iRex releases the 1.6 source (people who have been around a while, how long does iRex usually take to do this?). Once we have more applications, we'll probably need a hack to let the user pick file associations, rather than the "hard" associations for FBReader.

Quote:
[...] For some reason, the menus appear very slow to respond, and "miss" the stylus, ie pick the wrong part of the menu. It only happens in the menus, other than that it is working very nicely.
IMHO, this is because the menus are close to the edge of the screen, and Wacom insists that there is a rift in space-time there . The slow response, I think, is because of the strange way the refresh hooks are built into GTK+ by iRex. They work, more or less, but these apps are just not optimized for an e-ink screen.

Quote:
[...] What I haven't seen though, is if you have opened more than say 5 other files so that it drops off the DR Menu, what happens then.
Interesting, I am not sure what the DR does to applications that are unfortunate enough to have started 5 documents ago.

BTW, if you can get a Xournal build for your OS on the PC, you can open the files there and convert to PDF - no need to struggle with the scribble merger application and you have line style options, text annotations and color
Old 05-19-2009, 12:39 PM   #45
pthwaite
Fanatic

Grimulkan,
Thanks, I've been to Xournal's site but I have a Mac and they don't do a Mac version

I assumed the haphazard menu location was that well known "feature" of the DR's calibration, it is far better in the xournal working space than some writepads though. Why can't iRex sort this out, oh well.

cheers, Howard