Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-18-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
mlknack
mlknack began at the beginning.

Device: jetBook, NookColor
new Ectaco jetBook owner

While we are all aware of Mr Wolf's extreme dislike of Ectaco, I want to say that, after a hands on examination of the jetBook and the two Sony's, I chose the jetBook. I have no intention of **ever** buying a DRM ebook so that was not an issue for me. Once support for epub & prc was announced, the decision came down to price, speed of page turn, and readability. With the jetBook selling at newegg.com for $199 US, it was a no-brainer.

Once I had it in my hot little hands, I immediately updated the firmware with the beta v30e version, put some epub & prc books on my 1GB SD card, and started reading. A week later I'm very happy with it. Yes, there are beta version glitches in the code, and the User's Guide is a joke (most are these days), but I'm happily reading away.

Now we just need our own jetBook forum or, at the very least, an "Other" category under the "eBook Devices" section. This is a dedicated eBook reader and I never think of looking for it under "other portable devices".

No, this is not a reader for the computer illiterate who wants the latest bestseller - but most of us reading this forum don't fall into that category.

Mary Lou
mlknack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:42 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Congrats on your new device. Glad you like it. As a matter of fact in my review I said that for less than $200 this would be a very good choice... especially for those that want a second more portable device.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Thank you for your comments, Mary. You are not alone on this forum who likes jetBook.
I remember that we (jetBook owners) asked moderators about jetBook forum several times in the past but unfortunately no results yet
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:30 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknack View Post
Now we just need our own jetBook forum or, at the very least, an "Other" category under the "eBook Devices" section.
A search for jetbook returns 159 threads. Not all of these should be in a jetBook forum, but there do seem to be enough relevant threads. Note that a readius search returns 24 threads and starebook returns 129 threads. Either a jetBook forum or an Other forum that includes jetBook, STAReBOOK and Readius would make sense to me.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:31 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Wonderful! It's good to read that you are happy with your Jetbook. What have you read so far?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2009, 08:32 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I do agree that a Jetbook forum would be a good idea.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:39 PM   #7
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I agree; especially since it's becoming much more widely available. I think it's the best LCD dedicated reader currently available, and the new firmware really helps. At $299 it just wasn't compelling with a smaller screen, shorter battery life, and worse format support than the Sony. Now the format support has improved (DRM may not be an issue but supporting ebook formats is) and the price has dropped to the $199 range at many locations.

Under those parameters it's a very good device.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:14 AM   #8
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Yeah the lack of support to DRM'ed books is the one of the only reasons I would not buy the Jetbook. Although I don't really like the idea of DRM, all the new books and bestsellers have them and that's just the way it is. I like too many Bestsellers and newer books, and having a reader that doesn't support DRM would defeat the purpose of ME even having an ereader.

I want to emphasize that this is just MY opinion. For someone who doesn't read bestsellers, then it sounds like it's a great reader. s
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:36 AM   #9
rijker
curiouser and curiouser
rijker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rijker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rijker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rijker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX, K1,K2, iTouch 16gb
Congrats on the new Jetbook! I just picked one up today at Fry's for $179! My Sony Reader recently died of a broken screen. I was hesitant to get a non-e-ink device but one look at the Jetbook screen sold me immediately. It is *great*! Love the clarity, quick refresh and simple folder layout. Unfortunately, my firmware upgrade is not going well despite following all instructions... I keep getting a "firmware upgrade failed" screen. I do the reset, press all the right buttons etc. but keep getting this - has anyone had similar issues? I *really* want to upgrade to utilize the other file formats. Help!

Can't wait until we get a forum subgroup of our own! The Jetbook has truly been a very pleasant surprise.
rijker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:25 PM   #10
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijker View Post
Congrats on the new Jetbook! I just picked one up today at Fry's for $179! My Sony Reader recently died of a broken screen. I was hesitant to get a non-e-ink device but one look at the Jetbook screen sold me immediately. It is *great*! Love the clarity, quick refresh and simple folder layout. Unfortunately, my firmware upgrade is not going well despite following all instructions... I keep getting a "firmware upgrade failed" screen. I do the reset, press all the right buttons etc. but keep getting this - has anyone had similar issues? I *really* want to upgrade to utilize the other file formats. Help!

Can't wait until we get a forum subgroup of our own! The Jetbook has truly been a very pleasant surprise.
Hi rijker! This is good to know that you like your jetBook too.
I know that BB&B has new upgraded version but Fry's still keep old version

Make sure that you charged jetBook before make upgrade. You can also read Ectaco forum that can reply on your question about upgrade:
http://www.ectaco.com/ectaco-posts/list/15212.page
or send e-mail to jetBook support (they usually reply on e-mails pretty fast) Good luck!
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:15 AM   #11
mlknack
mlknack began at the beginning.

Device: jetBook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
... What have you read so far?
I started with Andre Norton's "Time Traders/Galactic Derelict" (Baen Free Library). I *loved* the Norton stuff when I first read it back in the '60s. I can't recommend it as great literature, but it was a great memory lane reread. I'm currently about halfway through The Three Musketeers, another one I read way back when. I'm also finishing off a Taylor Caldwell pBook I had started before getting the reader, "Tender Victory". Next may either be the recent freebie "Funny in Farsi" or another pBook that was recently given to me "Sex Lives of Cannibals".

In the last several years I've usually shopped used book stores or library sales to get my reading material, so I'm used to a random collection of oldies. I also like rereading books I've enjoyed in the past. I'm one of those people who read for characterization rather than plot. Don't get me wrong - a good plot is great, but it doesn't matter to me if I know the ending.

With the eBook reader I can now save my precious shelf space for the must haves (Terry Pratchett, Lois Bujold McMasters) and whomever else I *must* have and can't get on eBook.

Mary Lou
mlknack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:30 AM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
With the eBook reader I can now save my precious shelf space for the must haves (Terry Pratchett, Lois Bujold McMasters) and whomever else I *must* have and can't get on eBook.
Don't forget that Baen Webscriptions is DRM-free and offers many Lois McMaster Bujold titles.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:33 AM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
[...] getting the reader, "Tender Victory". Next may either be the recent freebie "Funny in Farsi" or another pBook that was recently given to me "Sex Lives of Cannibals".

Mary Lou
Thanks for those 2 title suggestions! I've got to see if they are available as ebooks, because, well, I find cannibalism hilarious. (See my many jokes in the llounge for reference)

You shouldn't have any trouble getting Pratchett or McMasters electronically. They are available everywhere.

I was home last week recovering from surgery and was able to do a lot of reading. In fact, I fniished off everything in my To Be Read list! Had to actually buy and download some books yesterday. Weird, but I'm so accustomed now to always having plenty of reading material that I sort of almost panicked when I finished the last one off and deleted it, and then realized that there weren't anymore to read. Except, of course, I could re-read any of the hundreds on my computer. It was just a momentary knee-jerk reaction to suddenly not having anything but a blank screen on my reader TOC.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:43 AM   #14
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Congrats on the Jetbook purchase! I have one and I really like it.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:58 PM   #15
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
DG, here is the link to Funny in Farsi http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/...90&source=link from MR posted by candytx https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44106 It is hilarious
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote