Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-30-2013, 09:01 AM   #46
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I wonder if Barnes and Noble have removed the SD card to stop people buying and loading their own books on it, thinking they can force readers to buy from them if the device has more storage dedicated to Nook purchases than to side loaded content.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #47
domani7
Enthusiast
domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: nook
I am beyond horrified that it's missing page turn buttons. Time to stock up on the nook simple touch!
domani7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #48
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Looks like I'm the only one different. I love the color and I won't miss the page buttons or the sd card. I won't carry more than 2,000 books on my reader at any time.

If you read the press release it specifically mentions side loaded epub and pdf, so yes, they realize you will be buying books elsewhere.

Sony leaves me no choice, this will be my new reader. Since I have Barnes and Noble membership, I saved 10%. I did not order a cover. I don't hold my devices with a cover on them.

I can't deal with the frustration from my Kobo Glo, so this will be a welcomed change.

Last edited by mycurlylocks; 10-30-2013 at 09:32 AM.
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:31 AM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycurlylocks View Post
Looks like I'm the only one different. I love the color and I won't miss the page buttons or the sd card. I won't carry more than 2,000 books on my reader at any time.
You'll get nowhere near 2000 books in 500MB - probably around 700 if they're normal sized novels. Or have you bought most of your books from B&N?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #50
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I have bought most of my books from B & N, but I don't usually load the books from the B & N site. I side load the liberated copies instead.

It's rare that I keep more than 100 books on my reader at a time. I just want a variety on the reader, so I can read to suit my moods, but I don't need a lot of books on it.
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:41 AM   #51
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You'll get nowhere near 2000 books in 500MB - probably around 700 if they're normal sized novels. Or have you bought most of your books from B&N?
Shouldnt 700 books be enough for anyone though?? I also one of the few here who like the look of this reader and do not think page turn buttons or an sd card slot should matter any longer. I am sure they left those two out to keep price down. I also love the white bezel. I see no difference in reading on a black or white device. I am sure they will.come in black eventually.

I think many here are being wayyyy to hard on this device.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #52
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Shouldnt 700 books be enough for anyone though??
It would be enough for me, certainly. The only reason I mentioned the figure was that the person to whom I was replying said that they wouldn't want more than 2000 books, and I was merely pointing out that you won't get 2000 books into the 500MB of "open" storage.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #53
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I wonder if Barnes and Noble have removed the SD card to stop people buying and loading their own books on it, thinking they can force readers to buy from them if the device has more storage dedicated to Nook purchases than to side loaded content.
Of course. They want to be in control of their devices, hence the lock down on everything. They only opened up the HD's to google play because they were sitting on millions of unsold units.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:53 AM   #54
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Of course. They want to be in control of their devices, hence the lock down on everything. They only opened up the HD's to google play because they were sitting on millions of unsold units.
I wonder how many of these they will be sitting on unsold after Christmas.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I am going to have to call BS on that statement since many, but not all, paperback books are in aspect ratios similar to HD screens. I have a stack of paperbacks right here in front of me to back up my statement.
Yes, this is true, but that's just not natural and those paperback books were designed not to be better, but to be more expensive. They feel odd because they are an odd shape for a book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #56
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
I wonder how many of these they will be sitting on unsold after Christmas.
I will bet less than you think. This device is not nearly the travesty you all are making it. At only $20 more than the previous version i bet it does fairly well. It looks like a solid device and early review seem to agree. The average consumer do not get as nitpicky as many here you have to remenber. They just want a solid device to read on.

Last edited by Tony1988; 10-30-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:19 AM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm just going to wait and see how the nook HD does in terms of rooting and repartitioning. Also, I'm going to wait and see how Kobo does with Firmware 2.10 and see if it can still be patched.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #58
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
I just want to be able to buy an ereader and know I'll get what's advertised. I don't want this circus we have to go through to get a decent device.
The answer to that seems to be to wait for at least a few months after release date before you buy it, because by then the initial quality control problems will possibly have been fixed. Both the Kobo Glo and the Paperwhite are good examples. Kobo did something to fix the blue tinge the Glo had to start with, and if you bought the PW sometime this year instead of when it was first released in 2012, you were far less likely to get a blotchy one.

I'm planning on upgrading as a birthday present next month, but I'll probably only try for one replacement if it's "not as advertised", then just get a refund and try again sometime next year.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:45 AM   #59
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
The answer to that seems to be to wait for at least a few months after release date before you buy it, because by then the initial quality control problems will possibly have been fixed. Both the Kobo Glo and the Paperwhite are good examples. Kobo did something to fix the blue tinge the Glo had to start with, and if you bought the PW sometime this year instead of when it was first released in 2012, you were far less likely to get a blotchy one.

I'm planning on upgrading as a birthday present next month, but I'll probably only try for one replacement if it's "not as advertised", then just get a refund and try again sometime next year.
Yes you're right. My lovely PW1 is the replacement I received this August, and hubby's in March was much better than my first two. It's just sad that we basicly have to upgrade almost a year behind the new releases.

Anyway I'm glad I got my PW1 replaced in August as its going to last me at least another year now.

As for the new Nook. All I wanted was the SD slot......
Old 10-30-2013, 10:50 AM   #60
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
I just hope this doesn't take their ebook store down with it when it crashes and burns, since I still prefer to buy my books there.
I am sure that's all B&N cares about. They probably make almost nothing on the hardware, that's why they are obviously cost-cutting. The ebook store is a pure money making operation, so neither B&N nor Sony will close it in the near future. As long as the companies are still around, they will continue pushing the content onto you. They'll be just as happy if you read the books you bought from them on your phone, or a kobo, or even on a kindle.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote