Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #31
Redjack443
Redjack443 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Redjack443 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Redjack443 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Redjack443 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Redjack443 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Redjack443 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Redjack443 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Redjack443 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Redjack443 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Redjack443 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Redjack443 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Mini
Really liking v5, but I do have some questions.
First, what are the names for all the built-in menu options? app_pictures doesn't work, nor does app_periodicals.
Secondly, The categories for the second page don't appear in the same order as in the config-file.
Third, is there a way to reload the configuration without killing the app from the settings menu?
Fourth, it appears that the home app loads the default Sony menu after a reboot. It says (and shows) recently read on the first page, but all the buttons are default, and the third page doesn't work.

Update issue 1: I've figured out app_picture, app_periodical and app_allnote. In the default config-file it says app_allnotes which doesn't work.
Update issue 4: It appears starting the device with another launcher and then opening the modified homescreen later solves the fourth issue.

Last edited by Redjack443; 01-13-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #32
Morkl
Connoisseur
Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupor View Post
In ContentManager each activity has its own launchBook method with slightly different bodies - which totals 5

By the way settings module remembers path to the last book it used to setup standby screen - so it should be safe to call it multiple times for the same book.

So after last reading time is properly set - you just need to do

Intent intent = new Intent("android.intent.action.book_selected");
sendBroadcast(intent);

to update standby picture from home page.
Great! Adding it to the launchBook method in the home screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0534ng31 View Post
There is no v5 link in the first post
Fixed! Also: v6!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redjack443 View Post
Really liking v5, but I do have some questions.
First, what are the names for all the built-in menu options? app_pictures doesn't work, nor does app_periodicals.
Secondly, The categories for the second page don't appear in the same order as in the config-file.
Third, is there a way to reload the configuration without killing the app from the settings menu?
Fourth, it appears that the home app loads the default Sony menu after a reboot. It says (and shows) recently read on the first page, but all the buttons are default, and the third page doesn't work.

Update issue 1: I've figured out app_picture, app_periodical and app_allnote. In the default config-file it says app_allnotes which doesn't work.
Update issue 4: It appears starting the device with another launcher and then opening the modified homescreen later solves the fourth issue.
1: These should be all. Adding the list to a comment in the default config.
  • app_allbook
  • app_allnote
  • app_audio
  • app_collection
  • app_dictionary
  • app_googlebook
  • app_handwriting
  • app_library
  • app_periodical
  • app_periodical_reference
  • app_picture
  • app_store
  • app_textmemo
  • app_thirdstore
  • app_webbrowser

2: Category order has been fixed.

3: New feature: Long press on back button in home screen triggers reload of configuration.

4: I haven't been able to reproduce, but when unable to read or parse the configuration file it uses the Sony stock app lists. Reloading the configuration as per point 3 should help when this happens.

New release, V6 (I have to come up with a new version numbering scheme): http://morkl.se/reader/homemod_v6.zip
Old 01-13-2012, 09:18 PM   #33
Morkl
Connoisseur
Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.

Rupor, what are your intentions and goals with the modifications?

I've been thinking about what you said earlier about combining our efforts, and I think that might be a good idea, to avoid incompatible mods and to avoid wasting time fixing things twice. What did you have in mind, more specifically?

I've only been working on EbookHome till now but am open to expanding my focus to pretty much anything that might need work. I think the next thing I'll do is take a look at EbookReader and see if I can do anything about the fonts.

Cheers!
Old 01-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #34
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindles, Pixels, iPads
Morkl, great!

So far I've been concentrating on Content Manager - making sure that there is a complete FB2 support. I also touched Home Page - but only slightly. Your work definitely covers it

FB2 support is pretty much done now, starting with build 3.0.55-7 CoolReader properly supports the device (last reading time and standby screen) and porkupan is looking at FB2Reader.

I was going to continue with Content Manager - expanding the way collections are working. Something along the way of collection manager for previous Sony readers - only inside the device. Main idea is to have a set of "automatic" collections (in addition to manually created ones) with collection names derived from the names of directories where books are located. This has been working great for years on old Sony devices and allows one to forgo Calibre or Reader PC in almost all of the cases. In order to properly support this I will have to touch EbookSetting a bit - expanding set of available settings.

By no means I am planning to produce anything which is not compatible with the way current software works, so (at least in theory) we would be fully compatible

Are you planning to publish your code somewhere or you prefer to keep it closed?

Almost forgot to ask: what's wrong with fonts in the stock reader?

Last edited by rupor; 01-13-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:09 AM   #35
soseono
Connoisseur
soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle 4, Sony PRS-T1 (formerly PRS-500 & 505), iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkl View Post
I think the next thing I'll do is take a look at EbookReader and see if I can do anything about the fonts.
Can't wait!!!

Quote:
I'm thinking this: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=164510

I'm happy with the Sony default reader app except that I can't change the font to something else while retaining the bold/italics formatting... and if I can define a custom font other than the built-in selections, and change line-height as well (some fonts look better with different line-height settings), it'd be awesome.

Last edited by soseono; 01-14-2012 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:22 AM   #36
Redjack443
Redjack443 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Redjack443 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Redjack443 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Redjack443 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Redjack443 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Redjack443 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Redjack443 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Redjack443 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Redjack443 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Redjack443 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Redjack443 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Mini
The startup thing only happens if I set the modified homescreen to default and then restart. If I clear the defaults and choose one on boot, it doesn't happen. Maybe it tries to read /sdcard before it's mounted?
Old 01-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #37
NoGood
NoGood began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600 \ T1
Thanks Morkl for your work on changing the default homescreen. I like SonyPrsT1Home but the Sony home screen + your additions appeals more to me.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #38
Morkl
Connoisseur

Quote:
Morkl, great!

So far I've been concentrating on Content Manager - making sure that there is a complete FB2 support. I also touched Home Page - but only slightly. Your work definitely covers it

FB2 support is pretty much done now, starting with build 3.0.55-7 CoolReader properly supports the device (last reading time and standby screen) and porkupan is looking at FB2Reader.

I was going to continue with Content Manager - expanding the way collections are working. Something along the way of collection manager for previous Sony readers - only inside the device. Main idea is to have a set of "automatic" collections (in addition to manually created ones) with collection names derived from the names of directories where books are located. This has been working great for years on old Sony devices and allows one to forgo Calibre or Reader PC in almost all of the cases. In order to properly support this I will have to touch EbookSetting a bit - expanding set of available settings.

By no means I am planning to produce anything which is not compatible with the way current software works, so (at least in theory) we would be fully compatible

Are you planning to publish your code somewhere or you prefer to keep it closed?

Sounds great! Folder baser collections would be a great improvement.

I don't mind publishing my code at all. A revision control system might be nice, to keep track of the changes in the smali code. I'm wondering about the legal bits with publishing Sony's code though. I see no real problems posting an APK since you have to buy a PRS-T1 to use it anyway, but posting the disassembled code listings is kind of moving into a grey zone. Thoughts on this?

Lastly, as soseono writes, some people want to be able to use custom fonts. Also: italics/bold doesn't work with the internal font selector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redjack443 View Post
The startup thing only happens if I set the modified homescreen to default and then restart. If I clear the defaults and choose one on boot, it doesn't happen. Maybe it tries to read /sdcard before it's mounted?
I'm thinking the same; I guess reloading the configuration when /sdcard is mounted might be a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soseono View Post
Can't wait!!!

I'm thinking this: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=164510

I'm happy with the Sony default reader app except that I can't change the font to something else while retaining the bold/italics formatting... and if I can define a custom font other than the built-in selections, and change line-height as well (some fonts look better with different line-height settings), it'd be awesome.
I found the bits that break bold/italics (basically the small-caps @font-face definitions break things, I posted about it in the thread you linked).
Here is a EbookReader.apk with the small-caps rows removed: http://morkl.se/reader/readermod_v1.zip (installs like a regular app)
I tried it with a sample book with bold, italics and bold+italics and it all seemed to work.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:03 AM   #39
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
I don't mind publishing my code at all. A revision control system might be nice, to keep track of the changes in the smali code. I'm wondering about the legal bits with publishing Sony's code though. I see no real problems posting an APK since you have to buy a PRS-T1 to use it anyway, but posting the disassembled code listings is kind of moving into a grey zone. Thoughts on this?
I thought about it and decided that keeping proper .smali for Sony modules would be a bit too much However I like using version control and keeping history remote is a nice backup strategy. Plus whatever is done could be useful for other people and will allow us to move forward faster. As the result I came out with the idea of putting unified diffs in the version control - very rough project page is here.

Take a look at version control trunk/packages make_diff.cmd - I am sure you would understand what I'm talking about. If you want I could create similar branch for you (or you could open your own project).
Old 01-15-2012, 07:37 AM   #40
Morkl
Connoisseur

Quote:
I thought about it and decided that keeping proper .smali for Sony modules would be a bit too much However I like using version control and keeping history remote is a nice backup strategy. Plus whatever is done could be useful for other people and will allow us to move forward faster. As the result I came out with the idea of putting unified diffs in the version control - very rough project page is here.

Take a look at version control trunk/packages make_diff.cmd - I am sure you would understand what I'm talking about. If you want I could create similar branch for you (or you could open your own project).
I was thinking about trying to set up a server so that only the patches are served, but keeping the patches themselves under source controls seems a lot easier, and does the job just as well!

It would be great if you would create a branch for me
Old 01-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #41
rupor
meat popsicle

Quote:
It would be great if you would create a branch for me
You need an account on SourceForge - send it (PM it) to me and I will setup a branch, something like prsT1/1.0.03.11140_Morkl for you and will create release directory for binaries). It will be under you full control.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:34 AM   #42
Morkl
Connoisseur

Quote:
You need an account on SourceForge - send it (PM it) to me and I will setup a branch, something like prsT1/1.0.03.11140_Morkl for you and will create release directory for binaries). It will be under you full control.
Alrighty; PM sent
Old 01-16-2012, 05:53 AM   #43
bardo
bardo will become famous soon enoughbardo will become famous soon enoughbardo will become famous soon enoughbardo will become famous soon enoughbardo will become famous soon enoughbardo will become famous soon enough

>Does anyone else have any requests, irks or other ideas about how to make the stock home screen better?

- I would like to have an easy access to dictionaries or even offline Wikipedias like WikiDroyd or Aard. Could be a link or even an input field.

- A defaults manager, selecting the stock reader or coolreader, same for audio: stock or Mortplayer Audio Books, maybe MIME-based.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:38 AM   #44
ewandeep
Zealot
ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony PRS-T1 Sony PRS-350 Nook Touch Glow
Sorry for the stupid question, but How may I find the right componentname, intentaction and intentcategory for other applications I installed on the Sony prs-t1?

See the example:

<customAppDefinition name="app_rootexplorer" title="Root Explorer">
<iconNormal>ic_rootexplorer.png</iconNormal>
<iconPressed>ic_rootexplorer_pressed.png</iconPressed>
<componentName package="com.speedsoftware.rootexplorer" class="com.speedsoftware.rootexplorer.RootExplorer " />
<intentAction>android.intent.action.MAIN</intentAction>
<intentCategory>android.intent.category.LAUNCHER </intentCategory>

Last edited by ewandeep; 01-16-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #45
rupor
meat popsicle

Quote:
Alrighty; PM sent
Done!
Closed Thread