Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-26-2011, 01:37 AM   #16
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
Ok that's fixed the font embed, which validates...

What does this file do... I had to remove it to validate the epub

<item href="META-INF/com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml" id="caido" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:18 AM   #17
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjust View Post
Ok that's fixed the font embed, which validates...

What does this file do... I had to remove it to validate the epub

<item href="META-INF/com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml" id="caido" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
The latest epubcheck (v 1.2) doesn't produce an error if that file is present. It's certainly non-standard, and was introduced by Apple for their 'Fixed-Layout' nonsense. You don't really need it, since the default fonts in iBooks have a pretty wide glyph set, but it can be used to force iBooks to respect the fonts that are embedded, see http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/20...phone-and.html .
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:36 AM   #18
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD!
The snag I keep running into is that I want to encrypt the font, to help keep me from embedding a font that is usable outside of the epub, being ever-so-slightly closer to license compliance.
I haven't heard of a case of an epub with an encrypted embedded font which is tagged as "Print and Preview" and still illegal. Has that hit the courts yet? That's how embedded-font pdfs get away with it - the font is unusable if extracted. Yeah-yeah, I know, better safe than stupid, but still...
I've been using the Adobe encryption scheme, which isn't the "official" scheme put forth by the epub committee.
So, does Apple allow for encrypted fonts? ('cause I still can't get that to validate).
And has anybody gotten the blessed encryption scheme to work anywhere?
brewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:27 PM   #19
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Adobe's scheme only produces a warning in epubcheck, so the book still validates. But you can be sure that iBooks won't recognise that method, so you'll need two versions of the file. I suspect that the iTunes store's DRM might cover the fonts as well, but you'd have to check that.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #20
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
"surely you can't be serious"

So ePubCheck, no matter what, simply doesn't validate embedded fonts?

Yet the ereading devices can access them fine?

Does Kindle recognise embedded fonts? because this will be converted to .mobi as well?

TBH I keep banging my head against my desk in disbelieving that although the IDPF is supposed to be the "industry standard" which all the major players are members of, and I'm assuming all sit around in their ivory tower...

Yet they ignore everything and do what they want and we're stuck here picking up the pieces...
I feel your pain, mate.

You see, Apple got beaten over the head so badly with the MS "embrace and extend" tactic that it decided to adopt it. It has been posted many times before, but if you go back and watch carefully that ground-breaking Apple "1984" Superbowl ad, you will see that today, the roles have been precisely reversed. "We have met the enemy, and they are us." -- berkekey breathed, "Bloom County," way back then.

(pedantic note inserted: the original "walled garden" enemy was IBM. not Microsoft. And the bra-less hammer-thrower is now not Apple, but ::cough:: linux ::cough:: )

So, sadly, mate, he's very serious.

Now, as to whether Kindle (mobipocket) respects embedded fonts, I don't know. I suspect not, but I would love to see a definitive answer.

Albert

Last edited by st_albert; 07-26-2011 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Dang typos! Dang them to h311!
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:11 PM   #21
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
mobi format (and azw format) do not have any provision for embedded fonts. The Topaz format can "sort-of" embed fonts, but only Amazon can make a Topaz file.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:37 PM   #22
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
mobi format (and azw format) do not have any provision for embedded fonts. The Topaz format can "sort-of" embed fonts, but only Amazon can make a Topaz file.
Thanks for the confirmation. That's what I thought might be the case.

Albert
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:49 PM   #23
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Dammit...

I guess that only way now is to insert this character as an Image
Old 07-29-2011, 11:30 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Dammit...

I guess that only way now is to insert this character as an Image
Surely Apple cannot do something non-standard and then expect ePubCheck to validate it?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:22 PM   #25
saskir
saskir began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Oh Apple will surely hammer all their non-conform "standards" into their product till they are the new standard. So I learned somethign new. Kindle and Apple cannot use embedded fonts? Will there be problems if I have a embedded fonts in it? Will it ignore it or give a big Cahonga and over?

Oh and besides I was also thinking about embedding some characters as pictures but what about the increasing and resizing of the font? The image would not be affected. Also the textflow around the image is problematic.

Last edited by saskir; 08-02-2011 at 05:24 PM.
saskir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #26
charleski
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskir View Post
Oh Apple will surely hammer all their non-conform "standards" into their product till they are the new standard. So I learned somethign new. Kindle and Apple cannot use embedded fonts? Will there be problems if I have a embedded fonts in it? Will it ignore it or give a big Cahonga and over?
I suspect that the more publishers who send Apple an email saying, "WTF are you trying to do? Fire all your retarded engineers now and hire some who will comply with the clearly-defined standard," the better.

Quote:
Oh and besides I was also thinking about embedding some characters as pictures but what about the increasing and resizing of the font? The image would not be affected. Also the textflow around the image is problematic.
Doing it as an image is obviously not the solution. Apple has, graciously, decided to allow ePubs to follow The Actual Spec as long as you include a 'magic' bit of nonstandard xml.

The fact is that all this iPad bullshit is the worst thing that could ever happen to a developing cross-platform standard, and Apple is DIRECTLY TO BLAME.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:09 AM   #27
Adjust
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
The fact is that all this iPad bullshit is the worst thing that could ever happen to a developing cross-platform standard, and Apple is DIRECTLY TO BLAME.
Agreed... However I am now at an impasse...

I don't know which way to proceed in order to display a macron charater, which will display in iBooks and other epub readers, which can converted to .mobi and which will validate...