Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-14-2011, 11:28 PM   #1
Krinks
Krinks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 & MobiPocket Reader
Definitive Answer?

Hi,

I am a new Kindle 3 owner, and love it so far. My only confusion is over exactly how you can purchase books from the US in Canada. I have done a number of searches, but there seems to be a lot of contradictory/confusing information , and I was hoping for a concise answer here.

I am in Canada, and some of the books I want are not available except in the US store. As I understand it, I have two options:

1 -- US shipping address, but Canadian credit card and billing address, buy and transfer via computer to K3.

2 -- US shipping address, second Amazon.com account to buy gift card. Use gift card on first account to buy book, transfer via computer to K3.

Will one or both of these work?? I would love it if I could just use option 1 since my friend will allow me to use his home address in the US, then I could just put my credit card info in and away I go.

Are there other options I don't know about?

Any help would be appreciated.

Krinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:12 AM   #2
spacemonkey
Enthusiast
spacemonkey doesn't litterspacemonkey doesn't litter

Device: kindle 3 wifi
From my experience, option 1 is fine.

HOWEVER... they do look at the IP you are using to browse and buy on amazon.com and they blocked me after a few purchases...

But what I did to avoid that was use TOR (the onion router) as most of it's exit points are in the US, amazon.com decided I must be a good little citizen.

SM
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
If you are only going to buying an occasional book via a US account Option 1 is probably just fine.

If you are going to be buying several books at once and/or doing this on a frequent basis - Option 2 adds a level of "Make Me Look American" that is helpful in convincing the Amazon Gods that you are truly worthy of buying their US books.

If you want to add an additional level of protection, when you go to buy the US book log-in to the Amazon account via a VPN server to make your computer have a US IP address.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:02 AM   #4
Krinks
Krinks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 & MobiPocket Reader
Thanks for the replies everyone It will only be a couple of books here and there, since the majority of ones that I am interested in are already available on the Canadian site (which is more than I expected).

I appreciate all the input!
Krinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:30 AM   #5
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Re option 2:

2 -- US shipping address, second Amazon.com account to buy gift card. Use gift card on first account to buy book, transfer via computer to K3.

I'm still pretty new to this so please forgive my newbie ignorance, but... doesn't your Kindle have to be registered to the Amazon.com account in question for you to be able to download books to it?

If so, does Amazon.com actually allow you to register your Kindle with more than one account? (And wouldn't that be a bit of a giveaway?)

Still trying to figure out how this would be done in practice. Sorry if it's a stupid question!
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:06 AM   #6
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5, Amazon Fire 5th Gen, Moto Z Play Droid
I live in the US, so I haven't tried it but I think what they're saying is:
  • Register Kindle with an Amazon account that has a US shipping address.
    Have a second Amazon account (with the address in your home country?) buy a gift card for your first account.
  • Use the apparently-foreign gift card on your Kindle's purchases to make it appear that, though you are from the US, your apparently-foreign gift card gives more legitimacy to buying books from the location in which the gifted card was bought for you, as opposed to buying US books on a foreign credit card repeatedly.

Last edited by chyron8472; 02-19-2011 at 02:10 AM.
chyron8472 is offline   Reply With Quote