Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #61
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
And not sure about this quote, knowing it's Goodereader, whether it's accurate. Normally the 2 left hand buttons on the device will turn pages.

Goodereader - "There are no dedicated page turn buttons on the T3. When you are reading a book, you have the ability to swipe pages forwards and backwards."
What a surprise, they are wrong. The video posted by librista (at 1m 28s) clearly shows those 2 left hand buttons are still page turn buttons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samy2 View Post
Thats wrong. Sony Reader PRS T3 has this feature:
http://allesebook.de/wp-content/gall...la-foto-10.jpg

Its called "Advanced Propriety Page Refresh Technology".

Look at the video (1:30 m). Change of size or font take a flash, but normal page turn not.
Doesn't that show a flash on the first page turn? In which case, it'll just be an improvement to the T2, still flashes but at a far less frequent interval?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvina View Post
There is a backside without any cover for sure because the leaked picture from FCC doesn't have a cover but a backside.
But if you look at the video, which shows it in the case, when he flips it over to show the back (at 5m 50s), it looks just the same as that picture you have posted? The case just looks really slim. I quite like the look of it as I like a minimalist, super slim cover, but at teh same time I'd be worried that it's a little flimsy and doesn't offer enough protection.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 09-03-2013 at 11:06 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #62
samy2
Ebook-Fan
samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
We will see in further reviews. There is written "4 hours flicker-free reading"..
samy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #63
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
After watching the video, I do like the T3 but am rather concerned about the screen contrast. Obviously, without being front lit, the whites won't be white, but the black text appeared a mid grey, not black at all.
Not just the fonts look washed out, but the covers as well.

The contrast looks weak and that really, really worried me. One of the troubles I have with my Glo and Paperwhite is that the frontlight makes the fonts look transparent and weak at night, and I have trouble reading on them. This looks like that, except without the use of a light.

I'm also disappointed in the lack of extra font choices, and no extra font sizes.

And I'd really be interested to know if the OS actually can handle large libraries. I have a limit I put on mine now, because they all lock up if I try to fill up an SD card. It makes no sense to me to say we can use a 32 Gig microSD card if most of the space is unusable because the device just can't hand indexing the volume I have.

The snap-on cover may be sleek, and I like a sleek machine. But snap on back do have problems. I've got a Samsung Galaxy Note and I've already had to trash one case because one tab broke. If one of the tabs break, there's no getting the case to fit on it. If your not going to be changing batteries, I don't think that the under-the-case micro-sd slot is a good idea.

For the rest, I don't use Evernote, don't web surf on mine. I just read on them. I'd rather they'd given me extra options on the reading part, had a good contrast, and left out the bits. I just don't see anything so far that warranted a new machine. Not for me anyway.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #64
samy2
Ebook-Fan
samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not sure if you can judge the contrast due to this video. This video seams to have a very bad quality.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #65
samy2
Ebook-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
And I'd really be interested to know if the OS actually can handle large libraries.
In my PRS T1 and T2 i had almost 2000 Ebooks, and it worked will. Currenly i have almoust all internal memory of my T1 used. And it works pretty good. So i think and hope the T3 will also work fine with big libraries.
Advert
Old 09-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #66
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
In my PRS T1 and T2 i had almost 2000 Ebooks, and it worked will. Currenly i have almoust all internal memory of my T1 used. And it works pretty good. So i think and hope the T3 will also work fine with big libraries.
2,000 is what I limit both the T1 and T2's to. Much more than that and I find they start to lock up and reboot at odd times.

For me, that's not even close to a "Big" collection. A 32gig microSD card mostly wasted space in the T1 and T2's.

I don't like having to file my books in folders on the Nook, but the Nook kicks ass when it comes to being able to fill a MicroSD card.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #67
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
The weight is very good. There is 200 grams with cover, 160 Grams without cover that is gorgeous. And there still the best dictionaries and - thats important - the best dictionaries integration of every reader on the market.
Not everybody uses the dictionaries, personally I have never felt the need to use them.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #68
alvina
Connoisseur
alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
2,000 is what I limit both the T1 and T2's to. Much more than that and I find they start to lock up and reboot at odd times.
I have 3000 E-Books on my Sony Reader, most from Project Gutenberg, and I never have any lock ups or reboots. Maybe some of your books should get an epub validation, of your database is damaged. I don't think that it's a good idea to put 2000 or 3000 E-Books at once on your Reader, I would do it in parts of 20 or 40 or so since the Reader needs to build the database.

There is a dedicated forum here if you have problems with your Sony Reader, why don't you ask for help there?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100
alvina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #69
librista
librista can name that song in three noteslibrista can name that song in three noteslibrista can name that song in three noteslibrista can name that song in three noteslibrista can name that song in three noteslibrista can name that song in three noteslibrista can name that song in three noteslibrista can name that song in three noteslibrista can name that song in three noteslibrista can name that song in three noteslibrista can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3
Quote:
I'm not sure if you can judge the contrast due to this video. This video seams to have a very bad quality.
Yes, that's true. The PRS-T3 have great contrast.
librista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #70
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
As I always find that the covers give a bulky feel to the ereaders, I like the idea of the integrated one.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #71
DuskyRose
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvina View Post
There is a dedicated forum here if you have problems with your Sony Reader, why don't you ask for help there?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100
Been there, done that many times.

Problem is, not many people deal in huge libraries. Theory is all fine and dandy, but sometimes Real Life applications don't match Theory.

It's not the epubs. It's the fact my Sony's can't handle the indexing once they reach a certain number. And few people actually have the numbers to test them out like I do.

And no, I don't load thousands at a time. Doesn't make any difference how it's loaded, or how much time it takes to indes. Even with a week to 'gell' and index everything.

I'd like to know that the T3 has more "Umph" in the OS to handle a full card. I don't like to pay for space I can't use.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #72
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
What a great looking device!

I am always impressed nd surprised by how good and well made Sony readers are. And by what i have seen in the video, it will suprise me again...

I am very happy that Sony did not put a lighted screen. I prefer the external light. Seems like Sony DOES listen to some of their customers (and i think they are not a minority...)!

As a person that uses english as a second language, and as a person that reads books that do not use a "standardized" set of words (meaning the least common denominator in linguistic terms), and as a person that reads in more than one language, i do appreciate a lot having dictionaries and several multilingual dictionaries. I also like to learn while i read.

Well done Sony!

Last edited by Salgueiros; 09-03-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #73
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Maybe Sony is counterprogramming!
Instead of going for the hordes buying high contrast front-lit Pearl and Carta screens, a tough row to hoe under the best of circumstances, they instead go for a dominant role as a purveyor of unlit xga screens. Sorta like preferring to be a bigshot in a small town instead of getting overlooked in the Big City.
Who knows, it might even work!

(Everything else has failed, anyway...)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #74
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salgueiros View Post
I am very happy that Sony did not put a lighted screen. I prefer the external light. Seems like Sony DOES listen to some of their customers (and i think they are not a minority...)!
Only time will tell if the customers who are prepeared to pay over the competiton's prices for a non lit reader willl keep Sony in the ereader business, personally I have my doubts.

I don't just use the front light at night, at home, when I also have access to an external light, but in all sorts of poor light conditions, including in the car while traveling. It's usefulness far outweighs any shortcomings.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #75
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
They mention that adding/removing the SD card requires removing the back plate. So the cover can be removed/replaced but you can't use it without a cover.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
This itself seems a poor design choice, making access to the card less easy.
Can't the card be left in place once inserted, (therefore ease of access may not matter so much), or do SD cards have to be removed to add new books to them? (My PRS-300 has no provision for memory cards.)
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote