Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-03-2017, 02:01 AM   #121
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I'm suspicious. I'm thinking there is more to the story. Convenient way to promote your books in this mess.

Sent from my XT1528
She's posted excerpts from the letter, and it's a free book. The worry is they told her in the first letter they could ban her from publishing on Amazon. In this case, knowing Amazon as I do, I'm more inclined to believe the author. Amazon aren't exactly subtle in their letters.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:27 AM   #122
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
She's posted excerpts from the letter, and it's a free book. The worry is they told her in the first letter they could ban her from publishing on Amazon. In this case, knowing Amazon as I do, I'm more inclined to believe the author. Amazon aren't exactly subtle in their letters.
No I'm not saying she's lying about that but she was very quick to point fingers and scare other authors. It doesn't matter it was a free story her other books are not.

You should never make accusations without proof. She's either wanting attention or using it as publicity for her books.

We are not getting the full story.

Several have told her this is a common scam nothing to do with ARE but she won't listen to reason. She is using this as publicity which I think is bad taste.

Sent from my XT1528

Last edited by Blossom; 01-03-2017 at 06:21 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2017, 09:42 AM   #123
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
It's very easy to panic when Amazon sends those letters because they will not reveal who is claiming the rights on the other end. It could be someone showing a contract saying they are the ones with the right to publish. If she had already been publishing it on her own, that is STILL possible. The problem is that Amazon won't tell her--they will ask for proof that is pretty hard to provide when you don't know what you need.

I doubt she's using it for publicity, although I don't know the author. She's probably just screaming in panic and after having had problems with ARe, she may just be pointing the finger early. Just making that claim is hardy enough to provide publicity. I could write sob stories on my blog or visit other blogs and leave sob stories, but that isn't likely to generate "buying" publicity. The readers have been taken in this scenario as well so just mad speculation doesn't buy anyone anything.

Other authors have gotten that letter and it can take WEEKS to straighten out. It simply isn't a high priority with Amazon. It's much easier to take the book down.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:58 PM   #124
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

She's refusing to see reason that ARE more than likely has nothing to do with it. She keeps accusing them without proof.

So more like she doing it for the "many" comments she is getting. Sorry but I can tell when someone doesn't care about the paranoia she is spreading to other authors. I'd post the link and name so you could see for yourself but I don't want to give her any public time on here.

Getting back to the topic.

There is a Facebook group of authors getting together for class action. You can find the link on SB Sarah's blog in the comments on the post about ARE.

They are also saying anyone who lost books needs to file a complaint with Florida's Attorney General's office.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 01-03-2017, 03:31 PM   #125
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
They are also saying anyone who lost books needs to file a complaint with Florida's Attorney General's office.
I sure don't want to present myself as an expert, but isn't this where the whole "you don't own your e-books" argument is going to come in? With this store closing, you aren't losing e-books you own, you are losing your ability to view licensed content.

Not that I agree, but isn't that where ARe's customers stand legally?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2017, 03:43 PM   #126
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I sure don't want to present myself as an expert, but isn't this where the whole "you don't own your e-books" argument is going to come in? With this store closing, you aren't losing e-books you own, you are losing your ability to view licensed content.

Not that I agree, but isn't that where ARe's customers stand legally?
Probably true. It's just so sad. Still maybe if enough complaints are made the AG would take action. It's worth a try.

We need to change this. We need to change the law about owning ebooks if anything this is a prime example why.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 01-03-2017, 04:04 PM   #127
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
She's refusing to see reason that ARE more than likely has nothing to do with it. She keeps accusing them without proof.

So more like she doing it for the "many" comments she is getting. Sorry but I can tell when someone doesn't care about the paranoia she is spreading to other authors. I'd post the link and name so you could see for yourself but I don't want to give her any public time on here.

Getting back to the topic.

There is a Facebook group of authors getting together for class action. You can find the link on SB Sarah's blog in the comments on the post about ARE.

Sent from my XT1528
Sounds like you and I are both on that authors FB feed, still like you say we've seen it before but I can empathise with her panic, I've been at the end of a threatening Amazon letter myself.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:05 PM   #128
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Probably true. It's just so sad. Still maybe if enough complaints are made the AG would take action. It's worth a try.

We need to change this. We need to change the law about owning ebooks if anything this is a prime example why.

Sent from my XT1528
We need to change the law about owning all digital files, ebooks, audiobooks, video, it's all the same, unless it's sold DRM free we don't own it.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:44 PM   #129
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Sounds like you and I are both on that authors FB feed, still like you say we've seen it before but I can empathise with her panic, I've been at the end of a threatening Amazon letter myself.
No her blog post. I haven't checked her Facebook.

Quote:
We need to change the law about owning all digital files, ebooks, audiobooks, video, it's all the same, unless it's sold DRM free we don't own it.
Even DRM free is not considered owned. You are purchasing a license not a book. It needs to change. The license worked fine on software but Digital content is much different than software.

Most Amazon books they publish with the exception of Montlake are DRM free. The publisher turns on the DRM when they upload their file.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 01-03-2017, 11:57 PM   #130
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Strictly speaking in most cases even if it is sold DRM free, you don't own it. I've seen much the same verbiage about licensing in the copyright/EULA segment of both DRMed and DRM-free ebooks.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:40 AM   #131
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Sent from my XT1528
The problem here is not a license vs owning. The problem is the people who did not download the eBooks and now have lost them. I think both the shop and those that did not download are at fault.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:42 AM   #132
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem here is not a license vs owning. The problem is the people who did not download the eBooks and now have lost them. I think both the shop and those that did not download are at fault.
Right, but that's your personal opinion, whereas the post above was suggesting legal action (those that lost access to their books should file a complaint with Florida's Attorney General).

Morally, maybe both sides are at fault. I sure feel for the readers that lost access due to the sudden closure and am not as quick as you to blame them for not backing up their books.

But regardless of either of our opinions, I doubt the readers who lost their books have a legal leg to stand on.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:10 PM   #133
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

As I hear more stories my understanding most used ARE desktop program for years and didn't know they could download the books separately. I'm not familiar with any of this or the software.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 01-04-2017, 04:57 PM   #134
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle Paperwhite 5, 16 gb version
I believe there may be some copyright ownership issues due to the books being considered assets of ARE's if there is a bankruptcy process going on. Was reading an article -- I think on SmartBitches -- where they talked about that possibility and advised authors to see about getting their catalogs reverted to them ASAP. Maybe that writer who says Amazon is disputing her copyright is caught up in such a mess.
Byrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:15 PM   #135
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdie View Post
I believe there may be some copyright ownership issues due to the books being considered assets of ARE's if there is a bankruptcy process going on. Was reading an article -- I think on SmartBitches -- where they talked about that possibility and advised authors to see about getting their catalogs reverted to them ASAP. Maybe that writer who says Amazon is disputing her copyright is caught up in such a mess.
If ARe acted as the publisher then they can file a third-party type of claim (and that was my understanding of what the author thought happened.) ARe or any entity can CLAIM anything they want. Amazon then has to decide what they want for proof. There was a case last year of someone copying text from some books, posting it on a blog and back dating it. They'd then file a claim with Amazon using the back date as their "claim" of ownership. They then wrote the author and blackmailed them (not admitting they were the party involved) ---pay "x" and we'll resolve this claim for you. It was easy for them to resolve because they'd just tell Amazon the claim had been resolved.

The problem, of course, is that it can take forever to resolve because Amazon does not identify claimants to other claimants.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote