Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-10-2017, 03:44 PM   #76
abbynormal52
Groupie
abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Fire Tablet 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla View Post
One good way to evaluate distant libraries that will let you pay for a library card is to calculate available ebooks divided by the yearly cost. For instance Houston has around 30k epub ebooks for $40/yr; while Brooklyn has around 90k epub ebooks for $50/yr.

On that basis, Brooklyn looks better. But, of course, there are other factors such as:

1) How long you have to wait on hold before books you are interested in are available.
2) How easy is it to get the non-resident library card
yes, and also do they have most of my fave authors. I am constantly finding more authors I like though I've found most of those by taking lists from Cozy Mysteries, and entering the different author's name in the search.

That's quite a difference in "how many" books are available though. I will get to a search of Brookly at some point. I'm just so glad they have libraries that let you join by paying what I think are reasonable fees (again, if there enough books that are "my kind of books" )

I have some options
abbynormal52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:46 PM   #77
abbynormal52
Groupie
abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Rather than looking at total ebooks. I think it would be more important to get a sense of what percentage of the collection is books you want to read. Then, too, enough is as good as a feast, and if the cheaper library has a sufficiency of the books you want to read, why pay more?

Hold lists are very important up front. But once you can work up a list of gradually advancing holds, it becomes less important. Also, once you're a member, you'll be able to join queues much earlier, if you pay attention to new listings.
All good points, and I agree. I learned to at least try to put a book on hold so that it would become available by the time I finish one. But when I see I'm like 10 in line for 2 copies, I try for a book that has less people in line
Old 01-13-2017, 07:49 PM   #78
abbynormal52
Groupie

I just tried to open my first book from Overdrive, library2go, and I don't see the "old" bookshelf at all. I don't understand the "Download the App" either. It used to be "download in epub, or kindle, pdf". The "read now" is the only one that opens the book and that's in my browser??

Does Overdrive not have it's own Reader any longer? My Nook still works in Overdrive with a few changes, but I am not understanding the Fire Tablet 7" I bought?

It's too late to call the library and ask questions today, but thought maybe someone might be around here to help me. I managed to get a book checked out (borrowed) but darned if I can get it to open in the Overdrive Reader, which I don't even know if it's there anymore?

Thanks in advance, Denise
Old 01-13-2017, 07:56 PM   #79
abbynormal52
Groupie

Oh this is maddening, first I need to apologize. It evidentally was glitch and now I see a "new" bookshelf. It took like 5 to 10 minutes for the stupid thing to come up though, geez!

Ok, so I see now, but every time I want to check out a book, I will click on "add to app"?? Is that right? Thank you much, Denise
Old 01-18-2017, 07:48 AM   #80
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
When evaluating libraries for which you may choose to pay for a non-resident library card, issybird makes a good point about looking at the types of book that you can find in that library.

Fortunately, Overdrive makes that pretty easy. When you go to the Overdrive advanced search screen for a library, click on Subjects in the top left of that screen. Then click on EBOOKS and you will see an enumeration of all of the ebooks by subject type.

For instance, I looked through six different libraries and found that Romance books varied from 10% to 40% of the entire ebook offerings for a library with 20-25% being the average.
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:14 PM   #81
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla View Post
For instance, I looked through six different libraries and found that Romance books varied from 10% to 40% of the entire ebook offerings for a library with 20-25% being the average.
Are your percentages of total books or of total fiction books?

This can make a real difference for libraries that lean mostly towards one of the two main categories (fiction or non-fiction). Even a library like Orange County, FL (one of the bigger with non-resident cards that don't require an in-person application) that has 63% fiction overall, Romance is 31% of all books, but 46% of fiction.

It's even worse for recent purchases...in the last 30 days, 450 books were purchased, with 280 fiction, 170 non-fiction. But, a whopping 71% (199) of the fiction books were Romance.

Brooklyn Public Library (with about the same number of total books) has similar percentages, including recent purchases. Fairfax, VA, though, with only about 25K total books, has a much lower percentage of Romance/Fiction (30%), and even less in recent purchases (24%). For $27/year, Fairfax is a hidden gem of libraries with easy to acquire non-resident cards.

Last, the numbers are also skewed because I noticed that if you add up fiction plus non-fiction, the result is far less than the total number of books in every Overdrive library I've checked (each has at least 25K total books). So, some books must not be classified as either.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:26 PM   #82
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Just keep in mind that genre tags for OverDrive aren't always all that accurate (just like the ones at book stores like Amazon).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:46 PM   #83
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
It's pretty clear that the enumeration by subject is based on total ebooks since it shows the total # of ebooks in the library and then shows the total # of Romance books (for example).

I too was surprised at the % showing of Romance books among the libraries I looked at. I suspect that this is driven, in a large part, by the use of the Recommend option by the library members.

I also agree that this Subject listing is only as good as the rigor used in assigning subject tags to books. While there may be errors, I suspect that it is reasonably accurate.
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:22 PM   #84
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
It looks like your library card has expired. Either check your account online or call your home library.

PS: it's not a good idea to post personal information, like your library card number
Wow, thanks for this. I just looked, and my 3 cards expire at the end of the month.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:08 PM   #85
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Wow, thanks for this. I just looked, and my 3 cards expire at the end of the month.
YW - I'm down to four libraries now. I've closed out the accounts of the others. It's too much hassle traveling just to renew a card.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:02 PM   #86
abbynormal52
Groupie

I think it's probably best to continue on this thread as I am having more issues with Overdrive on my new, Kindle Fire Tablet 7". Amazon is just calling it a Fire Tablet 7" but some have said it is a Kindle Fire Tablet 7". It is the one they made to sell for only 49.99.

I have downloaded Overdrive to read my library ebooks as some of you know. Today is the day I want to help my sister, 100 miles up the coast from me, start using her Fire Tablet I got her for Christmas. There's been some illness and she couldn't get started, and I had books on my old Nook I was finishing up, but it's time for me to start using mine as well.

The main problem I am having with Overdrive, is once I get my checked out book downloaded from "loans" area, it's not moving onto the bookshelf.

I tried a restart of the app
I tried a reinstall

So far, nothing is working. I had this issue before, and suddenly, for some unknown reason, the book appeared on my Bookshelf. This is happening today and now I am stressing because if I can't get mine to work right, I can't help my sis who is less tech inclined than I am.

Can anyone help with this issue? I'd so appreciate it, denise
Old 01-22-2017, 12:12 PM   #87
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I think OverDrive books can only be read with the Kindle app on the Fire tablets. When you check out a book, choose Kindle format and then have it delivered to the Fire. You might want to change the default checkout on the Manage Your Content and Devices page, but even if the book has been sent to a different device, you can still send it to your tablet.

Last edited by issybird; 01-22-2017 at 12:15 PM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:40 PM   #88
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
You can have the Overdrive app on the Fire. I have it. I don't generally read on my fire, but I guess I have the option to check out a book at library either in kindle format, using the fire and my kindle account, or pull it into the overdrive app as a epub. I did that in the past before when there was no kindle version on a book for a while. You just do that within the overdrive app.

Although if I had the option, I'd always use the kindle version and read it on fire in my own account. The kindle reader is nicer than the overdrive reader. At least I find it so.

I guess I am just confused totally as to what the issue here is. Are the books being checked out on a computer or in the overdrive app or what.
Are the books just not showing up in the overdrive app? Not sure what the issue is there, stuff should just show up. Is there maybe an update needed for the overdrive app? I haven't checked out a book in the overdrive app for some time, but it always worked fine in the past for me. So I can't help there I don't think. Stuff just always shows up on the bookshelf for me. At least last time I used it.

If the book is available in kindle format, might just be easier to not use the overdrive app and check out the books in kindle format instead. Then use the fire and its built in kindle reader. Sounds like some issue with overdrive.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:42 PM   #89
abbynormal52
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I think OverDrive books can only be read with the Kindle app on the Fire tablets. When you check out a book, choose Kindle format and then have it delivered to the Fire. You might want to change the default checkout on the Manage Your Content and Devices page, but even if the book has been sent to a different device, you can still send it to your tablet.
Ok Issy, I will reset it all again as I have downloaded the Kindle APP and also the format for Kindle book (not epub or I think there was another choice too).

I am just trying to check it out right from my Kindle now. I think it will be easier for both my sister and I, rather than doing it on my laptop, and then going in and downloading it to the Kindle. I used to always do it that way on my Nook, but this is different I know.

Thanks so much, and I will go give it a go and let you know how it goes. Denise
Old 01-22-2017, 12:50 PM   #90
abbynormal52
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
You can have the Overdrive app on the Fire. I have it. I don't generally read on my fire, but I guess I have the option to check out a book at library either in kindle format, using the fire and my kindle account, or pull it into the overdrive app as a epub. I did that in the past before when there was no kindle version on a book for a while. You just do that within the overdrive app.

Although if I had the option, I'd always use the kindle version and read it on fire in my own account. The kindle reader is nicer than the overdrive reader. At least I find it so.

I guess I am just confused totally as to what the issue here is. Are the books being checked out on a computer or in the overdrive app or what.
Are the books just not showing up in the overdrive app? Not sure what the issue is there, stuff should just show up. Is there maybe an update needed for the overdrive app? I haven't checked out a book in the overdrive app for some time, but it always worked fine in the past for me. So I can't help there I don't think. Stuff just always shows up on the bookshelf for me. At least last time I used it.

If the book is available in kindle format, might just be easier to not use the overdrive app and check out the books in kindle format instead. Then use the fire and its built in kindle reader. Sounds like some issue with overdrive.
I am using all Kindle App on the Fire itself, just on the one device. When I check a book out, instead of saying the book has gone to your shelf, it is saying, omg, I just found it.

I am such a dummy

I forget the whole page isn't showing, so after I borrowed the book this time, I swiped up a bit and saw where it says "add to app" then it showed "downloading title" and then "book added to bookshelf".

Geez, I feel so stupid. Sorry to bother you both but thanks so much. I wouldn't have figured it out without reading your replies, it just dawned on me. On my Nook you saw the whole page, didn't have to swipe to see all.

Thanks so much, Denise