Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-17-2017, 06:05 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
[Leak/Rumour] Windows Store to sell ebooks (again)?

Speculation is that the addition of ePub support to Edge browser (still only in preview build I think?) has paved the way for this.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/31585...le-ebooks.html

http://www.techradar.com/news/window...-leak-suggests

Wonder if Edge offers (or will offer) offline mode for this content (as Kindle Cloud Reader does). I am not willing to install preview build of Windows 10 to find out, however. I just removed preview build from my Windows 10 Phone as half the apps I wanted to use stopped working...
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:15 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
It would have to support some kind of DRM to get many publishers on board so unless the ePub support is based around Adobe's RMSDK we're likely looking at another new DRM scheme (possibly something based around LIT's DRM?).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:25 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It would have to support some kind of DRM to get many publishers on board so unless the ePub support is based around Adobe's RMSDK we're likely looking at another new DRM scheme (possibly something based around LIT's DRM?).
They don't need to use DRM unless they offer a 'download ePub' option. If you are just reading it in a browser, or in some app derived from that, there's no 'file' as such. E.g. Google Play Books app does not open or download ePub files. Google uses Adobe DRM only if you request file download, and not all books you buy have that option. And you also have B&N, which does not have an official 'download ePub' option at all any more. Yet apparently some people still buy ebooks from them.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:10 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I believe both Google & B&N still use some sort of DRM in their apps and don't rely on the app in and of itself to be enough to "protect" the books, but you're correct I was more thinking of the book being downloaded.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:16 AM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/18/14...10-ebook-store
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:32 PM   #6
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Wonder how long it will last before they fold and quietly bury it?
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:57 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
Wonder how long it will last before they fold and quietly bury it?
If the ePubs can be downloaded and Alfed, I'd be happy to buy eBooks from Microsoft. Could be a real boon in light of the direction Amazon appear to be taking.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:18 PM   #8
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
If the ePubs can be downloaded and Alfed, I'd be happy to buy eBooks from Microsoft. Could be a real boon in light of the direction Amazon appear to be taking.
My problem is that I believe your "if" is an impossibility. I would really love to be wrong in this case though, because I'm not really liking where the 'Zon is going either.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:45 PM   #9
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
If they limit it to Windows 10, it's no use to me.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:41 PM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
My problem is that I believe your "if" is an impossibility. I would really love to be wrong in this case though, because I'm not really liking where the 'Zon is going either.
Yeah, you're probably right. But I'm hoping.

Maybe there will be some simple work around. The ePubs are displayed in Edge. Edge can use extensions. Some extension is written to read the code and create a downloaded ePub. My complete ignorance of coding likely makes this naively optimistic...

Last edited by ZodWallop; 01-18-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:43 PM   #11
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
If they limit it to Windows 10, it's no use to me.
Well, it's specifically for the Edge browser which is a Windows 10 exclusive, so...
Old 01-19-2017, 05:39 PM   #12
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
You guys may be right about the direction Amazon is taking with respect to their new Kindle for PC updates but I think it's too soon to call it a direction. I wonder how long it'll take Alf to be able to deal with KFX.

I do have a Windows 10 phone which I only use for audio files, not as a phone, so if the new MS books works on that it might be a bit useful to me. But not as a regular way to read. It might be handy as a second device to keep handy with reference material while I'm reading on my Kindle or regular phone.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:56 PM   #13
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Since MS has come up with some interesting hardware of late, I'd be interested in a MS dedicated e-reader.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:36 AM   #14
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
I don't know that I would jump to Microsoft right away. They left me high and dry with ebooks before. That was my first experience with drm removal. I did manage to liberate my books, but it left some hard feelings.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:48 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
I don't know that I would jump to Microsoft right away. They left me high and dry with ebooks before. That was my first experience with drm removal. I did manage to liberate my books, but it left some hard feelings.
ConvertLIT was a lifesaver there.

edit: Getting back to the original topic, looking at the ebook sales/reading with Edge, looks like an online only experience in build 15014.

Last edited by DNSB; 01-22-2017 at 11:58 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote