Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 01:12 AM   #136
kounishin
kounishin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Hi David,

Initially starting the Kobo with power connected didn't seem to do anything, but I noticed that in fact the power light was coming on - it was just turning off again a few seconds later. Since then it's progressed to the point where turning it on with power connected will have the power light stay on (it turns off again if the button is pressed and held for ~10 seconds), which seems a little like the battery was extremely drained.

Unfortunately, none of this produces any response on the screen. I tried connecting the unit to an actual data port, and it identifies as an "SE Blank MEGREZ", which I believe means the SoC has power but it hasn't booted an OS (the same thing is reported with Kindles if their internal memory plays up).

So part of the issue looks memory-card related (maybe it's the reader, not the card itself, but it's the same result) and part of it looks battery-related. I found several other reports of the behaviour I'm seeing when charging (no screen response, back of the Glo HD gets hot, if cover is removed it's the Ricoh RC5T619 power-management chip that's the source of the heat), but none of them seem to offer any definitive answers. I assume a healthy Glo HD wouldn't get this hot when charging, though.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:14 AM   #137
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@kounishin: We've seen a few reports of the devices being recognized as "SE Blank MEGREZ" or something when they don't seem to boot. I don't remember if anyone has recovered from this. Does this happen if there is no card in the slot?

For the heat, I've never noticed anything when charging my Kobo devices. I don't remember seeing any reports of the back getting hot when charging. Have you tried unplugging the battery? If it still gets hot, I would blame the chip. But, if it doesn't it might be the battery.
Advert
Old 10-31-2017, 11:54 PM   #138
kounishin
kounishin began at the beginning.

This is going to get a bit detailed. Sorry about that, but it was a pain in the rear to dig up some of the information (like the USB IDs), so if I put it here hopefully it'll be easier for other people searching to find with some context, rather than a German forum thread...

In my particular case, the PMU chip still gets hot whenever the Kobo is connected to power - whether the power LED has been turned on or not, whether the battery is connected or not. I agree that this probably means the PMU is faulty, which is a pain; replacement batteries are easy enough, but fixing the PMU would probably require a new motherboard.

I don't know what would happen to a healthy Glo HD with the battery disconnected, of course. I have seen a couple of reports which suggest that the same thing can happen with a fully drained battery, and in that case it'll fix itself if the battery can pick up a charge again, but that's just anecdotal. In my case there's some slight distortion visible on the PMU (not actual melting or discoloring, but with light at the right angle you can see the difference in what looks like a heat spot; there's what looks like a small dent in the back cover at the same spot), so I'm betting that the PMU chip is toast.

Diagnosis notes:
  • while the Kobo draws power (and gets hot) whether it's turned on or not, it will only show up as a connected USB device when turned on
  • on Windows, you'll only get the "SE Blank MEGREZ" notification the first time you connect it (when Windows is setting it up as a new device)
  • it will still be there on subsequent connections, but it doesn't show up in Device Manager as anything distinctive: just a generic USB HID device
  • you can identify it with something like USBDeView (where "SE Blank MEGREZ" will show up in the Device Name column), or if necessary you can look for the device with vendor ID 0x15a2 and product ID 0x0063
  • it may or may not be easier to identify on other OSes; I haven't checked them, because I'm lazy
Come to think of it, I didn't actually confirm whether it still behaves the same way with the memory card removed; I'll check when I get the chance. Based on the other reports (covering a bunch of different devices, not just Kobos), though, I'm pretty sure this mode is built in to the FreeScale SoC and so it'll only happen when no other OS is running, whether that's because of a faulty SD card, a blank one, or the lack of one entirely.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:38 AM   #139
pierrequivole
pierrequivole began at the beginning.

Device: kobo basic glo
kobo glo backup image

hello, is it possible to get your kobo glo backup image, my sd card is broken, please, tks,
Pierre
Old 11-01-2017, 07:30 AM   #140
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PM sent in response to the first post.
Advert
Old 11-12-2017, 04:54 PM   #141
Nicoalejandro
Nicoalejandro began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
The public image created by me for mark 4 devices firmware 4.6.9995

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquijote View Post
Hi David,
same here, since yesterday my Kobo Glo HD won't turn back on again. Could you send me your link with the image as well?
Thanks a lot. A lot!
i was created a image of my device to shared publicly with all of our users without pm
go to this video and i teach how to flash
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgCcXwnAqm8&t=1s
Old 01-04-2018, 11:00 AM   #142
Nikola62
Nikola62 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo GLO N437
Hello i need also one image for my kobo glo hd N437 ,can some one help me please
Old 01-04-2018, 11:01 AM   #143
Nikola62
Nikola62 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo GLO N437
hello, is it possible to get your kobo glo HD N437 backup image, my sd card is broken, please help
Old 01-04-2018, 05:39 PM   #144
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM Sent.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:08 AM   #145
Angelo64
Angelo64 began at the beginning.

Hello,
I have a Glo HD (model N437) and my SD-card went down the drain in a Windows bug...The reader won't start now.
Could someone send me an IMAGE for the memory card?

Thanks in advance,
Angelo

Last edited by Angelo64; 01-07-2018 at 04:24 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:06 AM   #146
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:59 PM   #147
abildgaardo
abildgaardo began at the beginning.

I have also managed to brick my Kobo Glo HD, (N437), ..image frozen and non-responsive..
Can someone help me with a working firmware sdcard image ,.. ?

Br
Thomas A..
Old 02-12-2018, 06:55 PM   #148
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.

It's polite to allow a reasonable amount of time to reply before posting again.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:46 AM   #149
escudito
escudito began at the beginning.

KGHD, bricked

My Kobo Glo Hd is bricked... please can anyone help me with a working firmware image?
Old 02-18-2018, 06:12 AM   #150
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.
Closed Thread