Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-04-2014, 03:24 PM   #31
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@seeadler: Right, K3.

Nope, not gonna work. Besides the limitations of the busybox shell shipped with the K3, which you're just starting to feel the pain of, the whole system expects & uses the framework of FW 5.x, which is, in that regard in particular, way, way, way different than FW 2.x/3.x/4.x.

So, besides rewriting the script itself to play nice with the K3 busybox, you'll also need to adapt the logic to fit your target device (and be warned that it might not be 100% doable).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:53 AM   #32
Past_master
Past_master began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Hi! Thank you so much for the work done, i would never decided on this.
But there is one problem - the screen is in screensaver mode is not updated.
Due logs, wi-fi twitches, the image is loaded, but update script does not refresh screen
Specify the correct path, i du no what to do
Paperwhite 5.4.2.2
Past_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2014, 01:04 PM   #33
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Past_master View Post
Hi! Thank you so much for the work done, i would never decided on this.
But there is one problem - the screen is in screensaver mode is not updated.
Due logs, wi-fi twitches, the image is loaded, but update script does not refresh screen
Specify the correct path, i du no what to do
Paperwhite 5.4.2.2
Test as described in the first post and tell us the results.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:17 AM   #34
StefanS
StefanS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle4
Hello,

I also had some problems with the onlinescreensaver when the time switched from summer time to normal time. Somehow the RTC alarm didn't wake the kindle up correctly. Looking at the code I had the impression that there is a race condition anyway when the Kindle starts sleeping while no alarm is set (duiring the http request for example).
My solution for the PW was to modify utils.sh so that it uses two RTC alarms in parallel. The first one as usual and a second as last resort two minutes later.
If somebody is interested I can post the modified utils.sh here.

I also managed to make it run on my K4 by slightly modifying the code (no upstart script, switching from the sys filesystem access to the rtc to a compiled busybox with rtcwake for the K4).

If anybody is intersted in integrating this into the package I would be happy to share the patches.

regards,
Stefan
StefanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:44 AM   #35
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@StefanS: Yup, always interesting, feel free to post your patches .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2014, 11:38 AM   #36
StefanS

Hello,

I probably lost the original latest version, so here is what I made out of it for the Kindle4/5.
@NiLuJe: I compiled busybox with rtcwake using a ToolChain with CrossTool NG based on your script - many thanks for providing it!

the zip contains the scripts for the bin subdirectory and busybox as rtcwake.
The main change is just in utils.sh

regards,
Stefan
Attached Files
File Type: zip onlinescreensaver-k4-bin.zip (38.0 KB, 776 views)
Old 12-23-2014, 11:45 AM   #37
StefanS

... and here is the modified files for the PW
(just utils.sh from bin and a config with two RTCs)

regards,
Stefan
Attached Files
File Type: zip changed-files-pw.zip (2.5 KB, 637 views)
Old 02-13-2015, 10:46 AM   #38
z000ao8q
Connoisseur
z000ao8q shares his or her toysz000ao8q shares his or her toysz000ao8q shares his or her toysz000ao8q shares his or her toysz000ao8q shares his or her toysz000ao8q shares his or her toysz000ao8q shares his or her toysz000ao8q shares his or her toysz000ao8q shares his or her toysz000ao8q shares his or her toysz000ao8q shares his or her toys

Device: kobo mini
Hello,
this mod sounds like what I am searching for.
I implemented something similar (homeautomation monitor) on a kobo
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=212145

I wonder: what runtimes can you get with this?

on the kobo i sent the device to mem sleep via console commmands.
updating it every hour for 12 hours per day and spleeping again...
...i get >1 month of standbytime on a single charge.

does anyone have any values from experience?
I definaltely want to run a e-ink withoug power cable and am happy to take it off an connect it to a charger once a month.

thank you!
z000ao8q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:16 PM   #39
StefanS

Quote:
Originally Posted by z000ao8q View Post
I wonder: what runtimes can you get with this?
I update the image (home automation overview) every 10 minutes during the day and hourly at night. Recharge is necessary after 8 days.
I also added another feature recently: the current battery charge percentage is added as a query string to the URL for downloading the image so my home automation server (fhem) can track the charge / discharge.

regards,
Stefan
Old 02-06-2016, 07:09 AM   #40
developer
developer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I'm having troubles running above solution on my Kindle Touch. My problems are related to RTC clock. The first solution has the following error:
[root@kindle rtc]# echo 0 > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm
-sh: can't create /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm: nonexistent directory

And the second (from StefanS) with his rtcwake build works perfectly when kindle is in "active" mode but it stops working when I press the Kindle power button. When I press power button again rtcwake resumes and works again. So for some reason hardware power button turns Kindle into some kind of deep sleep mode that is not compatible with rtcwake.
Do you have any idea what can I do to make it work?
developer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:54 AM   #41
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Browse the /sys tree, find the pathname of the alarm for your version of the Amazon firmware
It should be something similar
Old 02-06-2016, 03:25 PM   #42
developer
developer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I've got: /sys/class/rtc/rtc1/wakealarm
but it seems not working, after issuing the following command:
[root@kindle rtc1]# echo 1454713450 > /sys/class/rtc/rtc1/wakealarm
[root@kindle rtc1]# cat /sys/class/rtc/rtc1/wakealarm

...nothing is printed on the screen.
developer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 03:50 PM   #43
knc1
Going Viral

Hmm...
Let me do a quick check here -

This firmware (most certainly not the same version or model as yours) has two clocks in the /sys tree, rtc0 and rtc1.
rtc1 is the only one with a bunch of exposed functions:
Code:
[root@kindle rtc1]# ls -l
-r--r--r--    1 root     root          4096 Oct  7 01:50 date
-r--r--r--    1 root     root          4096 Oct  7 01:50 dev
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Oct  7 01:50 device -> ../../../pmic_rtc.1
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          4096 Oct  7 01:50 max_user_freq
-r--r--r--    1 root     root          4096 Oct  7 01:50 name
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root             0 Oct  7 01:50 power
-r--r--r--    1 root     root          4096 Oct  7 01:50 since_epoch
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Oct  7 01:50 subsystem -> ../../../../../class/rtc
-r--r--r--    1 root     root          4096 Oct  7 01:50 time
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          4096 Oct  7 01:50 uevent
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          4096 Oct  7 01:50 wakealarm

[root@kindle rtc1]# cat wakealarm

[root@kindle rtc1]# cat time
18:34:34

[root@kindle rtc1]# pwd
/sys/class/rtc/rtc1
wakealarm is marked r/w for 'root' -
but I do not get anything back from it either.

= = = = =

There was a post or two around here in a thread about someone trying to use the timer.

I think they posted that it only accepted a value during the 'ready to sleep' kernel state.
Some thread searching might turn it up.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:05 PM   #44
adz
adz began at the beginning.

Device: KT2 / PW2
I'm using this and it's going well so far. Thanks!

One thing I've noticed is that it flashes the screen to update the screensaver even if the image hasn't changed. I noticed the Kindle has md5sum so I wondered what you thought of using a md5 to compare the downloaded file with the one in linkss/screensavers each time, saving the screen from flashing if nothing's changed.

Thoughts?

If everything goes to plan I'm going to release some code / words around this. I'll be sure to link to it for you if I do
adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:30 PM   #45
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
There was a post or two around here in a thread about someone trying to use the timer.

I think they posted that it only accepted a value during the 'ready to sleep' kernel state.
Some thread searching might turn it up.
Wake up from sleep
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...35#post2789335
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote