Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 10-30-2003, 11:53 AM   #1
jeffcarp
jeffcarp began at the beginning.

Device: Tungsten C
how to try JPluck & Plucker Desktop?

I had originally setup Plucker Desktop then found JPluck. Since I have found Plucker Desktop to be slow, I wanted to try JPluck and see if it was faster.

When I install JPluck at the very end it tells me there was an error installing a sync dll and to uninstall any other Plucker sync software first (presumably Plucker Desktop).

However, if I uninstall Plucker Desktop, won't I lose all my current site entries and settings?

How can I either import those into JPluck or at least retain them in Plucker Desktop so that I can try JPluck?

Thanks!
jeffcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 06:35 PM   #2
Tverberg
Tverberg began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Zire 71
Suggestion - try shutting down Palm's HotSync, then install JPluck. I think I had a similar problem the first time I installed JPluck and so now I always shut off HotSync before I install the updates. I haven't had any problems since. And I haven't had to uninstall Plucker (which I no longer use). JPluck is SO much faster with my modem connection.

I did not import anything from Plucker to JPluck. I didn't know how. I think I just modified JPluck's defaults for new documents, then copied and pasted URLs from Plucker. Not fast, but it worked. Also, click on File, Showcase to see the sites already set up. It's a great starting point.
Tverberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2003, 03:20 PM   #3
eponymous
Enthusiast
eponymous has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austeneponymous has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austeneponymous has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austeneponymous has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austeneponymous has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austeneponymous has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austeneponymous has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austeneponymous has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austeneponymous has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austeneponymous has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austeneponymous has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Sony CLIE PEG-SJ33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcarp
I had originally setup Plucker Desktop then found JPluck. Since I have found Plucker Desktop to be slow, I wanted to try JPluck and see if it was faster.

When I install JPluck at the very end it tells me there was an error installing a sync dll and to uninstall any other Plucker sync software first (presumably Plucker Desktop).

However, if I uninstall Plucker Desktop, won't I lose all my current site entries and settings?

How can I either import those into JPluck or at least retain them in Plucker Desktop so that I can try JPluck?

Thanks!
My understanding is that there is no conflict between Plucker Desktop and JPluck, it is the HotSync conduit that's the problem. JPluck either can't or won't use the HotSync conduit installed when you installed Plucker Desktop. Plucker Desktop can't or won't use the JPluck conduit. Both conduits want to use the creator ID "Plkr" and HotSync can't allow duplicated creator IDs. That being said the JPluck HotSync conduit is not necessary, just convenient. You can get JPluck to create the various PDBs and then use the install tool to get them on your handheld. Actually, I believe that if the conduit is not present JPluck may even use the install tool conduit automagically, not sure about that. One advantage to using the JPluck conduit is that you can set it to autoupdate your plucks at HotSync.

As for getting your plucks from Plucker Desktop into JPluck I think you're going to have to do that via cut and paste, I don't know of a conversion script.

I've completely uninstalled Plucker Desktop and just use JPluck now. I wish that JPluck had some of the features that PD has, table support for one, but it is noticably faster and I've gotten used to the way it works.

Good luck!
eponymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 06:15 AM   #4
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by eponymous
As for getting your plucks from Plucker Desktop into JPluck I think you're going to have to do that via cut and paste, I don't know of a conversion script.
JPluck includes a simple conversion tool called INI2JXL for converting Plucker INI files to JPluck's JXL format.

See http://jpluck.sourceforge.net/news/archives/000019.html for instructions
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote