Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-12-2019, 04:54 PM   #1
sovre
Zealot
sovre began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini; iPhone; Kindle Paperwhite (10th gen)
issue when using dark mode

I have been using my new Kindle paperwhite in dark mode lately.

While reading in dark mode, I first noticed faint gray lines on the screen in a grid pattern. I thought perhaps this was just a side-effect of using dark mode on the e-ink display and chose to ignore it, but recently I have also noticed text and images from the home screen "bleeding through" while I am reading books. Lines and text from the home screen do not stand out as much as the actual text of the book I am reading but are nevertheless visible.

Is anybody else experiencing this? Is this normal or the sign of a defective Kindle?

I'm also curious what causes this to happen.

When I am reading in the regular "black on white" mode, everything seems fine.

Thanks for your feedback.

Last edited by sovre; 08-12-2019 at 04:58 PM.
sovre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:43 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
That sure *looks* like the usual ghosting artefacts, made more obvious by night mode, even with the fancy tricks used by the PW4/KOA2/KOA3 (speaking of bleed-through).

The grid patterns might be the (ordered) dithering patterns being made more obvious by night mode, again. This is either more obvious or less obvious than the ghosting, depending on what's on screen, and depending on how exactly the dithering is implemented. My lack of first-hand experience with these devices means I can't actually tell you if that should ever actually be visible on a Kindle.
I can generate torture tests that do exhibit those things, though .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:43 PM   #3
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovre View Post
but recently I have also noticed text and images from the home screen "bleeding through" while I am reading books. Lines and text from the home screen do not stand out as much as the actual text of the book I am reading but are nevertheless visible.
Is it still as bad if you turn on the option to make it refresh the screen after every page turn?
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:06 PM   #4
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
For me, the inverted screen is just flat out hard to read. Even in a bright room, it's so dark and low contrast, even with the front light all the way up. At night in a dark room it's a little better, but very hard on my eyes.

I don't see the ghosting exactly, but the screen seems "shadowy" for lack of a better word. It may be my particular eye issues, but it's very unpleasant, both on the new Paperwhite and my KO2.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:11 AM   #5
cats2books
Enthusiast
cats2books doesn't littercats2books doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 11, iPad Pro 12.9 and 9.7
I tried the dark mode on my new oasis and found it to be unusable. At first it seemed like it was a good option for night time reading, plus I figured it would be even better at preserving the battery. However, every time I turned the page it would flash and I would see the white screen for a fraction of a second. That was with or without page refresh set on. It was too annoying to read that way.
cats2books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:19 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I don’t have any particular issues with it on my Paperwhite: no ghosting, lines, etc.

The only time screen flashes white is when I would see black flash in normal mode. It is not every page, more like when opening book, hitting chapter boundaries, or displaying and leaving a page with an image on it.

That said, I cannot say there are conditions in which I would have a clear preference for using it. In low light conditions, it still needs significant front lighting to make it readable, so for me it is not so different than normal mode (which for me is not comfortable in completely dark environments). It is just fun to turn it on once in awhile.

I use Dark theme all of the time on my phone and tablets, however. There the benefits for my eye comfort are more salient.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:13 PM   #7
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Alas, inverted mode is a rude reminder of how not black black is on eink displays.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:57 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Alas, inverted mode is a rude reminder of how not black black is on eink displays.
Yep.

This is why we need to leapfrog display technology with brain implants that can project images directly to visual cortex and overlay (or replace) what is coming in through our eyes.

Elon Musk launched Neuralink a couple of years ago, I’m sure we’ll have something along these lines before we’ll have display technology that truly replicates paper. If Bezos really cared about reading he’d throw a few billion at his own research venture.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:01 PM   #9
Paul_y2k
Paul_y2k began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I don’t have any particular issues with it on my Paperwhite: no ghosting, lines, etc.

The only time screen flashes white is when I would see black flash in normal mode. It is not every page, more like when opening book, hitting chapter boundaries, or displaying and leaving a page with an image on it.

That said, I cannot say there are conditions in which I would have a clear preference for using it. In low light conditions, it still needs significant front lighting to make it readable, so for me it is not so different than normal mode (which for me is not comfortable in completely dark environments). It is just fun to turn it on once in awhile.

I use Dark theme all of the time on my phone and tablets, however. There the benefits for my eye comfort are more salient.
I have mine in dark mode and also noticed the white page flash. I disable page refresh and it disappeared. Switched it back and it came back.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Paul_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:03 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_y2k View Post
I have mine in dark mode and also noticed the white page flash. I disable page refresh and it disappeared. Switched it back and it came back.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Page refresh is OFF by default. I’ve never felt any need to change it.

To be clear having it OFF does not eliminate flash, just reduces it to a minimum.