Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 10-21-2008, 10:21 PM   #1
Novasea
Enthusiast
Novasea doesn't litterNovasea doesn't litterNovasea doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505
Garbage in Garbage out

I have been spending a lot of time learning about file conversion. It is taking me quite a while but thanks to the information here I have learned a lot in the last couple of weeks.
I have been able to convert text files and html files to .lrf. I have been able to convert .pdf files and then convert them to .lrf.

This has not been easy. I have had to do a LOT of reading here on the forum.
I have also had to do things over and over again until I became somewhat competent using the different utilities.

One thing that I have learned is that if you start with garbage ( a poorly formatted document ) and you just run it through a utility, you end up with garbage as your final product.

I think it is important to understand that no matter what utility you are using to convert from whatever format to another, you need to look at your original source document and see what sort of shape it is in.

There are going to be instances when you are going to have to spend time making corrections in Word (or whatever you use).

I guess what I am trying to say is that a good, clean format conversion depends on what you start out with and how much time you are willing to work on manually making corrections.

No utility is going to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. You have to be willing to use the utility as a tool and expect to put in some effort on your own to end up with a good finished product.

Just a rant ...I guess.

Thank you to all who have provided some great tools to work with and to all who share such great information as to how to use these tools.
Novasea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:24 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
as frustrating as that can be, novasea, it's an excellent point, and i think it's useful to be reminded of it from time to time. (irritating, but useful ! )
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2008, 05:23 PM   #3
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Agreed completely!
And one must just pay attention to the people who post those outstanding well formatted and correct eBooks and they will tell it takes hours, and even days, of hard work.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:27 AM   #4
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novasea View Post
Just a rant ...I guess.
You're terrible at rants. There was nothing irrational or overblown in that at all.

That was more like a clearly stated and well-argued point, that puts into even-more-apparent perspective the enormous amount of work put in by the people that upload books to Mobile Read.

Well-said.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote