Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-05-2016, 03:27 PM   #1
joelones
joelones can read faster than his screen refreshesjoelones can read faster than his screen refreshesjoelones can read faster than his screen refreshesjoelones can read faster than his screen refreshesjoelones can read faster than his screen refreshesjoelones can read faster than his screen refreshesjoelones can read faster than his screen refreshesjoelones can read faster than his screen refreshesjoelones can read faster than his screen refreshesjoelones can read faster than his screen refreshesjoelones can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: none
Dropped kobo - garbage?

My clumsy wife just dropped her kobo glo. Probably no higher than 3 feet and it was in a protective case. It of course no longer responds to anything (reset button/power button), screen is stuck on the page prior to the fall. The led lights first to blue and then blinks at green for a couple seconds then does nothing.

I opened it up, disassembled it, and can't really notice any cracks on the screen. Almost amazed that I can drop a nexus 7 with no damage and a kobo can't withstand such a fall.

Thoughts? Garbage?

Last edited by joelones; 09-05-2016 at 03:40 PM.
joelones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 04:31 PM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
It sounds like the glass substrate broke. Since the display won't change. Are there some lines on the display?

If the screen is broken, it's garbage.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2016, 04:42 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Please take a photo of the screen. Attach the photo in case it's too large.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:12 PM   #4
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I say she broke glass screen substrate and it displays what was on screen when it hit floor. With one or more angled display defects at point of broken substrate causing blank missing areas of display. Kobo doesn't sell replacement screens or replace broken screens. Everyone wanting a light weight reader contributes to selling delicate readers. Ereaders screens with flexable plastic substrate would make these screens more rugged without added weight.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:32 PM   #5
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Maybe the internal sd card popped out a bit. Try reseating that, also you may want to try reseating the battery connector.
freekobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2016, 06:06 PM   #6
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelones View Post
I opened it up, disassembled it, and can't really notice any cracks on the screen. Almost amazed that I can drop a nexus 7 with no damage and a kobo can't withstand such a fall.
Post a pic of the screen and we can confirm broken substrate. The substrate on an e-ink device is a literally paper thin sheet of glass which is why is so fragile (you can search here and find pictures of the substrate). A crack is often more obvious in what's displayed on the screen than looking at it in teardown.
It is possible that something has come loose in the electronics if the screen isn't cracked.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:21 PM   #7
Smartie
Addict
Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW,KOBO H2O
might be she want you to buy Aura one?
Smartie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:16 PM   #8
joelones
joelones can read faster than his screen refreshesjoelones can read faster than his screen refreshesjoelones can read faster than his screen refreshesjoelones can read faster than his screen refreshesjoelones can read faster than his screen refreshesjoelones can read faster than his screen refreshesjoelones can read faster than his screen refreshesjoelones can read faster than his screen refreshesjoelones can read faster than his screen refreshesjoelones can read faster than his screen refreshesjoelones can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: none
Thanks for the replies.

So, I took it apart, unscrewed, and pulled out the motherboard. Stopped short if removing the battey, no cracks that I can noticed, although the majority of the back of the screen is shielded with plastic. I verified wether the SD card was loose, in fact removing the mobo required me to pull out both screen ribbon connectors. Connected it all back and powered it on. No dice. He's a pic of the front, btw there's a cheap screen protector on. It's probably foobared.

http://imgur.com/a/6K6pm
joelones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:57 PM   #9
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

So, I took it apart, unscrewed, and pulled out the motherboard. Stopped short if removing the battey, no cracks that I can noticed, although the majority of the back of the screen is shielded with plastic. I verified wether the SD card was loose, in fact removing the mobo required me to pull out both screen ribbon connectors. Connected it all back and powered it on. No dice. He's a pic of the front, btw there's a cheap screen protector on. It's probably foobared.

http://imgur.com/a/6K6pm
Have you tried a hard reset?
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:16 PM   #10
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Screen looks intact. I think even with a broken substrate, you can still usually see something happening because parts of the screen still work. This looks like some other thing.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:55 PM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Yes, please take a photo - following our Posting Guidelines, of course.

For your convenience, we have a link to those Guidelines at the bottom of the screen.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:09 PM   #12
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

For your convenience, we have a link to those Guidelines at the bottom of the screen.
He posted an image with a link.

Can't see any cracks although the Center screen does have a bright blur due to a flash being used? You can tell it has a screen protector.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:26 PM   #13
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Screen does look OK. Rather than the garbage you could try to get a cheap Kobo with a broken screen off E-bay etc and try a transplant. Or sell it and someone will likely take the chance that the screen is good and try it themselves.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:34 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
My clumsy wife just dropped her kobo glo. Probably no higher than 3 feet and it was in a protective case. It of course no longer responds to anything (reset button/power button), screen is stuck on the page prior to the fall. The led lights first to blue and then blinks at green for a couple seconds then does nothing.
How do you get the LED lights to flash if the reset button and power button do not do anything? They only flash when the device is turned on and during the boot. That tells me something is happening, but the screen isn't responding. I cannot see a problem with the screen from the photo, so hopefully it is something else.

You can try plugging it into a PC, waiting a few seconds, and then trying to tap the "Connect" button on the screen. If you can find it, and the PC shows the device, then you know the screen is the problem. I don't have my Glo with me, but the connect button should be about three-quarters of the way down, just right of centre. If the LED starts flashing shortly after plugging in, then you might need to wait a bit longer to let it finish booting.

But, thinking about the LED flashing, it should flash until the device has booted. This is longer than "a few seconds". You get the pattern you describe if the battery has no charge. And I think if the internal SD card is missing. So, charge the device for a while, and reseat the SD card.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:11 AM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

I lifted my monitor up and look at the bottom, I don't see any guidelines.

John F is offline   Reply With Quote