Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-31-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
slieb17
slieb17 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindoe PaperWhite, iPad
Different Preferences Per Library???

I'm using Calibre to manage multiple libraries, but notice that the Preferences seem to apply to ALL libraries where ideally I'd prefer them to be unique PER library. For example, I'd like my Save-To-Disk options to be different across different libraries.

At present, the best I can do is to remember to update unique preferences each and every time I quick switch to a different library, which as you can imagine is inconvenient. Ideally, my preferences would be stored in the the librarie's unique metadata.db file, and be reset each time I open or switch to a different library.

Is this possible, and if so, when?
slieb17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by slieb17 View Post
I'm using Calibre to manage multiple libraries, but notice that the Preferences seem to apply to ALL libraries where ideally I'd prefer them to be unique PER library. For example, I'd like my Save-To-Disk parameters to be different across different libraries.

At present, the best I can do is to remember to update unique preferences each and every time I quick switch to a different library, which as you can imagine is inconvenient.

Ideally, my preferences would be stored in the the librarie's unique metadata.db file, and be reset each time I open or switch to a different library.

Is this possible, and if so, when?
There are user preferences that are stored with the Logon
This one require a different Logon (ID) to have alternate settings

There are Library preferences that are store In metadata.db.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
slieb17
slieb17 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindoe PaperWhite, iPad
A different login id woud not work. Not sure why CALIBRE supports multiple libraries as conveniently as it does but links preferences to a user and not a library. Any chance someone from the development team could weigh in here?
slieb17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:40 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Some preferences are per library and some are global. That is not going to change. *You* might think preference A should be per library, other people will disagree. The preferences that are per library are those that *I* think make the most sense to be per library.

If you want all your preferences to be per library use a batch script to launch calibre with a different value for the CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY env var.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:24 AM   #5
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by slieb17 View Post
A different login id woud not work. Not sure why CALIBRE supports multiple libraries as conveniently as it does but links preferences to a user and not a library. Any chance someone from the development team could weigh in here?
Quick preferences allows to quickly change using keyboard shortcuts the way files are imported. Maybe you should consult kiwidude he might be willing to add an option to change save to disk or send to device templates. I know it wont be automatic but would still be a lot quicker.
For all I know he might even be willing to add the ability to detect and change preferences by library in the plugin. Better ask for it in the quick preferences plugin thread.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
Maybe somebody could write a plugout, instead of a plugin?
Instead of being inside Calibre, it could start Calibre with your desired options. The more I think about it, the less humorous it sounds.
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:22 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleAndy View Post
Maybe somebody could write a plugout, instead of a plugin?
Instead of being inside Calibre, it could start Calibre with your desired options. The more I think about it, the less humorous it sounds.
I already have several different batch files to launch Calibre with different settings exactly as Kovid suggests. This works perfectly, but has the downside that you have to exit/restart Calibre for the change to come into effect.

What would be nice would be some sort of built-in Profile Manager which would allow you to switch between sets of User Settings without the need to exit/restart Calibre.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:33 AM   #8
Kaesar
Kaesar began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Some preferences are per library and some are global. That is not going to change. *You* might think preference A should be per library, other people will disagree. The preferences that are per library are those that *I* think make the most sense to be per library.

If you want all your preferences to be per library use a batch script to launch calibre with a different value for the CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY env var.
I came across this old Kovid's post and tried to figured out how to create the bash script he suggested.
I think this is the solution I was looking for to have completely separate settings for my two libraries.
Could someone please point me in the right direction to write such a script ?
Kaesar is offline   Reply With Quote