Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
beccas716
beccas716 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Unhappy Spacing between paragraphs not converting

Hi.

I am new to the whole making an epub thing. I have gotten everything perfect, except for the spacing between paragraphs. I am using Indesign CS6 and converting it to epub. Everytime I do so, the spacing between paragraphs is removed. I am not even sure where to start to getting it to stop removing the spacing between paragraphs. Any ideas? Please help! Thanks
beccas716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
If the paragraph spacing is correct in your input format but incorrect after a calibre conversion to epub the first things I would check on the calibre Convert - Look&Feel page are:
  • make sure the boxes for 'Remove spacing between paragraphs' and 'Insert blank line between paragraphs' are both unchecked.
  • make sure the 'Filter Style Information' tab does not have the 'Margins' or 'Padding' boxes checked.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Shouldn''t the first question be how were the blank lines added in InDesign? If they were just added by hitting the return or enter key, then surely it's expected behaviour?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
You may be right, PeterT, I've never seen or used InDesign.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
beccas716
beccas716 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Thanks for the replies.

In InDesign, the spaces are added with the return key but for some reason this isn't read when converting to epub format. I did a little research and found that when you go to your paragraph styles and add in "space before" and "space after" it creates a break between paragraphs, which it did finally!
beccas716 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, epub, paragraphs, spacing