Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-05-2019, 09:33 PM   #1
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Calibre Night Mode?

I'm very fond of white on black and the all white interface sears my eyeballs which are not young and new anymore. has this been accomplished and I haven't found out about it or how to set it? thanks.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 12:30 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
I'm very fond of white on black and the all white interface sears my eyeballs which are not young and new anymore. has this been accomplished and I haven't found out about it or how to set it? thanks.
I believe calibre uses whatever color theme your computer is set to across its entirety.

Personally when using the main interface I use the cover grid to avoid the searing of the old eyes, see attached.

When using the viewer you should be able to set the background and foreground colors as you see fit. I use a parchment background image (see attached) to reduce the searing of the eyeballs. You can see how I set it up in this post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	library.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	605.9 KB
ID:	175366   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre viewer screenshot-2.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	419.4 KB
ID:	175367  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-06-2019 at 12:38 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2019, 04:24 AM   #3
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
I believe calibre uses whatever color theme your computer is set to across its entirety.

Personally when using the main interface I use the cover grid to avoid the searing of the old eyes, see attached.

When using the viewer you should be able to set the background and foreground colors as you see fit. I use a parchment background image (see attached) to reduce the searing of the eyeballs. You can see how I set it up in this post.
thank you. I prefer list mode and really need a night mode these days. I'll checkout the parchment background. might ease the searing a bit. not sure windows has a night mode, or if it does it's not something I want universally.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:44 AM   #4
Gorgoth
Gorgoth began at the beginning.

Device: none
I think Win 10 has a night mode which some applications respect and use, not sure though since I've never used Win 10 nor do I know whether Calibre has that function or not.
Gorgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:05 AM   #5
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgoth View Post
I think Win 10 has a night mode which some applications respect and use, not sure though since I've never used Win 10 nor do I know whether Calibre has that function or not.
thank you. I'll do some research
Advert
Old 12-06-2019, 06:09 AM   #6
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgoth View Post
it was already set, but it doesn't interact with Calibre so no help there.

Last edited by pghaworth; 12-06-2019 at 06:55 AM.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:21 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
windows has no nightmode what you are refering to is for metro apps. Instead set your windows classic color theme to use dark colors and calibre will follow those colors.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:57 AM   #8
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
windows has no nightmode what you are refering to is for metro apps. Instead set your windows classic color theme to use dark colors and calibre will follow those colors.
love that idea, truly, however, plus, the only way to set it is to tell win 10 dark and Calibre doesn't respect the setting. there is no longer any way to do it the way you are suggesting. anything Classic no longer exists in windows 10 (pro)

and as others have mentioned, windows no longer offers that type of setting.

I even tried themes. messed up my system to try various things to make Calibre go dark. even with the setting in Calibre on system, it did not respect the settings.

please, please, please, we really need a Calibre night mode, dark mode, whatever you want to call it. windows no longer has a way to play nicely with Calibre. old eyes need it, Kovid. please.

(monetize it if need be, I'll pay, but please???)

Last edited by pghaworth; 12-06-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:01 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Microsoft might have removed the GUI for it but the settings still exist, see https://superuser.com/questions/9499...moved-in-win10

and

https://www.wintools.info/index.php/classic-color-panel
Old 12-06-2019, 05:15 PM   #10
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Microsoft might have removed the GUI for it but the settings still exist, see https://superuser.com/questions/9499...moved-in-win10

and

thanks. I'll give it a try. hope this won't prevent me from dark everywhere and that Calibre accepts it, set to system, since it wouldn't before.

I was able to make theme changes to dark, but Calibre refused to display them.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:18 PM   #11
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:

and

none of those settings shown apply to windows 10 pro. I would have to change the registry or install color panel on a maybe. maybe not the answer I need. thank you though.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:23 PM   #12
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
none of those settings shown apply to windows 10 pro. I would have to change the registry or install color panel on a maybe. maybe not the answer I need. thank you though.
and that grayeve theme is horrible. really bad
Old 12-06-2019, 05:26 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

There's no maybe. Change the registry or use the app to do it for you conveniently. The app even has an option to backup your current settings and restore them if you dont like the changes.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:34 PM   #14
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
There's no maybe. Change the registry or use the app to do it for you conveniently. The app even has an option to backup your current settings and restore them if you dont like the changes.
app didn't work. just tested. as with previous tests, Calibre remains white. win 10 has a very firm grip on things with recent releases which is why I hate it so much.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:52 PM   #15
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

the problem is, when you make these changes it changes other things you don't want changed and you waste time putting things one way then the other because it was bad. waste of time. when you're older you want cookbook, not to spend time playing with settings on a maybe and it IS a maybe. I spent my youth playing and configuring and re-configuring. those days are over.

I'm done. app didn't work, settings didn't work. high contrast theme is a disaster in a handbasket. maybe if I get really bored after I finish tax season I'll try again. I'll just wear for Calibre.

thanks again.