Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-08-2015, 12:08 PM   #1
uncletoma
Connoisseur
uncletoma doesn't litteruncletoma doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Looking for an ereader

Hi all, a newbie here.
Not a new reader, but (maybe) a new ereader user.
Well, till now, when i've not paperbook on my hands, i used my LG G Pad 8.3 tablet with Moon Reader+.
Yea, i well know, not the best solution ever, just only a (crap) substitute of the book (for example if i leave it at home or at work).
Now i'd like to try with a real ereader.
But:
1) i've tons of free books both on Kindle and Kobo (and other similar apps) apps and cloud. There's a way to download them via PC or Android apps and read them/convert with Calibre on ereader?
2) i'd like to have an ereader with Carta screen, not matters if 212 or 300 PPI (difference is not so big as Pearl vs Carta)
3) I'd like it with SD card in order to put there all ebooks that i've
4) i don't like to spent lotta money: i really don't know if i become an electronic reader or i stll prefear paper and glue ever and forever
Now, looking for ereader, i've some ideas:
1) the first that i looking for was the classic russian reader Poketbook Touch Lux 3
2) the second one is the french Bookeen Cybook Muse Essential, really cute one
3) i'm not so hurry, so i can wait for a Kindle/Kobo reader (ok, they don't have SD, but customer service should be better than an ebay seller - for Bookeen - or Osiander.de - for Powerbook - one. After all i'm not from Germany, but Osiander have the best EU price for this item, and it's one of the few Poketbook EU sellers) price reduction fot Christmas. Maybe i'll can find Paperwhite and/or Kobo Glo HD near 100/110€ instead 129.
Thanks in advance for your answers
uncletoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 02:43 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
2) for Kindle, yes, you can download via USB, but you will still have to specify which device or app you are downloading for. Actually, I don't think you can sideload DRMed books for axn app. You will have to use wifi or 3G for apps.

3) if you are not even sure you are going to stick with ereading, why do you need an SD card? 4gb or 8gb should be plenty, especially since you can redownload books at any time. No need to keep your entire library on the device.

I always recommend a Kindle, whichever model you like.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2015, 05:24 PM   #3
uncletoma
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
2) for Kindle, yes, you can download via USB, but you will still have to specify which device or app you are downloading for. Actually, I don't think you can sideload DRMed books for axn app. You will have to use wifi or 3G for apps.
I'm using PC Kindle app and, ywes, i just downloaded all books, but not tryed yet a conversion to epub format (i'm still newbie )

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
3) if you are not even sure you are going to stick with ereading, why do you need an SD card? 4gb or 8gb should be plenty, especially since you can redownload books at any time. No need to keep your entire library on the device.

I always recommend a Kindle, whichever model you like.
Because my collection, now, is on an SD card inside my LG tablet
I'm just finish to read some pages from this book:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_of_Contempt
and it's still amazing on paper or on screen
My problem with Kindle is... that i've tons of epub public ebooks. I well know that i can convert all of them with Calibre, but... after conversion they are as cool as epub version?
Old 11-09-2015, 01:15 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletoma View Post
3) i'm not so hurry, so i can wait for a Kindle/Kobo reader (ok, they don't have SD,
Some of the Kobos have a microSD card: Touch, Glo (not Glo HD), Aura, Aura HD, Aura H2O. Of these the H2O has a Carta screen.

With a Kobo you can also manage your collections with Calibre - as you have a whole lot of books, it would be a good idea for you to get started downloading them, stripping the DRM, and putting them all into Calibre before you load your device.

Bear in mind that the on-board storage of devices like the Glo HD is generally plenty for those of us who aren't reading comics/manga/books with enormous amounts of images.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:20 AM   #5
uncletoma
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Some of the Kobos have a microSD card: Touch, Glo (not Glo HD), Aura, Aura HD, Aura H2O. Of these the H2O has a Carta screen.
I well know, but Aura H2O is too expensive for me.

Quote:
With a Kobo you can also manage your collections with Calibre - as you have a whole lot of books, it would be a good idea for you to get started downloading them, stripping the DRM, and putting them all into Calibre before you load your device.
Great news
But i suppose that calibre should work with mostly/all ereader, right?
Now i need how to manage (and, if possible, sync) all of them (and, right, stripping away DRM from all free Amazon books that i've. Free with DRM... well, never undestand some aspects of capitalism).
If Glo HD drop around 100 bucks for christmas i'd buy it: i loved it's screen!!!
Or Paperwhite too.

Quote:
Bear in mind that the on-board storage of devices like the Glo HD is generally plenty for those of us who aren't reading comics/manga/books with enormous amounts of images.
Yea, indeed, and for comics i prefear my tablet, after all cbr/cbz compatibility is not so important for me on.
The french one (Bookeen) is really beautiful and well done (i don't know how are Poketbook devices), but it doesn't read mobi files and i've few of them.
Well, i can convert them to epub with Calibre... now i need to read a well done Calibre guide for beginners (or, better, for dummies)
Advert
Old 11-09-2015, 07:23 AM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
But i suppose that calibre should work with mostly/all ereader, right?
Calibre can load books onto most ereaders, but it can't manage collections on all ereaders.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:27 AM   #7
uncletoma
Connoisseur

Quote:
Calibre can load books onto most ereaders, but it can't manage collections on all ereaders.
Thanks a lot, now i can search for a compatibility list of devices for managing
Old 11-09-2015, 08:30 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Because the Glo HD uses ePub, if you belong to a library that has Overdrive access, you can get free eBooks to read since Overdrive supports ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:14 AM   #9
uncletoma
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Because the Glo HD uses ePub, if you belong to a library that has Overdrive access, you can get free eBooks to read since Overdrive supports ePub.
I don't know what's Overdrive
Old 11-09-2015, 11:25 AM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
I don't know what's Overdrive
Check our wiki for libraries to see what is available and you can also read about the various servers that are used by libraries. See EBook Lending Libraries. you can also see Overdrive
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:05 PM   #11
uncletoma
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Check our wiki for libraries to see what is available and you can also read about the various servers that are used by libraries. See EBook Lending Libraries. you can also see Overdrive
Thanks a lot, very intersting.
But not links for Italy (or Swiss)
Old 11-09-2015, 04:04 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Well, do a little research and add them. The library page is primarily entries shared by users.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:21 AM   #13
uncletoma
Connoisseur

Ok, i'm looking for it, and just sent a tweet to italian secretary/minister Dario Franceschini and former one Massimo Bray.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:58 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Ok, i'm looking for it, and just sent a tweet to italian secretary/minister Dario Franceschini and former one Massimo Bray.
Have you asked your local library if they offer an ebook service? That might be more effective than contacting government ministers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:28 AM   #15
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
I stumbled on one Swiss public library with an Overdrive collection:

http://www.bibliotheken-schaffhausen.ch/

But despite their alleged massive global expansion, I can't find any in Italy.
SteveEisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote