Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-13-2019, 07:23 AM   #1
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
Pocketbook InkPad 3 Pro vs Likebook Ares

I am having a hard time deciding between the Likebook Ares and the Pocketbook InkPad 3 Pro. Does anyone here has some experience with either of those ereaders?

The Likebook Ares and the InkPad 3 Pro cost basically the same. The Pocketbook can be bought from a local store, and the LikeBook has to be shipped from Spain or China.

However, they are quite different.

LikeBook Ares 294 € Glass E INk Carta HD Octa Core 1.5 GHZ processor Android 6 Wacom layer 7.8” 2GB 32GB 3300 mAh 268 g 1872×1404 300
Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro 260 € Glass Eink Carta 1GHzx2 linux epubs/pdfs/app/ capacitive 7.8” 1GB 16GB 1900 mAh 225 g 1872×1404 300

The Pocketbook runs a properietary Linux system, while the Likebook runs Android. These systems have different requirements and you see that back in the CPU and the battery, respectively 1GHz dualcore and 1900mAh and 1.5GHz OctaCore with 3300mAh. Still the Pocketbook can run for weeks, while the Likebook is said to be able to be on standby for weeks.

Both can be good at note taking. However, the LikeBook has a Wacom Layer for use with a stylus, that should be very precise.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:37 PM   #2
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I can't help you as I only know the Inkpad3 Pro but you can get the Ares for less and pay via Paypal

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=...SABEgIMMPD_BwE
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2019, 01:07 PM   #3
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
I have had several Pocketbooks and I also own an Onyx, which is an Android ereader, a close cousin of Likebook.

If you do more reading (without too many notes in the same device), then Pocketbook is better.

The problem with Android devices tends to be that they are not quite optimised for the hardware. Tons of available apps may seem appealing, but very few apps take into consideration the specifics of eink screen. Moreover, multitude of apps distracts from reading.

However, if notetaking is more important for you (along with syncing the notes across multiple devices), then go for the Android. If notetaking is the main thing for you, you may even want to consider the Remarkable device (remarkable.com), where the reading apps were originally limited, but are gradually becoming better.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:55 PM   #4
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

@Poppaea Thanks! Rather buy from Germany than Spain, too: Delivery time to the Netherlands is only days.

@Mobama Remarkable is rather upscale for me. I would like to stay around 300€.
My user scenario is studying scanned PDF's with OCR'ed text beneath it. I would like to write extended notes in the sidelines. Will the Likebook Ares and Onyx Nova be able to do that?

I agree that android on an e-reader is rather overkill. (I am already thinking about the possibility to change the uboot into dual booting to linux. ) However, without all those apps and bloatware, would it work neatly for my intended use?
Old 11-16-2019, 05:53 AM   #5
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
I agree that android on an e-reader is rather overkill. (I am already thinking about the possibility to change the uboot into dual booting to linux. ) However, without all those apps and bloatware, would it work neatly for my intended use?
And your intended use is notetaking? If you are okay taking notes just by copy-paste in the same device, no syncing, then Pocketbook is sufficient. If you want syncing to the computer and you insist on a stylus, then go for the Likebook.
Advert
Old 11-16-2019, 06:16 AM   #6
Markismus
Guru

@mobana Usually I select a piece of text and type or write some lines. Would that work with the pocketbook? With the Kobo H2O it goes too slow to make it work.

I just ordered the pocketbook: Main reason is that I can send it back if it doesn't work, while the Onyx and LikeBook are a bit harder to return.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:22 AM   #7
mobama
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
@mobana Usually I select a piece of text and type or write some lines. Would that work with the pocketbook? With the Kobo H2O it goes too slow to make it work.

I just ordered the pocketbook: Main reason is that I can send it back if it doesn't work, while the Onyx and LikeBook are a bit harder to return.
Yes, selecting some text in a book and converting this to a note works in Pocketbook. This particular Pocketbook even has a Notes app that lists all your notes throughout your library and selecting the note will open up the book on that spot, which is a great feature. And the note text can be modified by typing.

Since you already ordered the device, I hope you will have a happy time discovering its capabilities.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:39 PM   #8
mtreader
Connoisseur
mtreader began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Nova 2, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
Yes, selecting some text in a book and converting this to a note works in Pocketbook. This particular Pocketbook even has a Notes app that lists all your notes throughout your library and selecting the note will open up the book on that spot, which is a great feature. And the note text can be modified by typing.
Does the Pocketbook also enable you to email selected notes to yourself? I really want that ability and can't find info on what readers offer it. Thanks.
mtreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:31 PM   #9
Markismus
Guru

@mtreader I just exported notes containing highlights and comments and it generates a html-file that looks like this:

The short line lengths is literally taken from the article columns of the PDF.
You'll have to connect to your PC or use Dropbox to get to it. Of course as soon as someone hacks an email app into the pocketbook, you're good to go. I haven't seen any email sending possibilties, though.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:10 PM   #10
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
@Markismus how are you liking the pocketbook so far? you got the pro, right?

I'm stuck in a quandary... ordered a Kobo Clara HD and a (help me!) Kindle Oasis latest gen. I doubt that either are what I really want and then there's the Inkpad 3 (not pro). haven't ordered it yet, but not sure I really want the Clara or the Oasis either.

Pluses:
Kobo - not a kindle, prefer that form factor for ease of transport
Oasis - none. not a fan at all on any level, but trying it out
Inkbook 3 - many, including audio and tts, sd card slot, etc
(Inkpad 3 pro - con - no sd slot - can the internal sd be upgraded?)

help please!
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:24 PM   #11
tourneur
Zealot
tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
I'm stuck in a quandary... ordered a Kobo Clara HD and a (help me!) Kindle Oasis latest gen. I doubt that either are what I really want and then there's the Inkpad 3 (not pro). haven't ordered it yet, but not sure I really want the Clara or the Oasis either.
Seems like you also need to decide which screen size you want. The Inkpad 3 is massive compared to the Clara.

I recently had an Inkpad 3, coming from Kobo ereaders. The hardware is pretty good. The big screen is great, front light is good (some light bleed), nice soft touch plastic, page turns buttons are a bit slim, the on-off button is horrible (very hard to press).

But I was really disappointed with the Pocketbook software. It's laggy, cluttered and the reading settings are very crude. No text justification, only 3 margin/spacing settings, steps in font sizes are too big and very few reading progress features (no chapter progress for example). In theory most of these issues could be mitigated by installing Koreader, but it runs like crap on the Inkpad 3.
tourneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:31 PM   #12
Markismus
Guru

@tourneur Power button is indeed crap! But that could still be the software. Sometimes I need to press twice. Sometimes I need to press both power en page up.

Still need to look into koreader. I’ll get it up and running as soon as I have Pocketbook’s software as I like it.

@pghaworth I looked at the Kobo Forma; I remembered I really hate Kobo Nickel, its software. So that was a big minus for the Forma. Also the rumor that they soldered the microSD to the PCB didn’t make me happy. It’s nice and light and won’t break as easily. Still would need a cover to let the ereader stand, if I don’t want to hold it.

But it is also nice to have a software that doesn’t alienate hackers. So I rather like the Pocketbook. I also rather like the note taking features, its collection in an app and its ability to export. I am starting to like the dictionary, but that’s because I spent 2 days hacking a script to get dictionaries into it that I want. I like that the screen is big enough to read PDF’s.

I think I have been reading on it for two to three hours a day since I got it on the 20th of November. It will do. The next ereader should be truly amazing, though! This one isn’t. It’s nice.

Last edited by Markismus; 12-04-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:25 AM   #13
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Markimus thanks. my last Kobo was in 2011. I returned it and bought another Kindle. I ordered the Clara but it isn't here yet so I can't even speak to it and whether I like it. the Forma didn't move me, too much like the Oasis but different so I passed on it.

@tourneur great info. thanks. pretty much giving the Inkpad a pass right now. while I like the idea of more real estate, I also like being able to poke my reader into my teeny purse. and carry it.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:26 PM   #14
Marco77
Connoisseur
Marco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: PW3, Clara HD, PB740
Inkpad 3 vs. Clara HD, and a credit-card

https://cdn.imgchest.com/files/x84apcndz4l.jpg

I have to agree with the others, the lag is noticeable on the inkpad 3, it feels sluggish at everything (with a dual-core 1GHz SoC!!). Yet it ticks a lot of boxes:
touch large screen (300ppi iirc), adaptive lighting&temp, sd slot, wifi/bt, physical buttons, rootable, SDK/toolchain.
Minor bad point, still no usb-c (inkpad x has it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourneur View Post
steps in font sizes are too big and very few reading progress features (no chapter progress for example). In theory most of these issues could be mitigated by installing Koreader, but it runs like crap on the Inkpad 3.
worse, the EPUB book I'm currently reading has CSS rules specified with pt units, text won't even adjust!

Tried Cool Reader 3 yesterday (some German forum prepackaged one es^p. for this device), was kinda underwhelmed to say the least & switched back to the regular app.

Still happy with the purchase, on sale at < 150EUR it was a steal

Last edited by Marco77; 12-05-2019 at 05:44 PM. Reason: sp.
Marco77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:51 PM   #15
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

that is a good price