Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-07-2019, 09:19 AM   #31
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
I have a reading rotation on my kindle that I cycle through. It has a mix of SFF, classics and nonfiction. I don't pick and choose what I feel like reading, I just read whatever is next. I have found that taking the "choice" out of prevents a reading slump for some reason.
People are so different. Not being able to choose would take all joy out of reading for me and make it a chore. I would not be able to read at all. Freedom to choose (pretty much everything, not only reading material) is hugely important to me.

That said, I've read that people are supposed to be happier when there are fewer choices. Personally I've never understood that. Perhaps having to constantly pick and choose is stressful for some people, but I enjoy it.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:16 AM   #32
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
That said, I've read that people are supposed to be happier when there are fewer choices. Personally I've never understood that. Perhaps having to constantly pick and choose is stressful for some people, but I enjoy it.
I've always rebelled at that notion, but it has some validity and has been studied. The problem comes from too many items that are difficult to tell apart and apprehension that there is a bad choice that needs to be detected and avoided.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:30 AM   #33
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
People are so different. Not being able to choose would take all joy out of reading for me and make it a chore. I would not be able to read at all. Freedom to choose (pretty much everything, not only reading material) is hugely important to me.

It isn't so much that I'm not choosing, but that I'm choosing ahead of time whenever I place a completed series on my kindle. I'm simply removing the "what next" choice. With about 20 series running, I simply cycle through. Once I'm done a series, then I load up another one from calibre and it goes into the rotation cycle.

It certainly isn't a method I'd recommend to most people, but it has improved my reading satisfaction at least 50% since I started doing it this way back in '16 or so.
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:02 PM   #34
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
It isn't so much that I'm not choosing, but that I'm choosing ahead of time whenever I place a completed series on my kindle. I'm simply removing the "what next" choice. With about 20 series running, I simply cycle through. Once I'm done a series, then I load up another one from calibre and it goes into the rotation cycle.

It certainly isn't a method I'd recommend to most people, but it has improved my reading satisfaction at least 50% since I started doing it this way back in '16 or so.
Hmm there might be something in what you say. Possibly just keeping fewer books on the device would do the trick. Or not... Some people are hard to please. (meaning myself, of course.)
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:02 PM   #35
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
It is well known, in the retail jewelry business, that giving the customer to many choices tends to confuse them and they have a harder time making a choice.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:46 PM   #36
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
It is well known, in the retail jewelry business, that giving the customer to many choices tends to confuse them and they have a harder time making a choice.
Apache
Sounds true to me. It took me several months to figure out the optimum number of series to cycle through. It wasn't even until the next year that I realized it wasn't necessarily the number but the time between each return. 2 months between a series works great for me. Now that my reading time has dropped I'm keeping less series on the kindle but still keeping that 2 month cycle.
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 06:42 PM   #37
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Apache
I've read that you have give a small child at the most a choice between two things - "so little Jimmy, so you want a hamburger or chicken nuggets" rather than "so little Jimmy, what do you want".
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 06:43 PM   #38
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sounds true to me. It took me several months to figure out the optimum number of series to cycle through. It wasn't even until the next year that I realized it wasn't necessarily the number but the time between each return. 2 months between a series works great for me. Now that my reading time has dropped I'm keeping less series on the kindle but still keeping that 2 month cycle.
Interesting, I do binge read when I find a new author, but if the books are too similar, then yea, I get tired of them pretty quickly. I do use your strategy with audio books with great effect.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:57 PM   #39
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
On the rare occasion where I don't feel like reading I *SHOCK* do something else for a while!
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:33 PM   #40
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
On the rare occasion where I don't feel like reading I *SHOCK* do something else for a while!
Yep. Though I understand the pressure folks put on themselves to read. I used to do the same. Somehow I've gotten over it. (Although I still feel an unreasonable tinge of "guilt" sometimes when I'm not reading.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:54 PM   #41
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
Reading, other than perhaps required reading at University has never seemed unattractive or a chore to me. I'd have a harder time fielding the antithetical question - how do you put a good book down so that other obligations don't get pushed aside?

If "readers block" crosses my path, like others I start with a bit of a favourite author or an "easy" read then move on to Nabokov or what have you.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:55 AM   #42
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I've read that you have give a small child at the most a choice between two things - "so little Jimmy, so you want a hamburger or chicken nuggets" rather than "so little Jimmy, what do you want".
Small child? I have one friend who can spend an hour studying the menu at a restaurant (I'm talking a menu with maybe 20 choices). This includes asking everyone at the table about every menu item, consulting the waitperson, etc. The one time we went with her to a prix fixe dinner, she managed to make a production of ordering leaving several members of the Hart House staff rather bewildered (how hard can it be to order the one and only multi-course meal of the day?).
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:34 AM   #43
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
Sounds like a self-limiting problem. Order like that and your friends won't shouldn't invite you to dinner again. Whereas it would be frowned upon to starve little children who do the same.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:23 AM   #44
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
The issue isn't not feeling like reading, the issue is feeling like reading but none of the books in your to be read pile appeal to you.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:25 AM   #45
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Small child? I have one friend who can spend an hour studying the menu at a restaurant (I'm talking a menu with maybe 20 choices). This includes asking everyone at the table about every menu item, consulting the waitperson, etc. The one time we went with her to a prix fixe dinner, she managed to make a production of ordering leaving several members of the Hart House staff rather bewildered (how hard can it be to order the one and only multi-course meal of the day?).
My mother was like that. Since she was the youngest of 13, I always suspected she liked the attention. Of course, it could be just one of those shopping experience things.