Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old Yesterday, 03:21 AM   #16
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco77 View Post
Still happy with the purchase, on sale at < 150EUR it was a steal
I switched back from the Pro to the normal Inkpad 3 because I snatched a Warehouse Deal one for 145€ Thankfully I was still in the window to send the Pro back for a full refund.

Quote:
worse, the EPUB book I'm currently reading has CSS rules specified with pt units, text won't even adjust!
We must be reading the same book! I started one yesterday and was totally bummed I couldn't change anything to my liking. As it was a library book I was a bit out of control, because to change the CSS I would have had to strip it and I hate to do that. Thank goodness it was a short book and I just read it in one go and finished it in the wee hours.

So, I do have to admit that after the initial phase of "new device awe" there are a couple of things not so endearing about this thing and I do understand those who are not smitten.

I am not deterred by its slowness but by the fact it doesn't go back to the book after google-ing or wiki-ing something. One has to go back to the homescreen and then open the book again. This is keeping me to use one of the best features of an ebook reader: The ability to look up stuff in a second. The whole shebang one has to go through with the Pocketbook makes it no better than getting up, taking the encyclopedia from the shelf, looking it up, putting it back and returning to the couch. Kinda weird retro experience, thanks to PB.

The software is very customizable only the things that matter aren't very versatile. Like tourneur said:

Quote:
But I was really disappointed with the Pocketbook software. It's laggy, cluttered and the reading settings are very crude. No text justification, only 3 margin/spacing settings, steps in font sizes are too big and very few reading progress features (no chapter progress for example).
I work around the justification problem by conversing the book in Calibre but I shouldn't have to. As with font sizes and spacing, I get by with what it offers, but I do understand if this doesn't cut it for everyone.

The screen and the lighting, albeit being too dark, but because of being very even are awesome, however.

All this being said, it is really nice for 145€ and kinda underwhelming for 229€ or even worse 269€ for the Pro I had.

Last edited by Poppaea; Yesterday at 03:22 AM. Reason: ETA Grammar, but there will be more atrociousness
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:13 AM   #17
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s)
I have a Likebook plus (t80s) quad-core 1.5Ghz, 7.8" and 1GB RAM. I don't know how you manage to read pdf textbooks with such a limited amount of RAM. Mine is terribly slow and too little for that purpose.

Last edited by viceant; Yesterday at 08:16 AM. Reason: correct
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM   #18
nhedgehog
Addict
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco77 View Post
... worse, the EPUB book I'm currently reading has CSS rules specified with pt units, text won't even adjust!

Tried Cool Reader 3 yesterday (some German forum prepackaged one es^p. for this device), was kinda underwhelmed to say the least & switched back to the regular app.
Did you try this Coolreader skin (from a from sergkv12-Russian forum):
https://yadi.sk/d/xlPFSVOk3dtSVg
From the readme (googletranslated):
Quote:
1. Increased size
- font in the menu,
- battery images
- font for displaying the number of pages in the dialog
- button for switching to the pages in the menu

2. Replaced buttons:
- go to the pages in the menu
- toolbar quotes

3. Changed the toolbar of quotes (the logic of the work remains the same)
- all toolbar buttons process touchscreen commands
- added Up, Down buttons to the toolbar
Button Assignment:
The leftmost V - save the citara, the far right X - close the window without saving the quote
Buttons A, A + -, C + - buttons selectors of actions (when tap on the buttons Up, Down)
The Up, Down buttons are the same as the physical buttons to the right, left

4. In the dictionary:
- search by exact word match is disabled
- increased the number of lines in the list with the meaning of words.

5. keymaps.ini Fixed key codes for quotes. The right button (next page) selects the next paragraph.
6. Added option to select pb740fw5.cr3skin (the correct main menu is displayed)

Overwrite the entire system folder to the device. The skin is copied and keymaps.ini Who needs only the skin, rewrite it with a replacement only.
In the CR3 settings, select the pb740fw5.cr3skin skin.

Last edited by nhedgehog; Yesterday at 12:10 PM.
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote