Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 03-12-2021, 04:00 PM   #1
LightishRedd
LightishRedd began at the beginning.

Device: none
Recommendations for wireless earbuds that have controls for skipping back.

I'm looking for a good pair of wireless earbuds that have the ability to skip backwards 15 - 30 seconds while listening to podcasts and audiobooks at work. I work around somewhat loud machinery and find myself having to replay things when I mishear something. I was looking at the JBL True Wireless Flash X because they seem to have good features and good battery life (they're also on sale for $129 @ jbl.com), but they have no skip back feature. I don't mind spending up to $200 for a pair.

What does everyone recommend?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
LightishRedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 06:14 PM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I can't think of any earbuds that I've seen that have a skip back feature.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2021, 10:26 PM   #3
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightishRedd View Post
I'm looking for a good pair of wireless earbuds that have the ability to skip backwards 15 - 30 seconds while listening to podcasts and audiobooks ...
Apple AirPods will skip backward and forward. The amount of time it skips back/forth depends on the app you're using, e.g., Audible app lets you set the amount of time.

On regular AirPods, you skip forward by double-tapping the AirPod, triple-tap to skip backward. On AirPods Pro, you squeeze the stem. I think Siri may also be an option.

Beats & PowerBeats earphones have similar abilities.

ETA: AirPods Pro also has noise cancelling, which is helpful in a loud environment.

Last edited by odamizu; 03-12-2021 at 11:33 PM.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 06:25 AM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Apple AirPods will skip backward and forward. The amount of time it skips back/forth depends on the app you're using, e.g., Audible app lets you set the amount of time.

On regular AirPods, you skip forward by double-tapping the AirPod, triple-tap to skip backward. On AirPods Pro, you squeeze the stem. I think Siri may also be an option.

ETA: AirPods Pro also has noise cancelling, which is helpful in a loud environment.
Learn something new every day. I've got the AirPod pros but didn't know you could do that. I'll have to try that.

Thanks
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 09:25 PM   #5
LightishRedd
LightishRedd began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post

Thanks for the ideas. I sort of figured that skip back time would depend on the app. I'm not much of an Apple fan myself. I should have mentioned that I'll be using these on an Android phone. I'll check out the Beats earbuds and see what they have to offer.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
LightishRedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2021, 02:02 PM   #6
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
The ones I use do. Sometimes I get confused with some of the commands, but I have accidentally rewound what I'm listening to

These are the TOZO ones I use:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use them a lot with music -- I'm sure they are not as good as some of the higher priced or fancier brands, but I have a bad tendency to destroy headphones eventually, so don't spend much money on them. I've been happy with these.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 08:09 PM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I offer this as info rather than as a recommendation as a "best buy"...

I have a pair of Samsung Galaxy earbuds that I use with an Android smartphone. A bit expensive but I've been happy with them. I've had them about a year so they may not be the latest model.

They have a double-tap and a triple-tap function. What these do may vary depending on the app you're currently using. For example:
  • In my podcast app (Podcast Addict) a double-tap (on either earbud) skips forward 30secs and a triple-tap skips back 30sec.
  • In my favourite epub text-to-speech app (@Voice Aloud Reader) double-tap skips forward one sentence and triple-tap skips back one sentence.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote